ABU Supply Drying Up

Started by majdomke, July 11, 2019, 11:05:37 PM

majdomke

Has anyone else discovered their base has no or next to no ABUs in stock? Although the AF has given a 3-year phase in that hasn't stopped local commanders from implementing or authorizing wear of the new style. As a result, the aisle at the Travis AFB uniform store went from all ABUs, to 1/2 ABUs, and now just last month about a 12' section of male/female combined. Most were crazy/odd sizes like Extra Tall which we know will never help us. Others were just big sizes teens generally won't fit. I move to my backup Kel-Lac that now is discounting their ABUs with small sizes sold out. That leaves Vanguard that now has Tru-Spec but sold in generic sizes. My concern is that all other options are drying up and how long will Vanguard get these uniforms. Eventually, very soon I imagine, they will be the only customer for Tru-Spec which means less demand and higher prices. In just three short years, CAP has gone from BDUs that continues to be regularly available, to ABUs worn only by USAF who is now phasing them out. Since it's not likely in the 5-10 yrs we're going to be approved for the new uniform, we're about to run into trouble outfitting our cadets and ourselves.

Kayll'b

Yup, noticed that a year ago.
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

PHall

March ARB, LA AFB and Edwards AFB still have lots of ABU's.

majdomke

Send them up to us Phil. Last time we got anything from Edwards it was all female sizes and small.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shuman 14

As I've said before, time to get the OCP ball rolling.

Get ahead of this escalating problem BEFORE it becomes a real problem.

Dark Blue tapes and insignia will look just fine on OCP... as will black boots.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

RangerConlin

I've found lately that EBay is a good source for ABUs. Can find used ones for a decent price as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

N6RVT

Quote from: majdomke on July 12, 2019, 06:16:17 AMSend them up to us Phil. Last time we got anything from Edwards it was all female sizes and small.

When I picked up the supply we got from El Segundo it was:

1. Maternity uniforms
2. Tops we could use, but with no pants that matched.
3. Pants we could use but no tops.
4. Complete uniforms, but not in a size anyone in CAP was actually authorized to wear.

We had put out to the groups to provide us with a spreadsheet of just what sizes they needed.  I was able to outfit exactly one female cadet 1st LT with ABU's that fit.

I think 80% of that stuff is still crammed in storage.

Fester

Is the ABU supply at Vanguard drying up? Why not just buy from Vanguard?
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: shuman14 on July 12, 2019, 01:27:50 PM
As I've said before, time to get the OCP ball rolling.

Get ahead of this escalating problem BEFORE it becomes a real problem.

Dark Blue tapes and insignia will look just fine on OCP... as will black boots.  ;)

+1

I think OCP's would be our best bet, not because of "oh they look cool," or "let's follow the USAF because total force," rather, it'd be because it's cheap, readily available, presents a good picture to the public (if worn right, but that's what clear regs and reg enforcement is for), and because it would maintain, if not help our R&R rates.

The dark blue nametapes, Velcro fleece nametapes available through scamguard vanguard specifically, would look perfectly fine on OCP's. I am not a huge fan of the black boots with OCP's, although, they would look better than black boots and ABU's.

Quote from: RangerConlin on July 12, 2019, 05:36:53 PM
I've found lately that EBay is a good source for ABUs. Can find used ones for a decent price as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The only problem with that is that the uniforms, in the right sizes, are often few and far between. For you they may be easy to find, but for someone like my brother, who is fairly short and skinny, those uniforms will be extremely hard to find.

Quote from: Fester on July 13, 2019, 05:05:06 AM

The ABU's that scamguard vanguard provides are not true ABU's, and from what I have heard they are not very durable.
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

abdsp51

OCPs are not by any means cheap.  It would have cost me about 300 bucks to outfit myself with one set.

Ozzy

Quote from: abdsp51 on July 13, 2019, 12:56:38 PM
OCPs are not by any means cheap.  It would have cost me about 300 bucks to outfit myself with one set.

$300? I'm assuming that is adding in the boots and getting a bunch of patches sew onto them rather than velcro'd on. I bought two sets  (No boots) when the Army started allowing them and both cost me less then $250. And that included all new velcro patches.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

SAREXinNY

We should be wearing whatever the Air Force is wearing, for numerous reasons. Just add 2 (or so) years onto the phase out date of the older uniform and call it a day. Stop the guessing games. Stop the "we should switch to..." nonsense. Make it simple and automatic...when they change, we change.

etodd

Quote from: SAREXinNY on July 13, 2019, 06:22:29 PM
We should be wearing whatever the Air Force is wearing ...when they change, we change.

Hopefully the polo will not change anytime soon. Relatively cheap even with my name and Senior MP wings on them.  I have four that I alternate that still look brand new. Hoping to get several years out of them. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

MSG Mac

Problem is that the AF won't allow CAP to have OCPs until they have outfitted every AF member first.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

abdsp51

Quote from: Ozzy on July 13, 2019, 01:37:02 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on July 13, 2019, 12:56:38 PM

$300? I'm assuming that is adding in the boots and getting a bunch of patches sew onto them rather than velcro'd on. I bought two sets  (No boots) when the Army started allowing them and both cost me less then $250. And that included all new velcro patches.

300 including 1 top 1 bottom a hat boots etc

CAPed Crusader

Hanscom AFB has TONS of ABUs!

PHall

Quote from: Fester on July 13, 2019, 05:05:06 AM

Because they sell crap, that's why.

etodd

OK. I'm the guy who doesn't know jack about uniforms, so I'll ask the question that pops into mind. Has the AF at any time pondered the idea of just coming up with specific CAP outdoor uniform, so that we would not have to chase what they wear and have these issues? And maybe while they are at it, make it reflective orange, instead of the non-sensible camo?  Design it to be the uniform for the next 50 years, no matter what the enlisted AF members wear?

PHall

No they haven't. Why would they?

etodd

Quote from: PHall on July 14, 2019, 03:50:58 AM
No they haven't. Why would they?

Well for one .... so we wouldn't continually have these shortage issues every time the AF decides to change "theirs".  And could eliminate hundreds of threads about the problems of finding uniforms. LOL