Main Menu

Leadership ribbon

Started by vandy, June 03, 2005, 08:23:43 PM

vandy

I'm buying all my new uniforms, ribbons, etc. and I had a quick question on ribbons. I have heard that chaplains coming in need to get both the membership ribbon and the leadership ribbon because we are automatically given "technician" rating in our speciality track. Does anyone know if this is true? I looked at the regs, and I think it's right, but I don't want to wear the wrong things. Thanks!

arajca

I would buy it, but don't wear it until your tech rating shows up on National. I know there are senor members who say seniors shouldn't wear ribbons, but it is up to you. Since ribbons are optional fo seniors, getting your first two and a holder then holding off wearing them for a couple weeks if probably best. Keep in mind that you need to complete Level I before wearing the Membership ribbon.

MIKE

Quote from: CAPR 265-111. Chaplain Specialty Track Training. The Chaplain Service Executive Council recommends to the Director, Leadership Development and Membership Services, the criteria for chaplain service specialty track. Upon appointment, chaplains are awarded the 221 Specialty Track with a technician specialty rating.

Emphasis added.
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Quote from: arajca on June 03, 2005, 09:02:05 PM
I would buy it, but don't wear it until your tech rating shows up on National. I know there are senor members who say seniors shouldn't wear ribbons, but it is up to you. Since ribbons are optional fo seniors, getting your first two and a holder then holding off wearing them for a couple weeks if probably best. Keep in mind that you need to complete Level I before wearing the Membership ribbon.

If you've earned the ribbons and they are awarded and in your records, wear them if you choose.  Senior Members shouldn't wear ribbons...bull crap!
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pylon

Don't forget, the ribbon is not actually automatic once you earn your technician rating.  You must fill out the CAP Form 2A, indicate award of "other" ribbon, and specify "Leadership Ribbon" and for what specialty rating in the remarks section.  This form should be signed as "requested by" your PDO and can be authorized by the simple signature of your unit commander.  Once that is signed and in your file, you may wear the ribbon.

The same applies to the membership ribbon.  You may complete Level I training, but you may not wear the ribbon until you fill out the aforementioned CAPF 2A to authorize wear of the ribbon. 

Yes, you would be eligible for the ribbon upon your official appointment as Chaplain.  Simply remember to do the paperwork for it.   As for wearing or not wearing of ribbons, it is entirely a personal decision.  I wear mine on occassions, public events, and ceremonies and leave them off for weekly meetings.  This is not a rule of thumb - it's just the way I personally do it.  Each member should decide for themselves how and when they want to wear their ribbons.  Wearing them all the time or not wearing them at all are equally acceptable.  There is no right or wrong way, if it falls within uniform guidelines.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major_Chuck

I agree with Michael.  I tend to wear the ribbons on certain occassions and leave them off for routine worknights.  They get dirty too fast and replacing them can become costly.

Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

MIKE

I don't wear ribbons on the Service Uniform shirts... I would, If I was instructed to do so, but I don't see the need for it normally... I save all the bling for the Service Dress where ribbons are required... I guess it goes along with that unwritten rule/tradition that officers in the USAF don't wear ribbons on the Service Uniform shirts.

I used to wear all my ribbons and badges every time I wore blues WIWAC... When I became an SM I started not wearing them on the shirts... Now that I've tried it I do think it looks better with just the nametag and GT badge... It is certainly easier to set up the uniform.

If you are going to wear ribbons regardless of whether or not you wear them on the aviator shirt, Service Uniform shirts or Service Dress, please make every effort to be sure that they are worn correctly... That they are in the proper order of precedence and not worn upside down... That goes for cadets too, though it is usually harder to wear cadet ribbons upside down.

McChord Squadron Rack Builder
Mike Johnston