Senior member glider training - does this really happen?

Started by xray328, July 14, 2017, 01:34:50 PM

xray328

I was just looking at the glider program and there are references to senior members getting glider training at the members expense.  Does anyone actually do this? Are there cost advantages over training at a local club?  I'd kinda feel like a burden even asking for glider training in a system that already seems overtaxed with cadets needing o-rides etc.

Eclipse

Yes, including your wing, however your comment about the shortage of airframes and pilots is salient, especially right now.
We're losing another one next week (I'm taking it to the depot for repair).

Generally adult instruction would happen after or around cadet rides once they are done for the day - you've got the
people there, might as well make use of them before you pack everything up.

With glider flying at such a premium these days, however, anyone with more then a casual goal is probably better off
seeking it out elsewhere.

Makes a good incentive for a CC or other adult staff to act as the bus driver that day if they know they can get a ride themselves.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capt Thompson

Michigan Wing does them. They do glider training in Owosso about once a month. Cadets are priority, of course, but then any Seniors that want to fly can do so, I think the cost is only $25 or maybe $35 to fly. Several members of Encampment staff got glider flights last week in Alpena. It's a nice incentive to drive Cadets up to Owosso for glider flights, knowing you'll get the opportunity to fly as well.
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: 1st Lt Thompson on July 14, 2017, 02:00:38 PM
Michigan Wing does them. They do glider training in Owosso about once a month. Cadets are priority, of course, but then any Seniors that want to fly can do so, I think the cost is only $25 or maybe $35 to fly. Several members of Encampment staff got glider flights last week in Alpena. It's a nice incentive to drive Cadets up to Owosso for glider flights, knowing you'll get the opportunity to fly as well.

Can someone truck his butt up from Indiana to get in on that? That's a lot cheaper than the nosebleed rate the only glider club in the state here charges for membership and instruction. I'll go all the way to CFI if they'll let me so I can train other senior members.
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

PHall

It happens in CAWG , but Cadet O Rides have first priority so it could take some time .

Huey Driver

I can't vouch for other flight academies, but Northeast Region's glider academies have taken senior member students in the past. They completed the same curriculum as the cadet students, but typically yielded to letting the cadets fly first daily.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

coudano

Taking "a flight" at the end of the o-ride day is one thing...

Using CAP's glider program as your primary avenue to earning a private pilot certificate glider is another thing...

*IF* you happen to live where a CAP glider and CFIG happen to be, and you can make a deal... then maybe...
If both of those things aren't the case, I'd look elsewhere.

I used to drive 1.5 one way to fly with the "local" glider club.  For me, at that time, it was worth it.

xray328

Georgia Wing seems to support it more than others I've seen...

https://gawg.cap.gov/wp/cap-glider-program/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHall

I have a friend of mine who got his Glider Licence through CAP, it took just over two years.
And he was there every time they flew too, he was the Squadron Commander at the time.