Main Menu

Ancient wing web pages

Started by RiverAux, July 02, 2011, 10:11:31 PM

RiverAux

Okay, while there are more than a few CAP Wing web sites that are hopelessly out of date, I'm not sure I've seen one as bad as Rhode Island Wing's: http://www.riwg.cap.gov/

Know what one of the top news stories is:  MG Pineda suspended as CAP National Commander. 

Their latest news story is now over 3.5 years old. 

C'mon guys, if you can't maintain your web site, just take the darn thing down and stop making the whole organization look bad.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is another Wing web site, more out of date, but that is a tough one to beat. 

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on July 02, 2011, 10:11:31 PM
Okay, while there are more than a few CAP Wing web sites that are hopelessly out of date, I'm not sure I've seen one as bad as Rhode Island Wing's: http://www.riwg.cap.gov/

Know what one of the top news stories is:  MG Pineda suspended as CAP National Commander. 

Their latest news story is now over 3.5 years old. 

C'mon guys, if you can't maintain your web site, just take the darn thing down and stop making the whole organization look bad.

Maybe I'm wrong and there is another Wing web site, more out of date, but that is a tough one to beat.

And of course you contacted the webmaster for that page to give them a chance to fix their page  before you decided to make fun of them here? Right?

RiverAux

Are you suggesting that the webmaster (if there even is one), doesn't know how old the news on their site is?  That they don't know that many of their links are broken? 

Sorry, if the webmaster needs someone else to tell them that, they need to be replaced.

RRLE

QuoteAnd of course you contacted the webmaster

The "Contact" button on the bottom of the home page causes a broken link message. I guess the lights are on but no one is home.

mjbernier

I clicked on a few of the links and eventually found their Yahoo Groups page. Unlike the website, this group does appear to have regular activity; I'll see if I can find someone there who might have a clue about their website.

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

Turk

There is a new RIWG website. In fact, it is a topic of discussion in one of the CAP blogs just today.

I've seen the old website, and yes, it appears to be petrified in place.

"To fly is everything."  Otto Lilienthal

mjbernier

Quote from: Turk on July 03, 2011, 01:21:39 AM
There is a new RIWG website. In fact, it is a topic of discussion in one of the CAP blogs just today.

I've seen the old website, and yes, it appears to be petrified in place.

I found the new site...finally... http://www.riwingcap.com

They really need to pull the plug on the old one -- it's at the top of any Google search on their wing. I've sent a note to the newer site's Webmaster.

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

RiverAux

Basic, but decent site.  Way to go RI Wing!

Short Field

Why use a .com url instead of a .cap.gov url?
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

elipod

Talking about websites, some squadrons have amazing websites!
check these two out.

www.oswegocap.org

www.cap207.com

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: elipod on July 03, 2011, 02:37:57 AM
check these two out.

www.oswegocap.org

www.cap207.com

cap102

We are unable to take down the old webpage. Due to many changes in RI over the past few years information about the website is missing and I am unsure how to take it down. The current page is a work in progress. As the new wing commander I have many issues on my plate. I know about the many issues with the old webpage and will continue to find a solution. As I have more time the new webpage will develop. The current version is something I was able to get online in one night. I would like to eventruly change it back to the .gov

V/r
BENJAMIN F. EMERICK, COL, CAP
Commander, Rhode Island Wing

Eclipse

Quote from: cap102 on July 03, 2011, 09:43:58 PM
We are unable to take down the old webpage.

Contact the .cap.gov administrator and have them turn over the domain to you, forward it to the new website, or turn it off.

Should be a quick thing.

Contact jhall@capnhq.gov

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: cap102 on July 03, 2011, 09:43:58 PM
We are unable to take down the old webpage. Due to many changes in RI over the past few years information about the website is missing and I am unsure how to take it down. The current page is a work in progress. As the new wing commander I have many issues on my plate. I know about the many issues with the old webpage and will continue to find a solution. As I have more time the new webpage will develop. The current version is something I was able to get online in one night. I would like to eventruly change it back to the .gov

V/r

Wow, a CAPT in 2008, and a full bird wing commander by 2011. Fast rise, congrats
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

cap102

Thanks for the info. I have been in CAP for ten years, and I am the youngest wing commander in CAP. I am only 24. The change of command was June 1st and I look forward to the challenges ahead.
BENJAMIN F. EMERICK, COL, CAP
Commander, Rhode Island Wing

JC004

Quote from: cap102 on July 03, 2011, 09:52:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I have been in CAP for ten years, and I am the youngest wing commander in CAP. I am only 24. The change of command was June 1st and I look forward to the challenges ahead.

I heard about this recently.  Now if we can duplicate this...

I suggest Bob's .gov administrator solution.  I think they should be able to change the DNS.  If not, let me know.  I'm sure that I can find a way to fix it.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: JC004 on July 04, 2011, 02:10:07 AM

I'm not sure Col Emerick's record will ever be duplicated or exceeded. Captain @ 21, Major @ 24 and then the combination of the Wing CC slot open and being selected in that year.

NC Hokie

Quote from: elipod on July 03, 2011, 02:37:57 AM
check these two out.

www.oswegocap.org

That "You have friends in the sky," tagline on the second slide of the Oswego County page is money! Someone should send it to NHQ.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Turk

So... who is the new RIWG vice commander?

Quote from: phirons on July 04, 2011, 09:11:54 PM
Quote from: JC004 on July 04, 2011, 02:10:07 AM

I'm not sure Col Emerick's record will ever be duplicated or exceeded. Captain @ 21, Major @ 24 and then the combination of the Wing CC slot open and being selected in that year.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

New RIWG CV is Ltc George Avila

Turk

I don't know the man, myself.

Another blog states it that he's related to the new CC...