Main Menu

Maxwel VOQ question

Started by Smokey, December 21, 2011, 03:01:26 AM

Smokey

I plan on going to Maxwell in July when my son (former CAP Cadet) will graduate from OTS (He got selected for a pilot slot too!!!).  While there I also plan on a visit to NHQ.

Question is.....Anyone know if CAP members can stay at the VOQ while visiting Maxwell???
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

abdsp51

Yes you can stay on base in lodging but it would be better for your son to make the Lodging arrangements for you as a family member instead of trying to go the CAP route. Bare in mind though that depending on what is occurring on base during that time space may be limited. 

Ed Bos

EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

PA Guy

CAP membership alone does not entitle you to utilize VOQ.  You need to have the folks you are going to visit at NHQ or your son make the arrangements.  You will need to have a MSA to utilize other facilities such as DFAC, O Club, Shopette, PX unless you are accompanied by your son.  I have been asked for my MSA on several occasions while on MAFB for various CAP functions.

SarDragon

If you are a retired officer, you have Space A privs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: PA Guy on December 21, 2011, 04:00:06 AM
CAP membership alone does not entitle you to utilize VOQ.  You need to have the folks you are going to visit at NHQ or your son make the arrangements.  You will need to have a MSA to utilize other facilities such as DFAC, O Club, Shopette, PX unless you are accompanied by your son.  I have been asked for my MSA on several occasions while on MAFB for various CAP functions.

One of the few bases that actually knows what a MSA is.

Smokey

Not a retired officer...just CAP
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

SarDragon

Quote from: Smokey on December 21, 2011, 05:29:49 AM
Not a retired officer...just CAP

Then have your son make the res.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

I've stayed in VOQ while on a CAP activity, but never otherwise.  Nice room, fridge full of pop and beer, about $10 a night if I remember over 15 years ago correctly.

Of course, that was when relations with the Air Force were different to what they are today.

I found this in the Knowledgebase:

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/458/~/cap-members-occupying-visiting-officer%27s-quarters-%28voq%29
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on December 22, 2011, 09:35:35 PM
I've stayed in VOQ while on a CAP activity, but never otherwise.  Nice room, fridge full of pop and beer, about $10 a night if I remember over 15 years ago correctly.

Of course, that was when relations with the Air Force were different to what they are today.

I found this in the Knowledgebase:

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/458/~/cap-members-occupying-visiting-officer%27s-quarters-%28voq%29

Trust me, the days of the $10 VOQ room are long gone. $40 seems to be the going rate these days. And don't forget to pay for the stuff you ate/drank from the frige.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: PHall on December 23, 2011, 01:34:01 AM
Trust me, the days of the $10 VOQ room are long gone. $40 seems to be the going rate these days. And don't forget to pay for the stuff you ate/drank from the frige.

Oh, of course.  Nothing's gotten on the cheap nowadays.

That's about ballpark for what you'll pay for a Motel 6 type room in some areas (cue Tom Bodett).

And I did pay for the refreshments from the fridge.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

noodles

There are plenty of places to stay off Exit 6 and 8 on I-85...your standard national hotel chains...that are also near some decent restaurants. Chances are if you call them you may be able to get a decent discounted rate (whatever tactics you wish to use).  On-base lodging is not what it is cracked up to be nowadays with a few exceptions.  Besides, your son will prob want to get away from Maxwell for a few hours/a meal/a nap/etc after spending several months there.  Good luck with his pilot training future--its a long and challenging road between IFS and UPT--with a rewarding end.