Main Menu

Security Clearances

Started by Smokey, September 17, 2008, 11:01:13 PM

wingnut55

I agree, and it would give us more credibility in the EYES of the USAF

Truth is NHQ CAP is moving that way (I heard in the mens room at Maxwell) I believe we could pay for it but after  say 3 years it is reimbursed. or if the member is a well seasoned member. Either way CD does not exist in the Government matrix, that makes me nervous about the possibility of infiltration by a boggyman

lordmonar

So.....again.....CAP should spend money to get a small group of cleared individuals in each state.

so that is say 10 people in 52 wings times $300-$1000....that is $156,000-$520,000 for initial clearances.  with about 25% of that number each year after that to take care of atterition.

That ain't chump change.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

NC Hokie

Quote from: lordmonar on September 18, 2008, 05:42:33 PM
So.....again.....CAP should spend money to get a small group of cleared individuals in each state.

Considering the value of any clearance in the civilian job market, I'm sure that some members would jump at the chance to pay for their own if CAP was willing to be the sponsoring agency.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

wingnut55

Security Clearances are the requirement to do business with the US Government.

The US Coast Guard does it for the "Volunteer Coast Guard Auxiliary"

The problem is many people cannot pass, so there should be prescreening, and or if a member quits say in 5 years they must pay it back, prorated of course.

I know for a fact that in the past a number of people who had committed breach of policy or have stolen would not have been able to get a Job at K-Mart after they were investigated. What I am saying is we have some characters who could not pass the basic requirements for enlistment. I think that should be a minimum.

But hey!    National would loose money on membership, do the math National would loose over $200.000 if say maybe 3,000 members failed their National Agency Check/Credit check.

Remember if a red flag is raised during the check than the application is adjudicated, tha means they must dig deeper, make phone call etc. and that could make a basic check cost hundreds of dollars more,

MIKE

Quote from: wingnut55 on September 18, 2008, 08:48:47 PM
The US Coast Guard does it for the "Volunteer Coast Guard Auxiliary"

IIRC, that is not entirely true... It's just a determination of eligibility, and now fewer people have to go through the full cavity search DO screening than before.  I just have an OS... which is the short form.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

Quote from: wingnut55 on September 18, 2008, 08:48:47 PM
The problem is many people cannot pass, so there should be prescreening, and or if a member quits say in 5 years they must pay it back, prorated of course.

And how do you collect?

KyCAP

Just looking over this thread and I am not sure where the funds exchanging hands is coming into play.

Although there are GAO approximated costs the DSS absorbs all of the expenses.

https://www.dss.mil/GW/ShowBinary/DSS/index.html

I recently confirmed this with my DSS rep.  If you're wanted then DSS picks up the bill to check you out.

To my knowledge there is no personal liability or corporate liability once your "sponsored" by an approved agency.  Nor are there charges to the "sponsoring agency" either.  It's all covered by your and my tax dollars.

CAP's problem is that it is neither a Government Agency nor is it considered a subcontractor.   As most of this has been hashed out in other threads CAP is considered part of a 'co-operative' agreement which is funded by a grant.  Like a university.   

This is where the problem comes when trying to even get CAC cards for our members.
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

lordmonar

I do know that contractors do pay to have NACs AND SSBIs done.  While DoD agencies don't "pay" for their clearances....the bean counting and money movement all happens when you get a billet approved for a clearance.

Even in the USAF you have to pull teeth to get the SSOs to convert a Secret Billet to a TS billet.

brasda91

Per the KB:

See attached MEMORANDUM FOR NATIONAL BOARD SUBJECT: New CAP Database for Security Clearances 17 May 2006

1. We are working on several initiatives to position CAP to be able to perform classified Homeland Security missions. One of the initiatives is to develop a database for members who already have security clearances issued by a Federal agency.

2. We have modified the CAP membership database to allow members to input the specifics of their clearance. A new form has been developed which allows members to enter their clearance information into their membership record along with their other personal data.

Certain members do require security clearances. While CAP-USAF works with the Air Force on the security clearance package, we are adding an additional tab to the "My Member Info" section of eServices to capture any security clearances our members may already possess, allowing us to maintain a listing of individuals with security clearances, if mission requirements dictate that need. Very soon you will be able to update your record to show the agency, type of clearance, date investigation closed and, for non-DOD clearances, the date of re-investigation. All DoD clearances will be validated by CAP-USAF. Members needing assistance should contact Janie Jenkins at jjenkins@cap.gov or call toll-free at 877-227-9142, ext. 208

I think it is simply a way National can track the members who already have a clearance.  I don't think they're going to get members a clearance.

I have a DOE "Q" clearance.  I'm thinking, if a TS mission came up in my area and I was interested in working the mission, I could respond faster because I already have the clearance.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

wingnut55

Wade

Actually there are many CAP members who have Clearances because of the CAP, however with respect to your DOE/Q clearance it is not cross accepted for DOD Clearances nor is a DOD clearance the same as an FBI Clearance. However, lets say you need a Secret working with the DOD, First step is to fill out the required forms, Clearances are adjudicated individually by an official who will obtain the information from a database on you,  and create a file,  than he will wade through it. I was told that is why a clearance can cost $400 to $15,000 it depends on how much checking is needed, red flags could mean a Poly, maybe they will need to talk to your dog walker, etc.

If someone has a Secret Clearance, it does not mean they have Cart Blanche to have access to any and all Secret Files,equipment , etc.

I think we have a way to go on this with CAP, not too far though we have sensors all ready that could require a Secret Clearance to operate it, in certain circumstances.

DNall

You can just PM me what sensors you think we have that require a secret clearance to operate.

We're not going to require clearances for any equipment we may ever mount. It's for the mission on which you'd utilize that equipment. For instance, SDIS is no big deal, but use that to take pictures of the route of a presidential motorcade or potential landing sites for VIP helos (we do that a lot for our state), now you're talking about a clearance. Obviously you can imagine several HLS or DoD support circumstances.

There is no circumstance in which a secret clearance can cost 15k, not even 5k. Even $400 would be above avg & involve some extra checking. There is no circumstance under which any CAP member would ever need any clearance above secret, for any reason, ever. These would be only DoD clearances, not anything else.

Pumbaa

I remember 2 years ago going for my DoD TS clearance...  When it came time for the face to face, the interviewer told me I lived a boring life!  Lived in the same town for 20 years, same street for 20 years, same company for 15 years before going to then new Defense contractor.  Vacations Florida and Disney Cruises.  Don't smoke, don't Drink, Don't chew and don't go with girls that do!

I agree with the above poster...  No need for CAP to get anything above Secret in what ever we would be doing.  Worse case, you get secret then get read in for special access on a particular project... 15-30 minute process in most cases for a read in.

Understand just because you have a Secret or TS, does not mean you would have access anyway, there is also the "Need to Know", that is the added aspect.

i.e. Although I have TS, I would not have access to say data on a 'secret' CAP, shuttle landing mission, because I do not have 'need to know'.

wingnut55

OK! look some guys are missing the point here so let me repeat the Federal Governments definition again.

(a)  "Adjudication" means the evaluation of pertinent data in a background investigation, as well as any other available information that is relevant and reliable, to determine whether a covered individual is:

(i)    suitable for Government employment;

(ii)   eligible for logical and physical access;

(iii)  eligible for access to classified information;

(iv)   eligible to hold a sensitive position; or

(v)    fit to perform work for or on behalf of the Government as a contractor employee.

Do you understand that it is not that CAP is handling classified Information (It does on several levels). My main point is that when CAP started doing the NCIC checks a number of member were forced to leave. If you get a red Flag on your CD application you could be asked to leave CAP.

There are many members in CAP who probably could not be Cleared by the DOD for basic levels, it could be a nightmare for CAP to be forced to do this, to be honest with you to be a Janitor on most bases the contractor must have a background investigation, we have CAP doing Homeland Security missions, things for NORAD, 1st Air Force etc, We are a contractor to the USAF yet are not being held accountable to ensure that all CAP members on those missions meet the minimum DOD standards for contractors. Anyway I will close out from this link

DNall

CAP doesn't really deal with classified material, nor would clearances change that. It's the suitability for sensitive mission issue you mention.

No one is proposing everyone get a clearance, not remotely. If it'd cause a member to leave for something uncovered there, that would be a very good thing, but it's far too costly and time consuming to clear everyone. We're really only talking about a couple thousand people total for the whole organization - we're nto quantifying where the line would be exactly, but either all CD members, or all MP/MO with 2-3+ yrs in CAP; and, some limited staff, something along those lines. Call it 750k stand-up cost & 10-20k/yr upkeep.

Achieving that would open up a range of missions our equipment is well suited for but our personnel are currently not. So far the cost-benefit analysis is not worth it.