Scholarship awarded, but not received

Started by Cadetter, August 10, 2019, 07:46:06 PM

Cadetter

Hi everyone! I was notified Jun 7 that I received the CAP academic scholarship, and quickly sent in all required forms (& got some confirmation of receipt). I emailed inquiring the status in early July, and heard back on July 10th that documents needed to be validated, etc. and no timeline could be given.

Does anyone know when scholarships are typically disbursed? My semester is starting in 9 days, and I've heard and received nothing since July 10th, so I'm fairly concerned.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Spam

I have heard the same question from my people.

School started here on 1 AUG, and colleges are in session this week, with payments due.

My recommendation is to, if possible, modify your loan documentation to accept a higher loan, which you could then pay back if/when the CAP scholarship ever arrives. That's what my people are doing, unfortunately.  The lesson is: be thankful for ANY scholarships, but have a backup plan.

V/r
Spam

Spam

Update:

I checked with one awardee who called NHQ/CP a couple of weeks ago, the word was that they would try to get to it soon. They are, 'working on it'.

I can only conclude that you need to make plans to not have CAP money in time, and to tentatively have it by winter semester at best.

V/r
Spam
PS remember what they say about gift horses.

Cadetter

Thankfully I have two jobs and other scholarships, so if I don't have it this month, it's not a life-altering issue for me, but I'm sure some awardees are in MUCH more of a tight spot. Since it's technically supposed to be used in 2019, it would seem useful for us to receive it in 2019...

Not sure what a winter semester is, my university has fall/spring/summer. Most schools on the semester system start this month, and quarters start next month, so I would imagine the goal would be for scholarships to be sent at least by next month...

Should I inquire with NHQ every couple of weeks, or just try to patiently wait?
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

MSG Mac

Check with your Bursar's office to see if they have been notified the scholarship was in the works. They should give you some time for the processing of the award.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: Cadetter on August 10, 2019, 09:20:52 PMShould I inquire with NHQ every couple of weeks, or just try to patiently wait?

If this is going to cause you any hardship or hassle, I would make it weekly.

Have you brought this to the attention of your Wing CC?

"That Others May Zoom"

Offutteer

Quote from: MSG Mac on August 12, 2019, 01:55:10 AM
Check with your Bursar's office to see if they have been notified the scholarship was in the works. They should give you some time for the processing of the award.

CAP sends it directly to the cadet, rather than to the school for the benefit of the cadet.  In previous years, the money went out in May or so, so the cadet could end up at a different school (Late acceptance, etc.)