"odd" Cadet Names

Started by GaryVC, February 25, 2018, 12:09:06 AM

GaryVC

Probably not the most accurate subject name but the best I can do. Two things. Some of our new cadets have an "I" after their names. Also some of the middle names of cadets who have more than one aren't capitalized. Anyone know why this is going on? While it really isn't relevant, I should note that these cadets do not have common names.

Fester

1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Pace

Oh man! This isn't new, but it is getting more frequent. Some of my favorites (some of which I knew personally):
La-a (Ladasha)
Lemonjello (Le Monj Ello)
Orangejello (Or Ang Ello)
Female (Fe Mal E)
S***head (She Theed)
Crystal Ball
Stoney Stone
Alexander Scott Smith

I'll stop now.
Lt Col, CAP

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: GaryVC on February 25, 2018, 12:09:06 AM
Probably not the most accurate subject name but the best I can do. Two things. Some of our new cadets have an "I" after their names. Also some of the middle names of cadets who have more than one aren't capitalized. Anyone know why this is going on? While it really isn't relevant, I should note that these cadets do not have common names.

If you've got somebody like "James Jones I, I'd guess that he would be the presumptive future grandfather  of James Jones III.

Other than that, I've got nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

ColonelJack

Quote from: Pace on February 25, 2018, 02:31:30 AM
Oh man! This isn't new, but it is getting more frequent. Some of my favorites (some of which I knew personally):
La-a (Ladasha)
Lemonjello (Le Monj Ello)
Orangejello (Or Ang Ello)
Female (Fe Mal E)
S***head (She Theed)
Crystal Ball
Stoney Stone
Alexander Scott Smith

I'll stop now.

Names such as those are why, when I was a teacher, all of my students were addressed by me as "Mr. So-and-so" or "Miss So-and-so."  Thank the Gods that I never got into "chosen pronoun" trouble.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

GaryVC

Quote from: Fester on February 25, 2018, 02:07:58 AM
Where are you seeing this?

Anywhere in eServices that the cadet name is listed.

NIN

Just looked at all mine. Nope.

They look normal.

There was some weirdness in one of the reports (IIRC, the Membership - All Contacts Report) and I opened a ticket. Unfortunately, in the midst of fixing the requested issue, emails suddenly were weirdly cased (so "jbagodonuts@yahoo.com" became "Jbagodonuts@Yahoo.Com," which I concede is mostly an aesthetic, not technical, thing).
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

stillamarine

This is the reason as a cop everyone is asked to spell their name. I don't care if they say Bob Jones. It could be Baub or who knows what else.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

PHall

A lot of it depends on what part of the country you're in. Some areas have way more people with "foreign" names then others.
i.e. Somalis in St Paul Minnesota or Hispanic names in the Southwest. We are a country of immigrants after all.

sarmed1

I cant stand parents that pick names that will honestly end up having their kids made fun of at some point in their life.

Off the top of my head I have had:

Michael Hunt, and yes he really did go by Mike.
Lancelot Knight

I have had a few of the of the ambiguous gender names, where in that 11-13 range, when everyone is in uniform it is sometimes hard to tell if you arent paying attention  Jessie, Jamie, Kelly, Taylor, Alex, Drew.

And a few of the exotic dance style.  aks colors or cars.  Mercedes, Lexus, Porche, Azure, Jade, Ebony

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

LATORRECA

Its that dumb tendency of current celebrity or public figures, calling heir kids after apples and sugar pie. The other day I heard my wife talking about a celebrity calling their new born some artifact name.. Its just the people don't realize their kids have to live with those names until they become an adult. Then they can change it.

I have Marines call "Marine or Major". When Sgt Major picked up Sergeant for the first time, I have to called him Sgt M not to confuse the command. Is just the culture. Soon enough will see Gatorade or some candy bar.

Carlos A