Main Menu

Walking/Jogging

Started by Devil Doc, April 14, 2013, 05:00:49 PM

JayT

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 15, 2013, 07:08:53 PM

I may do a Need Thornetesis if need be, and Sucking chest wounds etc.

It's a Needle Thoracostomy. Totally different procedure. And I don't know of many situations in CAP wear you would have a patient with a tension pneumothroax and a 14gauage/3.25 inch decompression cath.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

DMinick

Congrats on the times!! My daughters and I are working on that running thing! LOL My current time is just under 14 minute mile. I'm very slow but doing it! With them it's closer to 16 minute mile. I'm working on slimming down just to be able to wear those blues! :)
Debby Minick, 1st Lt, CAP
Civil Air Patrol
United States Air Force Auxiliary
Personnel Officer, Administration Officer, Finance Officer
Stillwater Composite Squadron OK-103

Flying Pig

Speaking of physical fitness.....

Where I live now, I am exactly 5 miles from work.  I now have a nice mountain bike, a Camel Back and little to no excuses.   So looks like Ill be riding 10 miles per day... 40 miles per week on my Trek G2!  I cant wait.  Let the games begin!

a2capt

Mountain bike.. where the biggest obstacle will be a curb. ;)
It's all good..

Flying Pig

And whats on the other side of that curb?  Yeah kid.... you guessed it.  The freakin JUNGLE!  Cobras, Alligators, Water Moccasins...... that mountain bike could be the only thing that stands between me and a future career as alligator poop!

Private Investigator

Quote from: DMinick on September 23, 2013, 06:57:29 PM
Congrats on the times!! My daughters and I are working on that running thing! LOL My current time is just under 14 minute mile. I'm very slow but doing it! With them it's closer to 16 minute mile. I'm working on slimming down just to be able to wear those blues! :)

Debby, congrats on your time. I break 16:00 on a good day but I am usually north of that. Keep up the good work, one step at a time.  ;)

stillamarine

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 23, 2013, 08:21:40 PM
And whats on the other side of that curb?  Yeah kid.... you guessed it.  The freakin JUNGLE!  Cobras, Alligators, Water Moccasins...... that mountain bike could be the only thing that stands between me and a future career as alligator poop!

I'll keep my take home ride.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Luis R. Ramos

And whats on the other side of that curb?  Yeah kid.... you guessed it.  The freakin JUNGLE!  Cobras, Alligators, Water Moccasins......

Or their human counterpart... equally dangerous!

::)

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

tribalelder

A few observations-

Flying Pig- from my experience, 5 miles x2 is a great conditioning ride. 5 is, at least for me, beyond the 'office clothes' limit. (I rode, seasonally, either 4x2 ( to train) or 13x2 (full commute to federal bldg)  back when I was young and indestructible.)

Now riding 5-9 miles or walking in pool an hour. With portion control (collateral damage from my bride's marvelous progress with WW), I'm down 20+ lbs from top of ht/wt table with MR BDU and shortening meds list as my ultimate objectives.

Congrats to all achieving improved times. Remember, as grownups, we need to surprise the cadets every once in a while.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

Flying Pig

Fortunately I have a gym and a shower where I work.  So I can keep my uniforms and everything at work and when I get there, shower get dressed.  Works well

Stonewall

I have been suffering knee pain for over a month now and it's killing me not to run.  Two different docs agree it's nothing serious, just some inflammation from over use.  Got some meds and was told to take a break from impact exercises like rucking and running.  I've found a new love for swimming and while I'm not the best at it, I'm a former competitive swimmer from my childhood.  In addition to my regular upper body workout and a few miles on the stationary bike at a low resistance setting, I've been swimming between 1,000 and 1,500 meters a day for a month now.

Feels [darn] good but took some getting used to.

I forced myself to run 1 1/2 miles a few days go and regret it.  The pain has increased but at least I know I can do it as I have a PT test in 2 weeks.  I'll push it out hard and collapse at the finish in pain before I allow myself to go in profile or drop below a 95% score.
Serving since 1987.

Private Investigator

Quote from: Stonewall on September 24, 2013, 10:14:20 PM
I have been suffering knee pain for over a month now and it's killing me not to run.  Two different docs agree it's nothing serious, just some inflammation from over use.

I had knee pain over the weekend. Saw the chiropractor today and I am back to 100%. Years ago I had a hernia and the doctor said I was ok. Did the Web MD thing and told him on my next visit, check me for hernia. I had surgery 72 hours later.

sarmed1

Doc; I missed you post entirely when you started it....sorry my bad.  In as short a version as possible.   Regardless of baseline medical qualification, the only way to obtain an inital qualification is attend the basic (or if offered, bridge course) during the summer school at HMRS or a bridge course if offered during the year.  So technically no, you can not (as of this time) do Ranger Medic sign off's based on equivilency or only going to local training weekends.   Once you obtain an initial qualification there are areas that can be completed for each level outside of HMRS/PA, there are some that ultimately need to occur at the mountain.

In your case as a FMF doc most of what is being taught (and most of what you can really do in CAP) you have more of a head start on (and honeslty better grasp of) than likey most of the "medics" on the board.  The how to take care of your people thru prevention is a hundredfold more important (and a lot more likely to occur) than the 1 in a million needs for IV's, drugs and intubation kind of scenario.  Re-affirming and re-enforcing common sense and makeing sure they know how and actually do treat the little things like clean socks, blister, foot powder, hydration... basically genreral health & sanitaion is more likey:

from CAPR 160-1
Quote1-7. General Duties of Health Service Personnel. CAP health service personnel are responsible for advising CAP commanders and unit personnel on the health, fitness, disease and injury prevention and environmental protection of CAP members relevant to CAP activities, with special emphasis on those members involved in flying, emergency services and disaster relief activities, field exercises, encampments and special activities.

One thing that is taught at the school is ranger first, medic second (I know very corp-ish....every Marine is a rifleman first) but its true (and you can substitute GTM for Ranger) that's why if you look at the medic skill sheets there is a pre-requiste GTM and Ranger grade requirement.  Also if you cross reference the medic sheets and the ranger sheets, you will notice that the physical agility portions are the same (less the run with med bag and firemans carry parts) to each cooresponding/required ranger grade and its assocaited medic rating.  ie work on your ranger grade/GTM quals first, then worry about being a medic
And as a piggy back to that, You dont have to be a "Ranger Medic"  to do the job on a GTM (or ranger team) espescialy based on your previous military skill set.... your team wants you to take the role of medic, thats fine, thats between you and your team leader, as pointed out there is no such positon as "medic".  The team leader wants to relegate some of his monitoring the health and welfare of the troops to you, thats ok.  He want to use you as the focal point for providing/directing emergency first aid to someone, thats good leadership in my opinion

If you are still interested in HMRS medic program and course:  NC has a very active Ranger Program, they make regular journeys to PA for different HMRS training activities (so the chance of summer school or the bridge program during the year is more likely).  I would reccomend if you havent already done so, meet up with them.  They do also have an active medical component (10 or so cadet medics over the past few years and a number of seniors, including a physican who is very active in mentoring and education)

let me know if you have any questions
mk

PS keep running.....
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

DocKibbey

Fellow "Doc",
I also have expressed interest in HMRS and the Master Medic quals; I have spoken with Senior members of HMRS and informed them of my background and my interest in how it would relate to their medic quals.  They informed me that the only way to get it signed off is to attend a MIKE course up there during the summer class and taking the Medic Track.  They also mentioned that I should be able to Fast Track due to my military and other background experiences and certifications; however, if my EMT was still active they could fast track me to Medic 1st Class.  They informed me that I could also apply for a Instructor  position and that they would inform me of necessary CAP quals needed to apply. 
If you need any other information please send me a PM and I will assist you in any way I can.

"Semper FI"
Doc Kibbey

Devil Doc

WOW, I haven't been on this Forum in months!!! SARMED I am actually Ranger Class 3 Now, and working on getting my EMT-B. Ive been MIA for a few months, life has been getting in the way. I have quit walking and running everyday because I have bought a house etc. Thank you for the information.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.