Main Menu

EX's Open Cockpit

Started by Smokey, January 08, 2008, 04:29:52 PM

Smokey

Well folks.....it's been a whole year, yes year, since the CAP Executive Director, Don Rowland, has published the EX's Open Cockpit. (See CAP Website under "news")

As the opening statement of it sez..."an online news and information tool designed to "get the word out" on CAP initiatives, events and policies. You can quickly scan the boldface topics and focus on an item you're interested in. Check back often because we'll be refreshing Open Cockpit regularly."

Notice it sez it will be refreshed "regularly".!!!   If I were that "regular" I'd be a real mess by now.

Seems to me the Executive Director has abdicated his responsiblity for keeping the members up to date.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

mikeylikey

^ The guy is paid way too much to focus on having his secretary take five minutes and update the site on a bi-monthly basis.  I say lets hire another Corporate guy just to update the site.  Speaking of updating the site, we need to shut down one website that still has the previous National Commander's pic and info. Since he was booted, shouldn't someone have taken all of 10 minutes and make sure he was tottally taken off EVERYTHING?

Anyway......I have a feeling the EX's site will never be updated.
What's up monkeys?

dwb

As Executive Directors of comparably sized non-profits go, he actually doesn't make that much.

I doubt the CAP/EX ever actually updated the web site himself (I have visions of an executive hand-typing HTML code... yikes!)  However, I don't think it's too much to ask to package together a few status items every now and then and have a lackey post it on the site.

Cecil DP

I actually sent an email about 3 months ago, asking why they had the Ex's Cockpit feature if it wasn't going to be updated. I receved a reply from the PA people saying they were aware of the problem and were questioning whether they would keep the site.

The impression you get of an organization that keeps it's members informed is dreadful!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

RiverAux

Don't worry...you have to look pretty hard to find it in the first place...

Tubacap

Question... Do we have one webmaster who monitors the national site, or is every section delegated down to the OPR?
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

Lancer

flyguy06

I just read it and I am very happy that we will be able to now fly AFJROTC cadets. There is a school system south of my city with AFJROTC and I very much want to give them O-rides. It would also help recruit for my squadron

Smokey

I guess someone at HQ reads CAPTALK and I shook the tree  :)
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Smokey on January 17, 2008, 05:31:53 PM
I guess someone at HQ reads CAPTALK and I shook the tree  :)

I hope so!
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

After reading the update I am pleased.  Much of what we all have been discussing here for the past (insert number) of months appear to be getting addressed at NHQ.

I am wondering though about this:

QuoteNew CAP Web Sites: A new and exciting Web presence is on the horizon for Civil Air Patrol. That presence will include the introduction of two new but similarly designed sites – one specifically for recruiting visitors, and the other primarily for members. These sites will eventually be tied together and the usability of both will be nothing short of dynamic and cutting edge. They are expected to be on line in early 2008. Stay tuned! (Contact: CS/Jim Tynan – jtynan@capnhq.gov)

Is this something Pylon brought up a while back and we coined the "my.cap.gov"

I hope so, having a "portal" for members other than the current E-services would be key.  We can get collaboration groups together in there, and have continually updated sections there.  Endless Possibilities.

Now the negative......flying JROTC.  I saw this coming, but I am wondering will CAP Cadets get bumped in favor of flying a JROTC Cadet?  What will CAP get in return (other than reimbursement)?  Can CAP Cadets start attending JROTC events?   

What's up monkeys?

Al Sayre

Flights for JROTC Cadets is a great idea.  The USAF wants us to put ~17 hrs/month on each aircraft, and most average around 10.  It puts time on the aircraft, doesn't cost us anything other than our time, gives us a chance to introduce a young person to the joys of flight, and provides us an opportunity to recruit Cadets for our squadrons 1 on 1, I don't see a down side here.  The funding for CAP Cadet O'flights and JROTC O'flights are completely different sources, so I can't see how one would affect the other.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RiverAux

The funding to flying JROTC is coming from JROTC budget according to the report, so it shouldn't affect our cadets.  I'm positive no CAP person would think of bumping one of our cadets in favor of them.