Main Menu

VSAF update

Started by RiverAux, November 23, 2008, 08:10:45 PM

RiverAux

Although I don't really expect any sort of formal report on the test phase of the VSAF program to be released (or written for that matter), can anyone involved in it give an update on what they're seeing now that we're closing in on a year since the program started?  I know that we had at least one or two posters who had been taking part. 

Is the AF still supportive?  Is it bringing any new people into CAP interested in participating in the program? Are you still being asked to do useful tasks? 

JAFO78

For some of us who don't remember or don't know can you remind us what VSAF is?

Is it a Virtual Air Force?  Sorry as I am not in the know?
JAFO

Eclipse

http://www.cap.gov/visitors/events/vsaf/vsaf_program/

Essentially having CAP members serve in various administrative jobs to supplement active duty people on an unpaid, volunteer basis. 

Currently in very limited use (last NEC meeting indicated 3 bases are currently involved), and by no means a universally popular idea:

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4006.0

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=4024.0

"That Others May Zoom"

JAFO78

Thank you now I do remember. I guess that's why its called "old age"  :o

8)
JAFO

JK657

I was cruising through some of the old posts and saw this one. I was wondering how things were going? Did the uniform situation ever get settled?

It seems like this program had so much potential but there was a lot of debate on here about it

Gunner C

Quote from: JK657 on June 09, 2009, 04:01:20 AM
I was cruising through some of the old posts and saw this one. I was wondering how things were going? Did the uniform situation ever get settled?

It seems like this program had so much potential but there was a lot of debate on here about it

I was wondering the same thing the other night - I haven't heard anything since the National Board meeting a few months ago.

RiverAux

The last word was that some sort of analysis if the test program had been done and that they were looking at how to roll it out nationally (at least thats what I seem to recall from the National Board). 

Gunner C

Quote from: RiverAux on June 09, 2009, 10:00:41 PM
The last word was that some sort of analysis if the test program had been done and that they were looking at how to roll it out nationally (at least thats what I seem to recall from the National Board).
Yep, that's the last time I heard it mentioned.

JK657

Two things stood out to me during the great VSAF debates:

1. The uniform: Some were absolutely opposed to the new duds that the program required, some were okay with it, others wanted to wear rank, etc

2. The Jobs: Seemed like a lot of fear of a CAP Lt. Col handing out towels in the gym or a Lieutenant  being ordered around by an AD Airman. Others were just happy to be involved in the program regardless of the job or duties required.

I just wondered for those who actually participated in it, did they hand out towels while dressed in the khaki and button up shirt while under the close supervision of an A1C?

JohnKachenmeister

From what I have heard:

1.  The uniform is a problem.  At least one base had the CAP working mobilization issues, which involved occasional trips to field training locations.  National was considering designing a new BDU uniform for that.

Proposed solution:  Leave the uniform decision to the installation commander.  BDU's when appropriate, AF uniform with rank when appropriate, Home Depot Associate uniform when that is appropriate.

2.  Jobs have not been a problem, as far as I can tell.  The volunteers have not been assigned to menial tasks. 
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

If I recall we had one participant who was involved in base emergency management issues as a VSAF volunteer.  However, IIRC job duties were one of the issues that were being looked at. 

I think the problem with the VSAR "uniform" was that it was unnecessary since we already had an equivalent uniform in general ciruclation (the golf shirt). 

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: RiverAux on June 10, 2009, 08:44:35 PM
If I recall we had one participant who was involved in base emergency management issues as a VSAF volunteer.  However, IIRC job duties were one of the issues that were being looked at. 

I think the problem with the VSAR "uniform" was that it was unnecessary since we already had an equivalent uniform in general ciruclation (the golf shirt).

I would LOVE to get into that kind of support role...
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RADIOMAN015

I personally like the idea of VSAF, HOWEVER, my issue was with the policy that allowed members to join CAP ONLY to participate in this program and not participate in squadron activities.   I firmly believe that IF anyone who is a member helps on our base that provides support, the squadron commander & staff needs to first PERSONALLY INTERVIEW that member.  Generally, I'd like to see someone in the program for at least 6 months before we let them do anything with the AF, unless they are military retirees.

The wrong member at the wrong time can do a heck of a lot more harm to CAP in general in this program (as well as the the squadron on that military base).

Additionally I see no reason why we need another special uniform, any of the blue golf shirts with grey pants would be fine. 

I do hope they expand the program because I would be willing to give about 6 to 8 hrs a month to it, perhaps on a Saturday
RM   

JohnKachenmeister

First, I think that military retirees were the target of that particular recruitment drive.

Second, I think that WHATEVER the reason people join, that's OK.  As they participate and learn more, they usually participate more.

Were sort of like a strange religious cult.  First we hook them in, then we tell them to drink the kool-aid.
Another former CAP officer

BrandonKea

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 12, 2009, 02:21:47 AM
First, I think that military retirees were the target of that particular recruitment drive.

Second, I think that WHATEVER the reason people join, that's OK.  As they participate and learn more, they usually participate more.

I'd love to participate should it ever come to Offutt...
Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

Spike

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on June 12, 2009, 02:21:47 AM
.......First we hook them in, then we tell them to drink the kool-aid.

Usually donuts play a big factor as well.  That is how I got hooked on CAP.  CAP is like a drug.  I cant wait to do CAP.  I like to do CAP to "get away" from life sometimes.  I am so addicted to CAP........ 

Gunner C

. . . and the donuts.  ;D

RiverAux

I just came across an update on VSAF prepared for the Dec 2008 BoG meeting.  Its a little bit dated, but its the only written VSAF update I've seen:

VSAF now managed by SAF/MRR and AF/A3OHA under AF Continuum of Service
program.
-- Continuum of Service (CoS) is a DoD initiative seeking to provide opportunities for servicemen to remain engaged in military activities in multiple phases of their careers either as active duty, Guard, reserve or civilian volunteers.
- AF bases currently participating: Randolph AFB, San Antonio TX, Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton OH, and Luke AFB, Phoenix AZ.
- Those joining CAP to perform VSAF services become full-fledged CAP members, with full rights and privileges as other CAP members.
- CAP group commanders serve as project liaisons, coordinating with base personnel to identify and fill needs.
- CAP created an online scheduling application to manage volunteers. Also shows offices requesting assistance. Used by AF & CAP personnel.
- AF-assigned mission status requires individuals to be in an authorized uniform.
-- Participants wear khaki pants and a distinctive CAP shirt for VSAF duties.
- 11 enrolled to date: 3 at Randolph; 4 at Wright-Patterson; 4 at Luke.
-- 360 hours of participation logged to date.
-- Duties include computer-assisted drawing support, filing, videotaping.
-- New initiative will focus on local legal community in hope of obtaining assistance for base legal offices (wills, powers of attorney, etc.)
- Issues:
-- Common Access Card network access issues now resolved.
-- Some initial base access problems. All resolved.
-- Very low response to flyers distributed through base pharmacies (1-2 per 1,000 fliers). Amending flyer design and seeking other distribution opportunities.  Evaluating other media.
-- Standard duty is Mon - Fri, 8 - 5 -- many CAP members have paying jobs with the same work schedule

Some thoughts:
If they're seeing this primarily as a program for prior-military, I think they're missing the boat.  Though, we do know that existing CAP members have participated. 

I'm guessing the fliers they talked about were aimed at recently separated military using the base pharmacy.  Seems like a sort of harebrained way of trying to do recruit. 

If they are expecting volunteers to basically do this as a full-time volunteer job (40 hours a week), I'm actually surprised that ANYONE has participated.  That certainly knocks out anyone but fully-retired people and even then very few are going to sign up for 40 hours a week.  Perhaps they just phrased things wrong in the report and that they actually meant that volunteers have to volunteer at some time during a regular work week.  This will certainly keep a lot of people out and I would be surprised if there weren't things that couldn't be done on the weekends, especially if there are Guard units using those bases. 

They're going to focus on getting lawyers to help out?  Thats great.  This has worked well in several SDFs so is a decent idea. 

Keep in mind this update is over a year old and we did hear a verbal report at one of the national meetings this year that indicated that they were getting ready for a national roll-out.  Sure do seem to be taking their time with it. 

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RiverAux on November 23, 2008, 08:10:45 PM
Although I don't really expect any sort of formal report on the test phase of the VSAF program to be released (or written for that matter), can anyone involved in it give an update on what they're seeing now that we're closing in on a year since the program started?  I know that we had at least one or two posters who had been taking part. 

Is the AF still supportive?  Is it bringing any new people into CAP interested in participating in the program? Are you still being asked to do useful tasks?

Military retirees (nor most others interested in this) don't need to join & pay dues to C(ome) A(nd) P(ay) just to volunteer their services at any military base.  Another dream in the dreamland world of Civil Air Patrol.  Generally, there's a Retiree Affairs Office on bases that do a great job at coordinating any volunteer requirements that reitrees and their spouses can help with.
Additionally in the distant past, the American Red Cross also coordinated volunteers for any health care facility assistance.
Furthermore, the USO also needs volunteers for many of its' services such as meet & greet.

As far as CAP as a whole goes, the program probably could be expanded to at least units that are currently on military installations by the CAP commanders just asking the Military Installation Commander, is there anything we can help you with?  Based upon that answer and the CAP commanders' knowledge of  currently active available  members, perhaps assistance could be provided.   

I think the biggest challenge is that much of the volunteer
assistance requirements are typically weekdays in the 9 to 5 time frame, and many CAP members (including military retirees who are members) are working in a civilian paying job.
RM

RiverAux

Here is a story about a MD Wing a squadron getting a Unit Citation for support to the Air National Guard, yet our official VSAF program is apparently still floundering about:
http://www.capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/md_squadron_receives_unit_citation_award_for_service_to_air_national_guard?show=news&newsID=7357