Main Menu

NEC Summary

Started by Eclipse, November 08, 2009, 06:50:42 PM

Eclipse

Can someone post a succinct summary of the NEC meeting and decisions?  Its obvious they went off-agenda
for some things, and I've personally lost track.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Don't feel so bad.  They probably lost track too. 

Pingree1492

Wish I was able to watch the whole thing yesterday, I was only able to catch the last hour or so because I was teaching at an ES Training day.  I was only able to catch bits of the last hour or so of the meeting.  Of that last hour, I could only watch with sufficient attention to catch the decision on two issues- the corporate uniform and National Cadet Competition Rules, though they did debate more topics than that.

Does anyone know when/where the NEC minutes are published? 

To be honest, I've never really been interested in this stuff before, but it was certainly enlightening to watch the committee in action this weekend.  I certainly have a new appreciation for what it is that they do.  Again, I didn't watch the whole thing, but what I did see, everyone was very respectful and professional when they were discussing topics.  Even though you could tell some were quite passionate about what they were proposing and debating, no one got hostile, and everyone's comments had a lot of thought and experience behind them.  While we may not agree with all of the decisions that came out of the committee, it was very obvious that each member was doing what he/she was best for the organization and it's members, based on their own personal experiences and opinions.  Overall, while it was a meeting, and thus slightly boring, it was very impressive to watch.  Many of us on CAPTalk and in our units would do well to follow the example of respectfull, professional debate that they set.
On CAP Hiatus- the U.S. Army is kindly letting me play with some of their really cool toys (helicopters) in far off, distant lands  :)

PHall

The NEC minutes are published in the e-services section of the National Web Site.
It usually takes a couple of months for them to show up, if they show up at all.

RiverAux

Did anyone see what happened with that social media agenda item?

NCRblues

Oh wow, I uh, I think we all forgot about it....:D :D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on November 10, 2009, 11:28:03 PM

Sent to committee.

JC004

Quote from: PHall on November 11, 2009, 02:19:20 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 10, 2009, 11:28:03 PM

Sent to committee.

Goooooood.  Committee is where things go to die, just like Wing HQ is where Senior Members go to die.

dwb

Quote from: JC004 on November 11, 2009, 02:37:23 AM...just like Wing HQ is where Senior Members go to die.

Dude, I'm on the Wing staff.  :-\

davidsinn

Quote from: dwb on November 11, 2009, 02:00:58 PM
Quote from: JC004 on November 11, 2009, 02:37:23 AM...just like Wing HQ is where Senior Members go to die.

Dude, I'm on the Wing staff.  :-\

Nice knowin ya. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

badger bob

And would that make region HQ staff  heaven and and national staff assignments .............
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

IceNine

purgatory and limbo respectively.  Nothing heavenly there.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Quote from: Eclipse on November 08, 2009, 06:50:42 PM
Can someone post a succinct summary of the NEC meeting and decisions?

So...the answer's just "no", then?   :D

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Are decisions made by the NEC binding, or do they need to be approved by the national board or board of governors before their decisions become "law" for all to follow?

I'm still a bit foggy on who reports to who when it comes to the NEC, NB, and BOG...

SarDragon

6. The National Board. The National Board is the governing body of CAP. The National Board consists of the:
a. National Commander
b. Senior Air Force Advisor (CAP-USAF/CC)
c. National Vice Commander
d. National Chief of Staff
e. National Legal Officer
f. National Finance Officer
g. National Controller
h. Region Commanders
i. Wing Commanders
7. The National Executive Committee. When the National Board is not in session, the NEC is vested with all the powers of the National Board except amending the Constitution and Bylaws and electing the National Commander and National Vice Commander. The NEC consists of all members of the National Board except the wing commanders.

Details here.

(a) Governing Body.— The Board of Governors of the Civil Air Patrol is the governing body of the Civil Air Patrol.       
(b) Composition.— The Board of Governors is composed of 11 members as follows:     
(1) Four members appointed by the Secretary of the Air Force, who may be active or retired officers of the Air Force (including reserve components of the Air Force), employees of the United States, or private citizens.       
(2) Four members of the Civil Air Patrol, selected in accordance with the constitution and bylaws of the Civil Air Patrol.       
(3) Three members appointed or selected as provided in subsection (c) from among personnel of any Federal Government agencies, public corporations, nonprofit associations, and other organizations that have an interest and expertise in civil aviation and the Civil Air Patrol mission.

The National Commander and National Vice Commander are members of the BoG.

(Details here.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Many hold that the decisions of these bodies are binding immediately and that field notification is an administrative process which has no bearing on the efficacy of the decisions.

Others argue that until the respective regulations are updated, and the field notified, a decision or directive is not enforcible.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

The only body in CAP which has the total authority to act is the Board of Governors.  The National Board only has the exclusive power to elect/remove the National Commander and Vice Commander.  It also has the exclusive  power to raise or lower national dues.  After that, things get a bit convoluted. 

Basicly, The NB decides on policies which become regulations or changes in regulations.  Uniform decisions are (were) held for the winter sessions. It is also the body which reccomends to the BoG any amendments to the C&BL of CAP.  The NEC usually makes final decisions on broader matters like budgets, aircraft distribution and such.  The BoG makes the broad decisions governing CAP, makes final decisons on the budget and has oversight of all matters on CAP including employee matters.  The MARB, IG and Executive director all report to the BoG. 

Even though the BoG usually does not get involved, it does have the final say on all matters regarding CAP.  The decisons of the NB/NEC are final and, are not subject to publication delays.  However, the decisions may be reversed or modified at a later meeting of any body.

Clear as mud.... ;D

Tubacap

It appears we have as many governing authorities as we do uniforms!  Unity of Command.. hm...
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 12, 2009, 08:23:11 AM
Many hold that the decisions of these bodies are binding immediately and that field notification is an administrative process which has no bearing on the efficacy of the decisions.

Others argue that until the respective regulations are updated, and the field notified, a decision or directive is not enforcible.

And both of those arguments are true.....

NB and NEC decisions (except those requiring BoG and USAF approval) are binding once they vote on them..........however it is also true that no one can be held responsible for said decisions or directives until they get the word out to the field.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Tubacap on November 12, 2009, 12:10:38 PM
It appears we have as many governing authorities as we do uniforms!  Unity of Command.. hm...

From a governance standpoint we are not a paramilitary organization, we are a corporation with a huge board of directors.

However, that board and its CEO don't have 100% authority in all things because of the dotted-line and/or  full-line authority on certain issues by the USAF.

"That Others May Zoom"