Happy Birthday to the Coasties

Started by Smokey, August 04, 2009, 08:14:48 PM

Smokey

U.S. Coast Guard established 4 Aug 1790.

So Happy Birthday to you Coastie Auxs
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

MIKE

The CGAux birthday is actually 23 June 1939.
Mike Johnston

Smokey

Yeah but the parent is today so I thought I'd say HB
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

Flying Pig

Tubacap

William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

SarDragon

Yup. Birthed in a tavern in Philly!
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PaulR

Happy Birthday to my fellow Coasties(and CG Auxilarists).  We will start a BD thread for the Devil Dogs out there on 10Nov, so try not to get too jealous!  (I am a former Marine as well so dont get all huffy! LOL).

All dressed up here last week for the Parade of Ships in Seattle...  This is how we celebrated CG Day this year.  We are currently two months into a really long patrol! :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ford73Diesel

Hello everyone.

I just graduated Coast Guard boot camp yesterday. I got to celebrate the Coast Guard birthday during the Coast Guard day at Cape May because we were the senior  recruit company. It was like an extra day of liberty.

Boot camp= good times......

Mark Harding
C/Capt, CAP
SN, USCG

ßτε

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 08, 2009, 09:44:22 PM
Hello everyone.

I just graduated Coast Guard boot camp yesterday. I got to celebrate the Coast Guard birthday during the Coast Guard day at Cape May because we were the senior  recruit company. It was like an extra day of liberty.

Mark Harding
C/Capt, CAP
SN, USCG

You do mean former C/Capt, right?
Since you are in the USCG, you are no longer eligible for cadet membership. See CAPR 39-2 Paragraph 2-5. You can join as a Senior Member, though, once you submit your CAPF 12 and a fingerprint card.

VPI18

Quote from: bte on August 08, 2009, 11:53:47 PMYou do mean former C/Capt, right?
Since you are in the USCG, you are no longer eligible for cadet membership. See CAPR 39-2 Paragraph 2-5. You can join as a Senior Member, though, once you submit your CAPF 12 and a fingerprint card.
I would assume that he still qualifies under italicized portion of said paragraph.

SarDragon

I would assume not.

Quote from: CAPR 35-33. Causes To Terminate Cadet Membership:
a. Automatic Loss of Membership:

(3) Joining the active duty Armed Forces. The term "active duty Armed Forces" does not include members in the National Guard or Reserves who are not on extended active duty.

Boot camp, unless followed by assignment to a reserve component, counts as active duty. Since there is no USCGR, he's in SM territory.

Quote from: CAPR 39-22-2. Requirements for Initial Membership. All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:

d. Not a member of the active duty Armed Forces. NOTE: National Guard and Reserve personnel are not considered active duty Armed Forces unless they are serving on extended active duty. For the purpose of this regulation, CAP does not consider Basic Military Training for Guard and Reserve personnel as extended active duty.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

sandman

Quote from: SarDragon on August 09, 2009, 06:49:40 AM
I would assume not.

Quote3. Causes To Terminate Cadet Membership:
a. Automatic Loss of Membership:

(3) Joining the active duty Armed Forces. The term
"active duty Armed Forces" does not include members in the
National Guard or Reserves who are not on extended active
duty.

Boot camp, unless followed by assignment to a reserve component, counts as active duty. Since there is no USCGR, he's in SM territory.

Dave,

I hope you did not say that the US Coast Guard Reserve doesn't exist!?
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

SarDragon

Yeah, I did. I also edited what I said while you were replying. There's really a USCGR? Learn something new every day. That still has little effect on the content of the post.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Ford73Diesel

I'm a reservist assigned to a Port Security unit, thus eligible to remain a cadet until I am 21 (which happens in October) or get deployed.

The reserve is really small with only 8,000 people. Most reservists are integrated with active duty units, execpt for PSU's, which are primarily reserve only.

I forgot to put the "R" in there. I forgot I wasn't in the real Coast Guard. 8) 8) 8)

ßτε

Thank you for serving our country in the USCGR.

I apologize for derailing the thread.

I want to wish the Coast Guard a belated happy birthday.

Cecil DP

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 09, 2009, 12:59:09 PM
I'm a reservist assigned to a Port Security unit, thus eligible to remain a cadet until I am 21 (which happens in October) or get deployed.

The reserve is really small with only 8,000 people. Most reservists are integrated with active duty units, execpt for PSU's, which are primarily reserve only.

I forgot to put the "R" in there. I forgot I wasn't in the real Coast Guard. 8) 8) 8)

The Reserves are  Real Military! Don't perpetuate the prejudice that all too often is attributed towards Reservists ( including the National Guard) of all the services. Reservists that you may knowof are Audie Murphy, Lindbergh, Doolittle, Teddy Roosevelt (Sr and Jr), R.E. Lee and U.S. Grant  both entered the Civil War as what is now the National Guard, MacArthur came to fame  leading a National Guard division in WWI (42 ID).The 82nd AA started out as a Reserve Division.  Everyone who fought in the Revolution was a National Guardsmen. Without the Reserves the regular forces wouldn't be able meet their obligations, as can be seen in the current obligations in Iraq, Afghanistan, and other theaters throughout the world.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

sandman

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 09, 2009, 12:59:09 PM

Hey friend, we are both in the real Coast Guard (Aux is real CG too)!
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Ford73Diesel

Quote from: Cecil DP on August 09, 2009, 07:36:38 PM

The Reserves are  Real Military! Don't perpetuate the prejudice that all too often is attributed towards Reservists ( including the National Guard) of all the services.

I know. I just like to make fun of the reserves in a joking manner.  (as mentioned earlier, I am a reservist and proud of it)

PaulR

Quote from: Ford73Diesel on August 08, 2009, 09:44:22 PM
Hello everyone.

Mark Harding
C/Capt, CAP
SN, USCG

Congratulations on graduation from CG Bootcamp.   When do you go to A' School? 

Ford73Diesel

Thank you Chief,

I report to MK "A" School on 14 September. I can't wait because a lot of my buddies from boot camp are going to be there.