Main Menu

Yeager Award Study Tips

Started by wmackirdy, January 22, 2018, 04:54:56 AM

wmackirdy

I am new to CAP...and new to the AE Officer position. I would like to test for the Yeager Award sometime in the future. But, it looks formidable. One exam...100 questions. Really? How do you get your arms around something like that?

Do you just read the book...take the test (I know, it is open book)...and hope you remember everything?

Ideas?
Maj Wayne MacKirdy
Chaplain, Major, US Army (retired)
Comms Officer, ES Officer, MRO, CDI, etc etc

kwe1009

It is an open book test so just have the required books at the ready and you should do fine.

MacGruff

I would suggest reading it first. Before taking the test...   >:D

GaryVC

Open the .pdf up and you can search it for answers. Search google when that doesn't work. When I took it in mid-2016 I found a couple of answers that were wrong. The one I recall is that they mixed up the scales for tornadoes and hurricanes. I complained at the time and perhaps it has been fixed.

Cadetter

Quote from: GaryVC on January 22, 2018, 08:03:28 PM
Open the .pdf up and you can search it for answers. Search google when that doesn't work. When I took it in mid-2016 I found a couple of answers that were wrong. The one I recall is that they mixed up the scales for tornadoes and hurricanes. I complained at the time and perhaps it has been fixed.

Isn't searching anything other than the textbook and notes not allowed? Not that anyone can stop it, but at least on cadet tests, we promise that we aren't using anything other than the book and notes.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

MSG Mac

I took the AEPSM test when it first came out and passed it on the first try. Without the book.  Not a hard test
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Cadetter on January 22, 2018, 08:22:40 PM
Quote from: GaryVC on January 22, 2018, 08:03:28 PM

Isn't searching anything other than the textbook and notes not allowed? Not that anyone can stop it, but at least on cadet tests, we promise that we aren't using anything other than the book and notes.

Yes. It's called Integrity. And seniors should have it, too.

ColonelJack

It was a very easy test when I took it (as the AEPSM) in 1982.

Heck, mine's so old it doesn't even have Gen. Yeager's name on it.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Spam

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 23, 2018, 11:33:56 AM
It was a very easy test when I took it (as the AEPSM) in 1982.

Heck, mine's so old it doesn't even have Gen. Yeager's name on it.

Jack

I did mine only a few years later (agree with you).

In those days, Gen. Yeager was still flying (Northrop F-20 Tiger Shark business development)!

V/r
Spam

BraveRifles19D

The textbook is around 650 pages and costs about $50, so download it from the website for free and have it open as you take the test and refer to it when you are stuck on a question. It is very easy, basic stuff. If you have an interest in aerospace, you won't have a problem.

Rippeei46

True! I have also joined an Online LSAT Prep course where there are a lot of practice papers and study material. I make sure I do that everyday and try to retain what all I have read in order to clear my law exam in the very first attempt.

J2H

It took me maybe 3 hours to take if that
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Eclipse

Take it as a group with others in the squadron.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Any former cadet who earned the Mitchell Award should be able to take this test cold and pass it with an 80% plus score.

OldGuy

Quote from: PHall on May 03, 2018, 01:56:55 PM
Any former cadet who earned the Mitchell Award should be able to take this test cold and pass it with an 80% plus score.
I did - 4 decades after my Mitchell!

If you are an aviation buff, it is a easy test. (I did take it open book, needed to check about a dozen questions, mainly history!)

chuckmilam

Quote from: PHall on May 03, 2018, 01:56:55 PM

Can confirm.  Even years later, the material was quite familiar! 

etodd

Quote from: J2H on May 03, 2018, 07:18:41 AM

Can you stop, and start back the next day? Does it remember, and pick back up?
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

It should NOT take three hours to complete that test.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on May 04, 2018, 01:11:38 AM
Quote from: J2H on May 03, 2018, 07:18:41 AM

Can you stop, and start back the next day? Does it remember, and pick back up?

Negative.

If you close out, the test closes.

PHall

If you need more then an hour to complete this test then you didn't study enough.