Main Menu

Walking/Jogging

Started by Devil Doc, April 14, 2013, 05:00:49 PM

Devil Doc

I started to Walk/Jog a week ago, I am down to 12 Minute Miles, YAY. If only I can get the pain in my Left Shin to stop, I can go further. I've been counting my calories also!! I'm training because I want to become a Master Medic in CAP.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Devil Doc

Also, I understand the CAP has a Field Medic Course, I was wondering will my Military Experience/Training Count to at least become a Basic Field Medic?
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

PHall

Who's teaching a Medic course? ???  It's not a "National" thing, that for sure.
And before you invest a lot of time and money, a read of the CAP 160 series regs would be a good idea.
Because those are the rules you would have to operate under.

Arkbird

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and guess that he is talking about Hawk Mountain "field medic".
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

Jaison009

Congrats on your progress :clap:. Hope this doesn't turn into another HMRS locked thread.

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2013, 05:00:49 PM
I started to Walk/Jog a week ago, I am down to 12 Minute Miles, YAY. If only I can get the pain in my Left Shin to stop, I can go further. I've been counting my calories also!! I'm training because I want to become a Master Medic in CAP.

Devil Doc

I don't have the means to go to Hawk Mountain. Can I become a Field Medic not doing this? I am wondering can they use my Military Training so I don't have to go through ALL of the Perquisites.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Woodsy

Did I miss something?  Since when does CAP have "medics?" 

PHall

Quote from: Woodsy on April 14, 2013, 06:57:38 PM
Did I miss something?  Since when does CAP have "medics?"

Reason for my hint that he review the CAPR 160 series regs...

Arkbird

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2013, 06:33:40 PM
I don't have the means to go to Hawk Mountain. Can I become a Field Medic not doing this? I am wondering can they use my Military Training so I don't have to go through ALL of the Perquisites.

To answer your question as best as I can and to the absolute best of my knowledge.  I know that NC has a large number of rangers and every year has a ranger training weekend.  That weekend will likely be your best bet. Some squadrons near yours have a high concentration of rangers and may have some training events too.  I do not believe your military training will transfer directly but I imagine it will make the signoffs easier.  Hope this helps some..
Multi-Purpose C/Capt
COS 2011
NCLS 2013

Jaison009

If you are referring to the medic speciality badge (Star of Life) it is for nationally registered emergency medical services providers. The basic level is for EMT-Basics (soon to be EMT). The senior level is for EMT-I 85 (soon to be Advanced EMT AEMT) or I-99 (soon to be EMT-Paramedic). The master level is for NREMT-Ps (soon to be known as Paramedics). As Arkbird said there are ranger programs there in NC and I don't know much about them except I ran into them and some PA rangers when I was in KY wing. I actually had R3 from back WIWAC but do not wear it.

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2013, 06:33:40 PM

Private Investigator

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2013, 05:00:49 PM
I started to Walk/Jog a week ago, I am down to 12 Minute Miles, YAY.

I am at 21 minute mile walking only yesterday. A man gots to know his limitations   ;)

Devil Doc

I'm not talking about the Paramedic Badge. I am talking the NCERMT about getting my EMT-B. There is ranger weekends here in NC, but that is for Ranger 3,2 and 1. I want to get the sign off for Field Medic 1st Class, Senior Medic or Master Medic. I got lots of work to do, but it is a goal.

Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2013, 09:52:31 PM
I'm not talking about the Paramedic Badge. I am talking the NCERMT about getting my EMT-B. There is ranger weekends here in NC, but that is for Ranger 3,2 and 1. I want to get the sign off for Field Medic 1st Class, Senior Medic or Master Medic. I got lots of work to do, but it is a goal.

There is no Field Medic Rating, or any other qualification of that type in CAP, nor any that is recognized for ES operations or qualifications.
If you are an EMT, Nurse, or MD, you may qualify for one of those badges, but those have no actual standing in operations.

NESA has been offering a First Responder course, but it, in and of itself, has no standing in ES operations, you still have to complete the
GT curriculum.  Likewise the various course and classes offered by the HAA at Hawk Mountain.

CAP has the GTM3-2-1 & GTL qualifications, and for that all you need is a basic "community level" first aid course form an outside certifying body.

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

I guess Wikipedia is wrong, LOL. Oh well, Ranger 3rd it is.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2013, 10:14:09 PM

Wiki What now?

"That Others May Zoom"

GroundHawg

First off, congrats on getting your time down! The longest journey begins with a single step!

You are referring to the Field Medic Program offered by HMRS. It is a great program, and I know of at least 3 RNs that got their start and fell in love with the medical field because of it. I earned my Field Medic tab eons ago (1994), and when I took my test for NREMT, I feel that a lot of what I taught at HMRS helped. I dont know if all of your HM training will transfer over, but Im sure some of it will. You can get your Ranger grades while your at it.  ;)

Most of the people who post on here are openly hostile towards Hawk Moutain Ranger School, so if you are interested in the program, keep that in mind. Good luck in your journey.

dwb

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2013, 05:00:49 PMI've been counting my calories also!!
That's pretty much the key to sustainable weight loss. Knowing how much you're taking in, be it with a food journal, weight watchers, etc. Keep it up!

When you're ready, I highly recommend Couch to 5K. It's a regimen, it's easy to understand, you can repeat weeks if you're not ready for the next step, etc. Good stuff. I used C25K when I started running back in 2010.

Devil Doc

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 14, 2013, 10:59:10 PM

First off, congrats on getting your time down! The longest journey begins with a single step!

You are referring to the Field Medic Program offered by HMRS. It is a great program, and I know of at least 3 RNs that got their start and fell in love with the medical field because of it. I earned my Field Medic tab eons ago (1994), and when I took my test for NREMT, I feel that a lot of what I taught at HMRS helped. I dont know if all of your HM training will transfer over, but Im sure some of it will. You can get your Ranger grades while your at it.  ;)

Most of the people who post on here are openly hostile towards Hawk Moutain Ranger School, so if you are interested in the program, keep that in mind. Good luck in your journey.

Thank you. I don't see why people are Hostile Against Hawk Mountain. But I Digress. Our unit wants to start a ranger team, so I am trying to get back into shape. My injures prevent me from doing a lot of stuff.
Former HM3, U.S NAVY

Eclipse

What is the expectation that your unit has for a Ranger Team?

Does it already have a proficient, active Ground Team?

"That Others May Zoom"

Devil Doc

Quote from: Eclipse on April 14, 2013, 11:36:50 PM
What is the expectation that your unit has for a Ranger Team?

Does it already have a proficient, active Ground Team?

Yes, we are known as the SAR Devils :)
Former HM3, U.S NAVY