Main Menu

New Wing King

Started by Smokey, January 24, 2010, 05:02:37 AM

Smokey

From Military.com....
Schimelfening to lead Civil Air Patrol wing

The Associated Press
Posted : Saturday Jan 23, 2010 14:20:10 EST

CHAMBERLAIN, S.D. — Maj. Teresa Schimelfening of Vermillion is assuming command of the Civil Air Patrol's South Dakota Wing.

Schimelfening takes the reins from Col. Mike Beason of Rapid City, who has held the wing commander position for four years and six months.

Upon taking command Saturday at the wing's conference in Chamberlain, Schimelfening will be promoted to colonel, which is temporary until completion of her four-year term as wing commander.

Schimelfening is an Army veteran who served on active duty from May 1976 until February 1985, beginning her service in the Women's Army Corps. She joined the Civil Air Patrol in February 2004.

Must be big news to be an AP story !!!!

Wow...only just short of 6 years in CAP and already Wing CC!!!!   
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

flyguy06

Must be the year for Ladies.

Lt. Col. Lisa Robinson Appointed Wing Commander-Elect for Alabama Wing   

Lt. Col. Lisa Robinson, of Birmingham, Alabama, has been selected as the Wing Commander-elect for the Alabama Wing of the Civil Air Patrol.  The Change of Command Ceremony will be held at the Wing Conference in Birmingham, February 6-7, 2010.  Col. Michael Oakman, current wing commander also of Birmingham, will relinquish command to her in a formal ceremony presided over by national and regional officers with Alabama CAP volunteers in attendance.  Robinson will be the first woman to command the Alabama Wing.

Lt. Col. Robinson has completed the five levels of senior member training, concluding with the Gill Robb Wilson Award in December, 2007.  This award recognizes those senior members who have dedicated themselves to leadership and personal development in Civil Air Patrol.  It was first awarded in 1964 and honors the late Gill Robb Wilson, the founder of Civil Air Patrol (CAP) and its first executive officer.

Each level required Robinson to become more involved in CAP activties, master skills in one of 23 technical areas and develop leadership ability.  She has a master rating in flight operations and cadet programs, as well as a senior rating in public affairs.  A private pilot, she is also a Satellite-Transmitted Digital Imagining System (SDIS) operator, a mission observer, and mission Information Officer in addition to other ES qualifications.
She has multiple Civil Air Patrol awards, including an Exceptional Service Award, Commander's Commendation with three bronze clasps, and the Yeager Award.  Other awards were given for her excellence in service to the Alabama Wing and Civil Air Patrol.

Lt. Col. Robinson is currently Chief of Staff and Acting Vice Commander for the Alabama Wing.  She has held commander, deputy commander for seniors at Alabama's 117th CAP Squadron in Birmingham. She completed National Staff College at Maxwell AFB, Ala, in 2007.

Robinson is employed by the Baptist Health System in Birmingham, Ala., as an application analyst, providing 24-hour support for the Radiology Management System, networked to seven facilities.  She earned an Associate Degree in Applied Science in Radiological Technology with honors from Jefferson State Jr. College, a Bachelor of Science in Allied Health and a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

Stonewall

How long has Robinson been in CAP?
Serving since 1987.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Smokey on January 24, 2010, 05:02:37 AM

Wow...only just short of 6 years in CAP and already Wing CC!!!!

It never said in that article just how long she had been a member of CAP. But the late Col Julius Goldman of MAWG and later NER wasn't even a member of CAP (In fact until that time he had a very bad opinion of CAP, based on his experience as a FBO owner) when he was asked to accept Command of MAWG in 1965
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

JC004

She joined when I was a C/Major.  Newbies...  >:D

RiverAux

Shouldn't it be "Wing Queen?"

EMT-83

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 24, 2010, 05:26:49 AM

Lt Col Cassandra Huchko will be the new Connecticut Wing Queen.

flyguy06

And I would be remiss not to mention my own Wing Commander COL Tonya Boylan who took command of GAWG Last November.

Cherokeepilot

I am certain that all these folks are well qualified, but are any of them pilots?
73s

Spike

oh no....its a conspiracy conspired by our National Commander (who just happens to be female!!) 

RiverAux

Quote from: Cherokeepilot on January 24, 2010, 08:24:39 PM
I am certain that all these folks are well qualified, but are any of them pilots?
73s
Why does that matter?  If CAP really thought it important that wing commanders be pilots, it could easily make it a requirement.  Of course, we all know that it is almost an unoffical requirement...

flyguy06

Quote from: Cherokeepilot on January 24, 2010, 08:24:39 PM
73s

The incomming ALWG Commander is a Private pilot.

DG

Quote from: RiverAux on January 24, 2010, 08:33:44 PM
  Of course, we all know that it is almost an unoffical requirement...

In your dreams.

RiverAux

Quote from: DG on January 24, 2010, 09:54:05 PM

In your dreams.
Are you disputing the fact that pilots disproportionally serve in command slots in CAP?  I'm not even saying that it shouldn't be that way, but it is a fact that non-pilot Wing Commanders are in the minority when in fact an overwhelming majority of CAP senior members are not pilots. 

This "rule" isn't quite as strong at the squadron level, but non-pilots in command of flying squadrons are pretty rare (though it happens -- heck, I was one). 

exFlight Officer

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 24, 2010, 04:44:43 PM
And I would be remiss not to mention my own Wing Commander COL Tonya Boylan who took command of GAWG Last November.

Beat me to it. :)

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 24, 2010, 04:44:43 PM

She and I are grads of the 2009 Pacific Region Staff College. Very belated congrats to her!
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Spike

Quote from: RiverAux on January 24, 2010, 10:47:58 PM
  Of course, we all know that it is almost an unofficial requirement...

In your dreams.
Are you disputing the fact that pilots disproportionally serve in command slots in CAP?  I'm not even saying that it shouldn't be that way, but it is a fact that non-pilot Wing Commanders are in the minority when in fact an overwhelming majority of CAP senior members are not pilots. 

This "rule" isn't quite as strong at the squadron level, but non-pilots in command of flying squadrons are pretty rare (though it happens -- heck, I was one).

You are correct!  It is because pilots are in the "club" (even if we don't want to acknowledge that "club").  They meet other pilots, those pilots are able to make it to distant staff meetings, and it cycles.  Very few Region and Wing Commanders are "non-rated". 

flyguy06

So, how many members are in the SDWG? Thats a wing I dont hear much about.

Al Sayre

Had the pleasure of meeting both the new AL & GA WG/CC this past weekend, they seemed quite nice and very competent.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DG

In your dreams.

I have been told that the USAF would not have a non-pilot in command of a USAF flying unit (pilots) up through and including Wing.

But, as I have been told many times by my good friends here...,

we are not the USAF.

Short Field

Quote from: DG on January 25, 2010, 07:19:19 PM
I have been told that the USAF would not have a non-pilot in command of a USAF unit up through and including Wing.

You have been told wrong.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Larry Mangum

Form my own USAF experience. most commanders of non flying units, i.e. maintainers and support staff are in fact mostly non-rated officers.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

flyguy06

Quote from: DG on January 25, 2010, 07:19:19 PM

In your dreams.

I have been told that the USAF would not have a non-pilot in command of a USAF unit up through and including Wing.

But, as I have been told many times by my good friends here...,

we are not the USAF.

You were told wrong. I used to think that myself. But think about Mission Support Group Commanders, Maintenece support , medical Supprt Groups. These wil more thanlikelyt be held by non pilots.

I read about a female Air Force One Star who was thehead of al the Security Forces inthe USAF. She was not a pilot. She was a SF officer.

I used to think that you had to be rated in order to move up inthe USAF so when I realized I couldnt fly, I joined the Army. Now adays I am seeing all these O-5's and O-6's that ar enot rated and I kick myself. At Lackland AFB where Air Force basic is held most of the training WIng Commanders are not rated. Now when you talk about General Officers. yeah, most of them will be rated officers.  I have only seen one four star USAF General that wasnt rate. Forgot his name but he was an Intel officer and became the NSA for th POTUS I believe.

Short Field

My old boss - Gen Mike Hayden.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

flyguy06

DG

My miscommunication.

I meant to say that I have been told...,

"The USAF would not have a non-pilot in command of a USAF flying unit (pilots) up through and including Wing."

Nolan Teel

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 24, 2010, 05:26:49 AM

Lt. Col. Lisa Robinson Appointed Wing Commander-Elect for Alabama Wing   

Lt. Col. Lisa Robinson, of Birmingham, Alabama, has been selected as the Wing Commander-elect for the Alabama Wing of the Civil Air Patrol.  The Change of Command Ceremony will be held at the Wing Conference in Birmingham, February 6-7, 2010.  Col. Michael Oakman, current wing commander also of Birmingham, will relinquish command to her in a formal ceremony presided over by national and regional officers with Alabama CAP volunteers in attendance.  Robinson will be the first woman to command the Alabama Wing.

Lt. Col. Robinson has completed the five levels of senior member training, concluding with the Gill Robb Wilson Award in December, 2007.  This award recognizes those senior members who have dedicated themselves to leadership and personal development in Civil Air Patrol.  It was first awarded in 1964 and honors the late Gill Robb Wilson, the founder of Civil Air Patrol (CAP) and its first executive officer.

Each level required Robinson to become more involved in CAP activties, master skills in one of 23 technical areas and develop leadership ability.  She has a master rating in flight operations and cadet programs, as well as a senior rating in public affairs.  A private pilot, she is also a Satellite-Transmitted Digital Imagining System (SDIS) operator, a mission observer, and mission Information Officer in addition to other ES qualifications.
She has multiple Civil Air Patrol awards, including an Exceptional Service Award, Commander's Commendation with three bronze clasps, and the Yeager Award.  Other awards were given for her excellence in service to the Alabama Wing and Civil Air Patrol.

Lt. Col. Robinson is currently Chief of Staff and Acting Vice Commander for the Alabama Wing.  She has held commander, deputy commander for seniors at Alabama's 117th CAP Squadron in Birmingham. She completed National Staff College at Maxwell AFB, Ala, in 2007.

Robinson is employed by the Baptist Health System in Birmingham, Ala., as an application analyst, providing 24-hour support for the Radiology Management System, networked to seven facilities.  She earned an Associate Degree in Applied Science in Radiological Technology with honors from Jefferson State Jr. College, a Bachelor of Science in Allied Health and a Masters of Business Administration from the University of Alabama in Birmingham.

Ive worked with Lisa before as a cadet at the ALWG Encampment!  She will do a great job in ALWG!  Congrats!

SarDragon

Quote from: DG on January 25, 2010, 10:52:11 PM
My miscommunication.

I meant to say that I have been told...,

"The USAF would not have a non-pilot in command of a USAF flying unit (pilots) up through and including Wing."

The canoe club alternates commanding officers of flying units between pilots and GIBs, so the GIBs can have command opportunities. When the CO is a pilot, the XO is a GIB, who moves up to CO, and then the new XO is a pilot. Rinse, repeat.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyguy06

SARDragon, why are you using acronyms you know we dont know what they mean? GIBS?  Canoe CLub? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Cecil DP

GIB (Guy in Back)= Weapons System Oficer or Radar Intercept Officer aka RIO

Canoe Club= United States Navy
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 26, 2010, 09:41:04 AM
SARDragon, why are you using acronyms you know we dont know what they mean? GIBS?  Canoe CLub? I have no idea what you are talking about.

When I am given an opportunity to learn something new, I take it. Google is a great friend of mine.

OTOH (on the other hand), it seems you waste those opportunities, and only complain about your lack of knowledge.

Getting back to the topic, I have had the opportunity to meet three female wing commanders - Col. Nanette Spears, NJWG, my first wing commander, nicknamed "The Dragon Lady"; Col. Louisa Morse, formerly of DEWG; and Col. Virginia Nelson, former CAWG commander. All very nice ladies, and all competent as commanders.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

And I think it's great. I've thought that our current national commander has done much to heal this organization in light of what went on before her and steer the CAP toward a more dynamic path that will insure a viable future for all of us.

Isn't it time for us to look for the positives of such a change, especially when these people  are so dynamic and have demonstrated records.

By the way, being rated doesn't mean you can't be a commander in the Air Force. That changed back in the late 1970s.

BillB

DG
But how many CAP unit's are "flying" units. The majority are Cadet or Composite Squadrons.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DG

Quote from: BillB on January 26, 2010, 12:33:44 PM
DG
But how many CAP unit's are "flying" units. The majority are Cadet or Composite Squadrons.

That's right.

Another way we are very different from the USAF.

flyguy06

Quote from: SarDragon on January 26, 2010, 10:26:23 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on January 26, 2010, 09:41:04 AM

When I am given an opportunity to learn something new, I take it. Google is a great friend of mine.

OTOH (on the other hand), it seems you waste those opportunities, and only complain about your lack of knowledge.

Getting back to the topic, I have had the opportunity to meet three female wing commanders - Col. Nanette Spears, NJWG, my first wing commander, nicknamed "The Dragon Lady"; Col. Louisa Morse, formerly of DEWG; and Col. Virginia Nelson, former CAWG commander. All very nice ladies, and all competent as commanders.

I dont mean to belabor this point. So i will say this then drop it. yes I understand what google is but  I am on THIS site for only a minute.

RiverAux

Quote from: DG on January 26, 2010, 12:46:39 PM
DG

That's right.

Another way we are very different from the USAF.
I'd almost be willing to wager that at the squadron level there are more non-flying AF squadrons than flying AF squadrons.  Last time I looked at a AF Wing web site there seemed to be 2-3 nonflying squadrons for every flying squadron.

flyguy06

The percentage of rated Airmen is a lot smaller then the percentage of non rated officers inthe USAF yet rated officers have most of the senior level command positions.

MAJORZ04

A Col Joyce Brookshire was the Wing CC of North Carolina... way back .  She worked her way up from SM. :clap:  She was very active on the ES side and earned Senior Observer Wings.
Then  she became the Region Deputy Commander.  She is still a member
and has a great interest in CAP affairs.
A commander is a commander, no matter the gender. :clap:

Spike

So Composite Squadrons can not be "flying units"??

I am the Commander of a Composite Squadron, which happens to have an aircraft assigned.  We fly all the time.  We fly just to fly sometimes, and I get flown everywhere.  It is good to be the Commander of a "flying unit".  I also do not fly for CAP, though am qualified should I wish.  So, a "non-rated" Commander of a "flying unit"!

Spike

Quote from: flyguy06 on January 26, 2010, 08:53:29 PM
The percentage of rated Airmen is a lot smaller then the percentage of non rated officers inthe USAF yet rated officers have most of the senior level command positions.

It is about who you know and where you fly in the USAF.  Remember when Officers records are being picked through for promotion time, those fliers get points for just flying on missions.  That is why there are two categories; rated and non rated, so that the two distinct Air Force Officer types do not have to compete unfairly against each other.  Remember it is the AIR force.  It helps if you are rated in your progression through rated positions. 

flyguy06

Quote from: Spike on January 26, 2010, 11:23:43 PM
Quote from: flyguy06 on January 26, 2010, 08:53:29 PM

It is about who you know and where you fly in the USAF.  Remember when Officers records are being picked through for promotion time, those fliers get points for just flying on missions.  That is why there are two categories; rated and non rated, so that the two distinct Air Force Officer types do not have to compete unfairly against each other.  Remember it is the AIR force.  It helps if you are rated in your progression through rated positions.

Well, they are seperate because the USAF isnt going to put a non rated Lt Col as Squadron Commander of the 94th Fighter Squadron.

That same logic you said  is why I always say this is the Civil AIR Patrol.

Hey, how did a thread about the new Wing Commander of ALWG turn into a discussion of rated vs non rated officers?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret