Is anyone also USCG-AUX???

Started by Smoothice, March 03, 2011, 04:27:41 PM

Smoothice

Hey,

Just wondering...is anyone here both an active CAP member and involoved with the Coast Guard AUX? I was chatting with one of their members and he said I could be "paid" gas money for using my boat. He also said there were a "few of those guys" in the group also (meaning, there were some CAP members involved too)

Anyone? What do you think?

MIKE

I'm a former CAPer and current Auxie.  I can not speak specifically to how patrol orders work with regard to reimbursement... I'm not boat crew, but I have been on reimbursable orders for training recently which covers mileage, food, lodging etc.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

I am also CG Aux and I don't think a non-Aux member's boat could be used for a patrol.  In order to be used for a patrol it would have to first be inspected and have a whole bunch of equipment that most non-members aren't going to have and probably wouldn't want to spend money on.  There are also some limitations on what non-members could do on a patrol even if it was their boat. 

Smoothice

Ah, yes...well it would be my boat that I would even consider using, so that's no problem...

Does CAP ever work with USCG-AUX...like using our planes or anyting?

RiverAux

Oh, I understand. 

Yes, you do get reimbursed for fuel costs for using your boat if it is accepted as an Aux facility and for the patrols that you conduct while under orders.  Like with CAP, there are a lot of things that you need to do to get qualified to be a coxswain (the guy in charge of the boat), but if you're an experienced boater most should already be second nature. 

I know of a few instances where CAP and CG Aux have worked together, but it is fairly rare.  I have been told that the MOU between CAP and CG Aux that would allow aircrew members to be shared between the organizations has expired. 

The Coast Guard probably asks for CAP help way more than CAP requests CG assistance. 

AngelWings

In my squadron we have one senior member in the USCGA. He wears his ODU's and his CG Flightsuit for activites.

RiverAux

Yep, it looks like the MOU expired in 2006.  http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/U_B0B345F2674EB.pdf
So, if someone wanted to fly as a CG Auxie they would have to go through the same procedures as anyone else wanting to fly on a CAP bird (and visa versa).

GroundHawg

Been a USCGAux member for many years, it like anything is what you make of it. I will say they are very good about recognizing their volunteers.

Eclipse

Quote from: Littleguy on March 03, 2011, 10:48:31 PM
In my squadron we have one senior member in the USCGA. He wears his ODU's and his CG Flightsuit for activities.

CAP activities?

You're going to have someone tell him to knock it off, right?

He might as well wear a postal uniform...

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I used to be CGAUX.  For the most part a good bunch of people, though I unfortunately found a few who looked down the nose at you if you didn't own a boat.

They have a bewildering array of alphabet-soup designations for their offices (they don't have ranks, don't observe C&C's with each other - though they do with Armed Forces officers), and the oddest mixture of modified CG metal chickens, silverballs, butterballs, railway tracks, silverbars and butterbars, along with silver stripes (instead of CG gold).  Someone with four rings doesn't outrank someone with one ring...because they don't observe rank.

They are a lot more integrated with the CG than we are with the AF, and they seem to have a much more cordial relationship with the CG than we do with the AF.  They are able to augment on CG vessels and aircraft with proper training.  They are also eligible to receive some of the same ribbons as the active and reserve CG.

The basic unit is the flotilla, a bit like a CAP squadron.  Shop around, just as you would for a CAP unit.  Some flotillas are like boating clubs, and others are as operational as can be.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

The CyBorg is destroyed

In my squadron we have one senior member in the USCGA. He wears his ODU's and his CG Flightsuit for activites.

That shouldn't be happening, any more than a dual-status CAP/CGAUX member should be wearing CAP uniform for CGAUX duty.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Smoothice

I found a Flotilla locally. Turns out, the meetings are right at the marina that we just so happen to be members at!   We keep the boat right there. It's on a river that connects with the big pond...so, perfect!

Also turns out, the commander of that unit was at one time a CAP member!

AngelWings

Quote from: CyBorg on March 04, 2011, 06:52:35 AM

That shouldn't be happening, any more than a dual-status CAP/CGAUX member should be wearing CAP uniform for CGAUX duty.
He wears the ODU's/CGAux Flightsuit when he is at CAP. Since I'm under the impression you have to be 18 years or older to be in USCGA, I wouldn't be able to say anything more than an assumption because I can't attend. He is an extremely smart fellow (I admire his intelligence with aviation), so I'm certain he does what he should.

MIKE

17 is the minimum age to join.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

I could forsee some situations where it might be appropriate to wear CG Aux uniform to CAP (for example, if you were giving a presentation on CG Aux), but otherwise he should be in his CAP uniform.  Its not different than the active duty or National Guard guys that like to wear their "real" uniforms rather than their CAP uniforms to meetings.  Can't believe someone lets this go on.

AngelWings

Quote from: RiverAux on March 04, 2011, 09:34:34 PM
I could forsee some situations where it might be appropriate to wear CG Aux uniform to CAP (for example, if you were giving a presentation on CG Aux), but otherwise he should be in his CAP uniform.  Its not different than the active duty or National Guard guys that like to wear their "real" uniforms rather than their CAP uniforms to meetings.  Can't believe someone lets this go on.
99.99% of the time he is teaching AE and from my understanding is just coming back from his USCGAux meeting. He otherwise isn't at the meetings, so I think that he has a valid reason.

AngelWings

Quote from: MIKE on March 04, 2011, 09:24:37 PM
17 is the minimum age to join.
I wish it wasn't so. I love activities that can benifit the community.