CAP Form 66

Started by Michael Mazanec, September 23, 2016, 01:31:37 AM

SarDragon

Quote from: GaryVC on September 23, 2016, 10:50:28 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 23, 2016, 10:35:03 PM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 23, 2016, 09:32:02 PM
Were the achievements assigned different ribbons before? For example, Wright Bros and Goddard are not sequential whatsoever.

I think so. Also, the achievements weren't linked to the grades. We ("enlisted" cadets) all took the same achievement at the same time, in a classroom environment The tests were paper, and scored at NHQ. When one book was finished, we moved on to the next one in the cycle. Ribbons were worn in the order earned, IIRC. Or not. That was 50 years ago.

I had forgotten that there wasn't an order for the achievements. I have my form 66 dated 1966 and it says any achievement to be promoted. However, each achievement was tied to a specific ribbon. It made things easier when all the cadets who weren't officers were working on the same achievement. The ribbons that have carried over are similar to the ones now but without the cartoon characters on them.

Really? They have simple line drawings/silhouettes of aircraft, Eddie's "Hat in the ring", or letters, but I don't think they depict cartoon characters by a long shot.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Aren't they called cartoon ribbons as a slang term?

SarDragon

Occasionally, and I've used the term myself in the past. I have grown to dislike it, since I don't really see any resemblance to a typical cartoon. Like I said, they are (at least the cadet ribbons) simple line drawings/silhouettes of aircraft, Eddie's "Hat in the ring", or letters.  Go each his own, I guess.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 24, 2016, 03:38:41 AM

That and the fact that they were designed by the Walt Disney Studios. Who designed a lot of insignia for the military.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2016, 12:16:05 AM

That and the fact that they were designed by the Walt Disney Studios. Who designed a lot of insignia for the military.

Where did you hear this? There's nothing in Preston Perenot's or Louisa Morse's publications that indicates this.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on September 25, 2016, 04:53:33 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 25, 2016, 12:16:05 AM

Where did you hear this? There's nothing in Preston Perenot's or Louisa Morse's publications that indicates this.

From some of our older members when I was a cadet in the 70's.

SarDragon

I pinged Frank Blazich, and he is not aware of any Disney involvement. He has a couple more sources to check, but at this point, we're talking myth here.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

According to Jim Shaw, they were designed by Charles Woods, Bookstore employee.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

THRAWN

Quote from: SarDragon on September 28, 2016, 07:03:20 PM
According to Jim Shaw, they were designed by Charles Woods, Bookstore employee.

Sent from my phone.

And with that, I found this....cool stuff.....any chance we make this a sticky topic? History of ribbons or something? It's come up a few times before....

CAP ribbons, medals share unique, colorful history
Col. Leonard A. Blascovich
CAP National Historian
CAP News May 1998
Though the designs, colors and manufacturers have changed over the course of history, one thing about Civil Air Patrol's distinctive ribbons and medals has remained constant - they continue to be worn proudly on the chests of CAP members.

All of CAP's ribbons, awards and decorations prior to 1964 were designed by the Heraldic Branch, Office of the Quartermaster General, Department of the Army (now located at Camron Station, Va.). The branch - better known as the Heraldry Institute - is responsible for designing all U.S. military ribbons and decorations.

CAP and the U.S. Army Air Force had used the institute's services since August 1943 exclusively to design its original ribbons, all without medals. The institute looked closely at an organizations history, programs and achievements - and all before they completed their research on a ribbon design.

Once the institute developed their designs and color choices they would conduct a review to see if there were any conflicts with other military organizations and foreign countries. After that, they submitted their designs, usually two or three, for review and selection by the CAP national commander and key members of the national headquarters staff. In 1950, the national executive board also became involved as an approving authority.

After a selection was made, the institute was responsible for the quality-control of the ribbon's manufacturing process.
This design service came to a screeching halted in 1964 when CAP revised its cadet and senior programs and submitted a request to the institute to design about 20 new ribbons. The institute said they did not have the time or the manpower to accomplish the job in the time requested.

National headquarters quickly enlisted the support of its art department, which was responsible for the illustration of CAP's textbooks. Charles Wood, the chief illustrator, was asked for suggestions. Before long, he was responsible for designing the new cadet and senior program ribbons.

Mr. Woods ribbon designs were soon approved by the NEB and Air Force. The ribbons were nonmilitary in design and very distinctive. And that is why our original ribbons - awarded prior to 1982 for the new cadet (Spaatz) and senior (Gill Robb Wilson) training programs - had pictures and letters for cadets, and swirls, "V," "S," loops and flying wedges for seniors. Former cadets fondly referred to these old awards as "Captain Crunch" ribbons, and many a senior called theirs the "Andy Warhol," "Cadillac Dog Food," "Flying Widgets," and, my favorite expression, "Cracker Jack Prizes."

When the Air Force approved the wearing of the black and white mess dress for CAP in July 1969, CAP then had a need for medal's. But they were medals that turned out to be round and had no stars, crosses or decorative shapes like the active-duty services.

The reason is based upon our role as defined by CAP's original 1948 Constitution and Bylaws. The shape of CAP medals are fixed by our charter and role - an organization that provides only humanitarian services, further compounded by the fact we must comply with the Air Force in regards to mess dress uniform regulations and requirements. (Remember, we have to have Air Force approval for CAP uniform devices.)

Many active duty service medals are earned for acts of heroism, superior service or valor in the face of action against an enemy or exceptional service situation - and they have unique shapes. The medals include the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Force Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Legion of Merit and Purple Heart. (Notice I left out the Medal of Honor. Since 1944, it has been considered more a pendant than a medal.)

Round medals are awarded in the military (and the CAP) for humanitarian actions, campaigns, good conduct or service. This is reflected in the Coast Guard Auxiliary as well. They are a humanitarian organization and have round medals on their mess dress uniform.

When medals for the CAP mess dress were first considered, it was difficult to use the current ribbons because they had distinctive picture designs and complex color patterns. It was deemed impractical to carry the ribbon design through and it would also made for a very unprofessional military appearance. So the ribbons were made for the medals with stripes and bands of color that reflected the original ribbon's color scheme. The majority of the medals reflect the design of the old ribbons. For example look at the old Rescue Find ribbon, and its miniature medal.

This clean uncluttered concept evolved into a plan submitted by Willard Kopf, then manager of the CAP Bookstore. He proposed a plan to phase in a new standard-sized ribbon similar to the ribbons now in use on the miniature medals. The designs would vary slightly from current ribbons, but the colors would remain the same. Starting in July 1982, as supplies dwindled on the old ribbons, the new designs started replacing them. The mandatory phase-in date for the new ribbons was Dec. 31, 1986.

In February 1991, the CAP Uniform committee recommended change in hexagon shape and color for the following medals: Distinguished (gold), Exceptional (silver), and Bronze meritorious service). The NEC later approved their recommendation.

One special note - the remaining unchanged insignia in CAP's inventory include: the cadet hat emblem - even though it transitioned from cloth to medal - has remained the same since 1942, and the senior service cap device which was approved in July 1953. All others have changed over the course of Air Force and CAP history.

Editor's note: For more information, Colonel Blascovich can be reached via e-mail at len_b@ix.netcom.com.

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

GaryVC

Since I have rejoined I have wondered why the encampment ribbon was changed. I can't see a problem with the old version.