Main Menu

VSAF update

Started by RiverAux, November 23, 2008, 08:10:45 PM

MIKE

It would have been cooler if it was an AFOUA awarded by the Air Guard itself instead of a CAP award.  Had it been the other Aux we'd be seeing at least a CGMTC or CGMUC.
Mike Johnston

RADIOMAN015

Maybe I blinked or was too dazed during the HQ CAP briefing at our Wing Conference -- BUT nothing was mentioned about this program at all.  Even on the Wing side nobody said anything yet in the wing there's 2 ANGB's 1 AF Reserve, & 1 Active AF base. :-[

This could be a win/win worthwhile program for CAP'ers to consider :clap:
RM

RADIOMAN015

Any more word on where this program is going ???

Other than 3 bases currently involved there's been no additional word on expansion.

I've noted the CAP website
http://www.capmembers.com/events/vsaf_program/index.cfm
appears to be geared towards National managing the entire program.

Aren't there units on each one of the bases that have the VSAF program  (Randolp, Luke, Wright Patterson), and are these units actively participating in this program?

I would have thought by now more expansion of the program would have been considered OR even more guidance for units supported by military bases (or even National Guard armories) to approach appropirate commanders.
RM   

RiverAux

They gave a report on it at one of the national meetings (last fall?).  IIRC they intended to move forward with it, but that there were some issues that came up during the pilot phase that needed to be worked out. 

JohnKachenmeister

At the installation level, AF bases work with the local units just fine.  If they need help, they'll ask.  If we see something we can do to help, we'll offer.

Making this a national-level program is an exercise in micromanagement that could be used as a negative example in a lot of MBA classes.

The BEST thing NHQ could have done was to educate the senior leadership and installation commanders that a resource is out there, let the local unit appoint a POC to work with the base personnel office, develop job descriptions, skill sets sought, and hours expected, and let the CAP POC recruit volunteers from the CAP members in the area.
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

QuoteAt the installation level, AF bases work with the local units just fine.  If they need help, they'll ask.  If we see something we can do to help, we'll offer.
As best I've ever been able to tell, this actually only happens at a very small number of AFBs so quite obviously the current system was not providing any significant amount of assistance to the AF. 

QuoteMaking this a national-level program is an exercise in micromanagement that could be used as a negative example in a lot of MBA classes.
As opposed to the total lack of a program that we have now?  Have you ever looked at the procedures that would be necessary to officially ask for CAP help in these areas?  It was never up to the local AFB commander or his subordinate unit commanders and the many layers of command that need to approve such actions now make it extremely unlikely that most commanders actually interested in using CAP would follow through.  Hopefully this is exactly the sort of thing that will be fixed as a result of the pilot program.

QuoteThe BEST thing NHQ could have done was to educate the senior leadership and installation commanders that a resource is out there, let the local unit appoint a POC to work with the base personnel office, develop job descriptions, skill sets sought, and hours expected, and let the CAP POC recruit volunteers from the CAP members in the ar
And how do you know that this isn't exactly what is eventually going to happen?

RiverAux

Although I'm pretty sure that this will result in my hearing the sound of crickets, has anyone heard any new news on the VSAF program in the last year?

The CyBorg is destroyed

Not a word...

I could see it happening more with ANG and AFRES units, like assisting with mobilisation.  Normally, SDF's do that but the only state I can think of that has an active, working State Air Guard is Texas, though New York and Indiana both had them in years past.

WRT uniforms (always has to be that little bugbear, doesn't there?) one option for office-type work would be to wear the blank grey slides if the wing king so desires.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: CyBorg on May 20, 2011, 05:46:15 AM
Not a word...

I could see it happening more with ANG and AFRES units, like assisting with mobilisation.  Normally, SDF's do that but the only state I can think of that has an active, working State Air Guard is Texas, though New York and Indiana both had them in years past.

WRT uniforms (always has to be that little bugbear, doesn't there?) one option for office-type work would be to wear the blank grey slides if the wing king so desires.
There's already a uniform designated, a different type of golf shirt and tan pants.  Personally, I don't see any reason why the current golf shirt with grey pants also wouldn't work ??? :-\

At our base we support a private non profit organization that support the base by assisting them with staffing (cadets & senior members, mostly not in uniform) at some of their events they hold for base personnel.  We've been on the base for about 50 years and I don't think the base has really asked the squadron for any specific direct assistance.

Personally, I think the program likely would be more successful in assisting at USO and Family Readiness Center's than anything in direct operational support.  Reserve, Guard, & Active Duty units have appropriately trained teams to process mobilization and/or deployments.   

Some bases have contractors performing some duties (and thus can't have volunteers helping the contractors)  and even civilian employees might be concerned through their unions if they lost overtime opportunities.  So the program really gets down to what the Air Force is comfortable with the "civilian" volunteer doing.  Perhaps locally their could be some meetings with base officials to see what the needs are, BUT these would be supplemental to and not replacement for current staffing.

RM   

Patterson

arajca

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on May 21, 2011, 02:16:45 AM
Quote from: Patterson on May 21, 2011, 01:07:47 AM
VSAF is dead.
Cite?
Oh like the complete lack of any news about it.  The complete lack of anyone who even know anyone who is actually doing it.

Sounds dead to me.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

RiverAux

Still hoping that someone may have some information on what is going on, if anything, with this program. 

NED -- Has this been dropped?

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: PHall on May 21, 2011, 04:30:09 AM
Quote from: arajca on May 21, 2011, 02:16:45 AM
Quote from: Patterson on May 21, 2011, 01:07:47 AM
VSAF is dead.
Cite?

How about you provide some "proof of life"?  Good luck!
This is still in one of the generic briefing slides about this program (that I am using in my upcoming presentation to a group), does ANYONE know if this program is still being studied :-\ ???  or is it DEAD!!!!

Would have been nice to see an update at one of the NEC/NB meetings.
RM 

FW

The program is, although not dead, not being "pursued".  Sort of like the OE program.... ::)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: FW on April 19, 2012, 04:45:26 PM
The program is, although not dead, not being "pursued".  Sort of like the OE program.... ::)

We understand, sir.

It's dead.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RADIOMAN015

Looks like the program is still on some life support

See the "AF Volunteer Now" article published today:
http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news/?fema_honors_ariz_wing_official_for_conducting_emergency_response_training&show=news&newsID=13016

Looks like that CAP member provides training & planning support to the Luke AFB fire department.  Also CAP benefits from this FEMA training capability.
RM

PHall

Now, is he really doing that under VSAF or is it just a one of a kind deal that happens at Luke?

I'm betting on the one of a kind deal...