Main Menu

Corporate vs. Aux

Started by Smokey, November 24, 2011, 02:35:18 AM

Hardshell Clam

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 30, 2011, 01:16:20 AM
The investigating officer decided that they weren't going to pursue the investigation because most of the members were close enough to their membership expiration dates that they just "hoped" that none of them would renew.  None of the subjects of the complaint were ever informed of the status of the investigation, nor the result.

It was the same thing for the next four that I had to participate in.

First the disclaimer: I am in no way staing that is did not happen, however I accept no liability for the content of this email, or for the constequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided ;)  Hope this keeps the flamers happy.

Now that question: How did you become privy to this information?

jimmydeanno

At the time, most of those suspended were cadets.  When 8 of your most active members disappear out of the blue, you know something is up. 

I was also contacted by parents of the cadets suspended to determine what their options were (since the IG, nor the Wing Commander provided any information on how an IG investigation was supposed to go, nor the rules of the suspension enacted). It really is fun to get 6 scathing phone calls from parents because some random person just called them to tell them that their child is accused of some sort of sexual deviancy and can't go to CAP anymore.

It's even more fun to get phone calls from senior members with security clearances, jobs that deal with children, etc. worried that this false accusation might affect their real life jobs and how they're supposed to deal with it.

I was briefed on the reason the members were suspended.  60 days later, after all the parents of the cadets had heard nothing about the investigation, yet their child was still suspended, they came to me to find out their options and why their cadet wasn't reinstated per the regulations at the time. 

(3) Suspected Cadet Abuse or Unfavorable Information. Any member may be suspended for alleged or suspected cadet abuse, any time other information is received which, if substantiated, would make the member subject to termination, or while an internal investigation of such allegations is pending. The suspension is effective for up to 60 days and may be continued beyond that time in the event criminal actions are pending or further internal investigation is required. Additional 60 day suspensions will be approved by the next higher authority with justification why the extension is required. Suspensions pending an internal investigation may not exceed 180 days without approval of the National Executive Committee.

Since those members were not told of the internal investigation status, after 60 days they came back.  The Wing Commander told them they were still suspended, and the regulation battle ensued.  The wing commander then told us that "These members are close enough to their membership expiration that they'll hopefully just go away."  even though they did nothing wrong.

Three of those cadets have since graduated from the USAFA, the seniors have moved on with their lives, and the accuser who has apparently made an unsubstantiated claim of a sexual nature is, to my knowledge, still a member of CAP.  Of course, none of the parties ever received the result of the investigation, but it must be unsubstantiated because none of the seniors were arrested, none of the cadets were terminated.

I'm not sure if there was any correlation, but a few months later, we had a "Lt Col XXXX, former Wing Commander." 

The other investigations that I've been privy to (because they don't happen in a vacuum, there is always some indication that something is going on, whether it be providing witness statements, getting notification of suspension from members, etc) have also resulted in a half-assed investigation that is geared towards hoping the parties involved just don't renew - without any further mention of the status of the investigation.

Is it any wonder we have so many MARB actions?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: peter rabbit on November 30, 2011, 02:52:17 PM
IMO, ordering you to apologize to the subject for initiating the investigation is a violation of the current complaint process, as it disclosed the identity of the complainant to the subject.

The subject already knew.

We'd been at cross purposes for some time.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011