Main Menu

Wannbe's (USDRC)

Started by JayT, March 12, 2010, 05:46:05 AM

Parsifal

Quote from: Bobble on March 12, 2010, 02:56:00 PM
You know, what I find really interesting (or perhaps sad) is that these USDRC guys all seem to well educated, accomplished in their chosen fields, and long-standing members of their communities......You might think that they would have better things to do than fish for salutes.  Go figure.

There are already plenty of volunteer organizations begging for such talent and experience, or simply another pair of hands to help carry the load.  To me, it seems frivolous & wasteful to create (or join) an organization that (1) probably is not operationally functional and/or (2) competes with other agencies for manpower and other resources.

Eclipse

We're walking the pot/kettle line pretty close with a discussion like this, but with that said, one of the
reasons I appreciate and continue to serve with CAP is the direct connection to both a real Congressional mandate / mission
and the military affiliation, including all the administrivial pain which comes with that affiliation.

My personal experience with these types of organizations are they are mostly people who can't be bothered to step up to even the
the extracurricular requirements that an organization like CAP requires.  I joined for the mission and the service the uniforms are
part of that, but not the main part.  These guys are usually upside down on that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Spike

Quote from: Eclipse on March 12, 2010, 04:08:57 PM
We're walking the pot/kettle line pretty close with a discussion like this, but with that said, one of the
reasons I appreciate and continue to serve with CAP is the direct connection to both a real Congressional mandate / mission
and the military affiliation, including all the administrivial pain which comes with that affiliation.

My personal experience with these types of organizations are they are mostly people who can be bothered to step up to even the
the extracurricular requirements that an organization like CAP requires.  I joined for the mission and the service the uniforms are
part of that, but not the main part.  These guys are usually upside down on that.

Well, we are a official Auxiliary of a Uniformed Service.  We also have the whole congressional charter thing in our corner like you said.  We actually have three missions to perform as ordered by the Federal Government. 

CAP is a heck of a way up the "real deal" food chain than this group.  How many of us can name Cadets that we helped get on the right path?  How many of us have actually augmented the Air Force through search and rescue and AF assigned missions?  Counter Drug anyone?

We play a larger role than any of us would like to say.  At least in my corner of the field.  I am a member of CAP to help kids recognize how to make good life decisions.  To let the local public know the advantages of Aerospace dominance in the world, and occasionally find a person who can not help themselves.  There is nothing that makes me happier than when a Cadet graduates High School, or a family writes to say thanks for finding Grandpa. 

However, lets not beat these other organizations up too much.  That only makes us look collectively uneducated and foolish.  Let the other organizations fail on their own, and we will still be here in the long run. 

Eclispse, this was not directed at you, I just wanted to reinforce some things you said.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: NIN on March 12, 2010, 12:17:34 PM
Betcha thats why the US Ranger Corps got started.  Too many generals here...

My first thought was of the US Ranger Corps.

Can't wearing some of this bling get them in hot water under the Stolen Valor Act?  They are not one of the seven U.S. Uniformed Services, their Guard/Reserve/Auxiliary components, or State Defense Forces.

If they'd affiliate with a local CERT and offer their services that way, that would be good.  But the LE/ES types who work with CERT would likely "encourage" them to lose the brass.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Short Field

Here are a few other wannabe sites - they tend to change their websites and names a bit as pressure builds up on them:

http://www.americanvolunteerreserve.org/
http://www.usavr.net/
http://www.airgrdsar.8k.com/
http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies253.htm

Some might say lay off of them, but I will slam them every chance I get.  I had another link I can't find now where one of these orgs "Lt Gen" presented a local community award to a young Marine since he was the highest ranking "officer" there.  It was only later that the facts came out.  The guy just showed up, talked the talk, and ended up getting seated at the head table.  There were several retired Army and USMC officers there who got suspicious later and checked the guy out. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

vmstan

We're walking the pot/kettle line pretty close with a discussion like this.

I think we of all people should do our best to call out people like this. We have a vested interest in making sure that the professional image and good name of the official military auxiliaries and volunteers isn't potentially slandered by those without any actual state or federal authority or backing to be wearing the uniform. If someone looks at people like this group, and realizes they are just a bunch of people running around in uniforms calling each other "General" ... it's harder for them to see us and think we're anything different.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

RiverAux

These sort of guys are a regular topic on state defense force discussion boards and the sad fact is that no level of government is actually willing to spend any time dealing with these folks.  I don't see the percentage in CAP worrying about them. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

It might be a bit of a giggle if, for whatever situation, I am in CAP uniform and encounter one of these self-styled "Generals" who may be expecting a salute and try to dress me down for not saluting...it would be even funnier if some of the Guard SNCO's I'm acquainted with would be in that situation... :P
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

tdepp

Has anyone ever been on a mission where you ran into these other groups or otherwise encountered them during a disaster?  I've never heard of these groups until reading about them here.

Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com

capchiro

We must tread lightly, because many of us in the inner circle are Admirals of the Navy of the great State of Nebraska.  I have seen many of us strutting around in Commodore uniforms, slash, sabre, and medals attempting to influence the opposite sex, or as we like to say "recruiting"..  Hehe..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

flyboy53

Yeah, I could see it now...who salutes who?

Майор Хаткевич

on the POWNetwork website:

QuoteFrom: "Rosemary Hackney" <ltcrose@tds.net>
To: <info@pownetwork.org>
Subject: USNDFSCOM
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 22:26:45 -0600

Just what is this? Most of this material is in error and USNDFSCOM did try a merger with USJMFC (DEC 2004)but found that that organization did not live up to their information and we went our separate ways ( May 2005). The info  printed here is that of the USJMFC.. including the addy at the Pentagon.We have no dealings with USJMFC whatsoever.

We are NOT a malitia. Never have been. We do NOT wear military sanctioned uniforms. We are involved with CERT and the FEMA emergency services training to be ready to help in emergency situations ( like Red cross or Civil Air Patrol). A lot of us are in the Civil Air Patrol). Actually a lot of us are also in the Civil Air Patrol.

We have given courses on ARE YOU READY ( FEMA 22 ). Helped in tornado disasters. Among other things from state to state.

We have taken many of the FEMA courses dealing with NIMS and CERT  and ICS. Upon completion of the required number of courses, Diplomas are given to signify achievement levels throughout the ICS/NIMS programs.  We are working on accreditation.

We are a charted 501C. We are incorporated. Our DC address is on Massachusetts Avenue.

I do not see that any of this has been updated and looks almost like a vendetta. Or at least public harrassment or humiliation.

Rosemary Hackney

Vice Chief of Operations

NOACC  USNDFSCOM

cc  CC USNDFSCOM

flyguy06

Quote from: JThemann on March 12, 2010, 05:46:05 AM

"So you're not part of the military or government, and you're wearing a military uniform, with military rank, in public?"

Law Enforcement Officers wear military uniforms and wear military rank as well.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 13, 2010, 02:59:03 AM

"So you're not part of the military or government, and you're wearing a military uniform, with military rank, in public?"

I think LEO's are covered under the "government" part.

JayT

You'd be hard pressed to find many departments that wear BDU's or Dress Blues as a daily duty uniform.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

I think that should read "military-style," just like CAP members wear AF-style uniforms. There are similarities; that is unavoidable. But they are typically easily identifiable as LEOs, and not military members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

They wear a limited subset of military rank generally on distinctive uniforms. The only time I've ever seen a LEO in BDUs was when they were doing something tactical (i.e. SWAT). YMMV

flyguy06

Quote from: JThemann on March 13, 2010, 03:04:22 AM

You'd be hard pressed to find many departments that wear BDU's or Dress Blues as a daily duty uniform.

Big departments that have full time SWAT teams wear BDU's everyday

JayT

Quote from: flyguy06 on March 13, 2010, 04:26:01 AM
Quote from: JThemann on March 13, 2010, 03:04:22 AM

Big departments that have full time SWAT teams wear BDU's everyday

Again, how many of them wear them day to day on patrol?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

tdepp

Eclipse:

I was thinking the same thing re pot/kettle and what some people think of us and our uniforms and ranks.  My wife is probably in that group.  She thinks that anyone calling me "Capt. Epp" is just plain goofy if I'm not in one of the military branches.  In part, the raging USAF v. CSU v. Fat and Fuzzies debate in another thread on this board points to some people being maybe a little too concerned about uniforms and ribbons and not enough about missions and service.  So we have our own agita regarding unis and ribbons that some might find peculiar, including some in our big brother/sister, the USAF. 

The big difference, as my buddy Eclipse (and one of the future judges of "Project CAP", our new "Project Runway" inspired TV show to design a new dress uni) aptly points out, is that we are a Congressionally chartered auxiliary to the USAF with direct ties to the USAF via our missions, funding and governance.  We also have a lengthy history of service to the AAC/AAF/USAF that provides street cred. 

I agree, these other groups strike me as posers, but we also need to be realistic about how others, including the military, view us as well.  I'd encourage these AVR folks or whoever they are to join CAP or the Red Cross or their local volunteer fire department if they want to do disaster services.  And if they want to do funeral honor guards, join the VFW or American Legion or DAV or one of the other veterans' groups that wear their own uniforms that echo their prior military service.  The VFW and AL memberships are aging and could use an infusion of Viet Nam, Cold War, and Iraq/Afghanistan vets.  (And so could we.) 

Uniforms mean something.  We of all people should understand that.
Todd D. Epp, LL.M., Capt, CAP
Sioux Falls Composite Squadron Deputy Commander for Seniors
SD Wing Public Affairs Officer
Wing website: http://sdcap.us    Squadron website: http://www.siouxfallscap.com
Author of "This Day in Civil Air Patrol History" @ http://caphistory.blogspot.com