Main Menu

THRAWN-Star Wars Rebels

Started by THRAWN, September 22, 2016, 01:38:07 PM

THRAWN

All I can say is that it's about doggone time.....

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/trailers/768785-grand-admiral-thrawn-rebels#/slide/1

I'm just hoping that they stay true to the character that has been around for 25 years. I want to watch it and truly say "But it was so, artistically done."

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Shuman 14

I hate new cannon.  :(

30 years of maintained continuality in the GFFA tossed out the window by Darth Disney and Jar Jar Abrams to make a buck on new toy sales.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

winterg

The new canon is amazing.  I have been reading Star Wars since the 80's and I have almost every novel ever produced.  It is a huge pile of massive continuity errors and a lot of very so-so story lines surrounding a handful of great series.  The new canon has made sure that ALL media produced now, movies, books, tv shows, comics, everything, all make up a clear story.  It is about time. 

I have read every one of the novels in the new canon as well as comics and short stories. And as a lifelong diehard fan, I can honestly say that it is a vast improvement.  Sure, some books are better than others.  You will always have that.  But Disney made the right choice in sweeping all the old jumbled mess away.  Can you imagine trying to make new movies and media and trying to wedge them into a crowded timeline already rife with continuity issues? It would be a hot mess. 

Forget the old ways.  Come over to the new Empire. We have cookies!

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

winterg

Quote from: shuman14 on September 22, 2016, 01:47:25 PM
I hate new cannon.  :(

30 years of maintained continuality in the GFFA tossed out the window by Darth Disney and Jar Jar Abrams to make a buck on new toy sales.
Sorry, I forgot to address your main point!

Disney spent 4 billion to acquire the Star Wars franchise.  That's billion, with a B. They didn't do it out of any sense of altruism. They did it to use the IP to make them money.  Of course any decision they make will revolve around it making them money.  Thankfully, they have been churning out some great stuff for me to waste my hard earned cheddar on.  The biggest being X-Wing Miniatures and Armada Miniatures.  Those games are soooo fun!

Transmitted via my R5 astromech.

TarRiverRat

I just wish they would make X-Wing Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron as canon again as well as the Han Solo trilogy.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

RogueLeader

Quote from: TarRiverRat on September 23, 2016, 11:29:48 PM
I just wish they would make X-Wing Rogue Squadron and Wraith Squadron as canon again as well as the Han Solo trilogy.

Totally. I agree

-Wedge Antilles
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

A.Member

CAP relevance?   You guys should connect offline and find another forum to discuss this.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

THRAWN

Quote from: A.Member on September 24, 2016, 12:35:12 AM
CAP relevance?   You guys should connect offline and find another forum to discuss this.

Plenty of relevance aside from the obvious nerd factor and space and timey wimey stuff....

Look at the leadership lessons learned from the conduct of the CHIMERA crew. How can those same lesaons be applied when motivating a crew of Mon Calamari? Different folks respond to different leadership styles. Was Thrawn a Machiavellian leader or just a brute from the Outer Rim?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Spam

- Preparation of lightly salted Mon Calimari and fried Gungan eggs as field expedient Ground Team rations?

- Need for fleet modernization (replacing Z-95 Headhunters with G1000 glass cockpit aircraft)?

- Health Services Officer topic: need for personal hygiene to keep your skin from blueing?

Where we goin' to keep this CAP relevant (grin)?

Cheers,
Spam

A.Member

Quote from: THRAWN on September 24, 2016, 12:48:10 AM

Plenty of relevance aside from the obvious nerd factor and space and timey wimey stuff....

Look at the leadership lessons learned from the conduct of the CHIMERA crew. How can those same lesaons be applied when motivating a crew of Mon Calamari? Different folks respond to different leadership styles. Was Thrawn a Machiavellian leader or just a brute from the Outer Rim?
Nice try.  Fail.  :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

TarRiverRat

We could make a uniform thread.  When can we start wearing the Alliance flight suits for CAP missions?  >:D
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

THRAWN

Quote from: A.Member on September 24, 2016, 12:59:12 AM

Not really any different from the shipload of Star Trek discussions. For a lot of people SW is their introduction to dictatorships and how they function.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

A.Member

Quote from: THRAWN on September 24, 2016, 12:58:53 PM
Quote from: A.Member on September 24, 2016, 12:59:12 AM

Not really any different from the shipload of Star Trek discussions. For a lot of people SW is their introduction to dictatorships and how they function.
Also irrelevant.  And 'a lot' is an overstatement...3 or 4 people here talking about it here does not constitute 'a lot'.  In my entire CAP career this is the only place I've ever seen someone talk Star Trek, et al, let alone try to tie it to CAP.

There is no relevance!  It is odd that Star Trek / Star Wars & other sillyness is acceptable but then RN posts something that may have some merit there is a dog pile!  Of course this is only one person's opinion...

THRAWN

Quote from: 754837 on September 26, 2016, 01:34:44 PM
There is no relevance!  It is odd that Star Trek / Star Wars & other sillyness is acceptable but then RN posts something that may have some merit there is a dog pile!  Of course this is only one person's opinion...

So you use no popular culture examples to keep cadets interested during leadership discussions? Have you used Starship Troopers in your discussions? Are you aware that companies like UPS, FEDEX, and DuPont use examples from sci-fi and pop culture during their management and leadership training? Are they wasting their time as well?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

abdsp51

Let's see genere's that can be used to cover the tenants of the CP compared to someone taking it upon themselves to post irrelevant health data that should be coming from a Dr and his/her staff. 

There is far far more relevence to a Star Trek/Star Wars thread/topic than what RN posts. 

Майор Хаткевич

Scifi, by definition pushes boundaries. In terms of discussion points, plenty can be referenced from it that is relevant and interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W0ff2Xns5g

CAPDCCMOM

In the Wing Man course, part of the syllabus is showing a clip from Batman, to show a point about Leadership and Integrity. Using Star Wars, Star Trek, or anything else that hits home is relevant.