Main Menu

Personnel Question

Started by West MI-CAP-Ret, December 12, 2012, 03:14:57 AM

West MI-CAP-Ret

8)

As a brand new personnel officer, I've been receiving fm eServices, notification emails whenever mbrs positions have been changed/updated, etc.

I have been printing the notifications and filing them.  However, is there a good reason to keep these?

Thanks, Dave
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

SarDragon

Quote from: DemonOps on December 12, 2012, 03:14:57 AM
8)

As a brand new personnel officer, I've been receiving fm eServices, notification emails whenever mbrs positions have been changed/updated, etc.

I have been printing the notifications and filing them.  However, is there a good reason to keep these?

Thanks, Dave

Being a bit of an olde pack rat, I used to print out the Member Services Report from eServices each month, and put it in their record. Trash the old one. This is less paper that printing individual notifications. The duty position history shows up in that report.

Some will tell you even this is unnecessary, but I won't argue. Do what you think you need to do to maintain an accurate record of a member's service.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

EMT-83

I print out eServices stuff on a regular basis, but to PDF instead of paper. It costs nothing, and there are times that info is overwritten when updated, and no longer readily available.

For example, when a Senior rating is earned, the Technician rating info is gone.

jimmydeanno

I print nothing.  It's kept in e-services and they do backups.  Their duty position history is also maintained.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

EMT-83

If you're counting on eServices for your record keeping, you're setting yourself up for failure.

I've seen all sorts of stuff disappear, from promotions to Ops Quals. Accurate records were needed to restore that information.

RogueLeader

Every so often, I'll go and print a PDF of the members Member Search and put it in their E-File.  Electronic records are fine.  Saying E-Services is my record keeping is a No-Go on a SUI.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on December 12, 2012, 03:03:23 PM
Every so often, I'll go and print a PDF of the members Member Search and put it in their E-File.  Electronic records are fine.  Saying E-Services is my record keeping is a No-Go on a SUI.

Cite, please.   10-2 disagrees.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Almost any "Has the xxx officer been appointed..." question in the SUI guide says that having it recorded in eServices is just fine.  And I say "almost any" because I haven't reviewed them all...all of the ones I've looked at permit eServices as the record-keeping mechanism.

Eclipse

Yep, the regs and SUI / CI guides were (relatively) recently updated to allow for that.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2012, 03:42:18 PM

Cite, please.   10-2 disagrees.

Tab D-4 (Personnel) Item 7 reads as follows:
QuoteAre records filed properly?
a.   Is there a formal file plan established?
b.   Does it include other unit sections?
c.   Are cut-off instructions followed?
d.   Are records screened for historical significance?
e.   Are frequent back-up of electronic files made and stored in another building?

Nowhere does it say E-Services is ok, as it can not hold all relevant records, such as participation letters, awards, etc.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

eServices has nothing to do with the unit's file plan, which can also be 100% electronic (in fact its encouraged).

Nothing in CAP requires paper anymore.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2012, 04:26:51 PM
eServices has nothing to do with the unit's file plan, which can also be 100% electronic (in fact its encouraged).

I agree, however, saying that E-Services is the only place records are kept; is wrong.  We have our unit records in Dropbox.  I still keep most of mine in hard copy as well as electronic.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

I never said eServices was the only place they were kept, you said you needed to backup eServices for the SUI.

Anything >in< eServices is the authoritative record and does not need to be backed up for any inspection, etc.  Backing it
up isn't necessarily a bad idea, but filling up a file, electronic or otherwise, with a bunch of screen shots because you're worried
eservices might crash and burn doesn't serve any purpose.

I keep records of signed forms and approvals if they are important, but, for example, knowing the date someone made a tech rating after they
already have a senior or master might be anecdotally interesting, but won't mean much. That's info that should also be on an electronic F45.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: vento on December 12, 2012, 04:34:29 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2012, 04:26:51 PM

Fingerprint card?  >:D

Technically they aren't members yet.  >:D

RogueLeader

Quote from: Eclipse on December 12, 2012, 04:51:37 PM
I never said eServices was the only place they were kept, you said you needed to backup eServices for the SUI.

No, this is what I said:
Saying E-Services is my record keeping is a No-Go on a SUI.

The Member Search reports are handy, as a way to document a persons credentials to an examiner, such as if there is no internet at the unit.

WYWG DP

GRW 3340