At What Rank Can You Give Orders

Started by CAPed Crusader, January 03, 2019, 12:02:09 AM

Kayll'b

Back to this are we.

I will just say, (and I want to say this respeclfully) that you don't seem to get the idea of how leadership works.

You don't join cap to order other cadets, you join cap to make the organization, the people in the organization, and the nation better. Again, not to order people around.

And that doesn't just apply to CAP.

I want to say this again, I don't want to be disrespectfull, while still trying to build up my fellow cadets.
C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

etodd

Quote from: Kayll'b on January 21, 2019, 06:01:24 AM

You don't join cap to order other cadets, you join cap to make the organization, the people in the organization, and the nation better. Again, not to order people around.

^^^ This. Well stated, and should be emphasized very early in CAP life of both Cadets AND Seniors when they join.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: etodd on January 21, 2019, 06:39:00 PM

I'm not so sure that was the cadet's intent in his OP.

I think he was asking---in maybe not so clear words---whether he was allowed to issue orders during his unit meeting if the cadet command leadership was absent and he was placed in charge of that particular meeting, without the corresponding duty assignment.

No Cadet Commander, no First Sergeant, no Flight Commander, no Flight Sergeant...he's it. He wants to know how he can run the meeting if that's what senior members expect (and this is where your cadre should be supervising...rather than going "Hey, kid, run the meeting; you're senior cadet" and disappearing).

Eclipse

If that's the actual question then I would say "no", from both a structural and practical perspective,
any more then a random senior should start trying to "Al Haig" things just because he happens to be the only
one there.

Granted, there is an inference of authority with cadet grade vs. how it's handled in the senior ranks,
but regardless, a unit meeting isn't a foxhole.  In the given example, the Senior Members should exhibit the
control they always have, and just get things done.

Absent anyone from the leadership senior or cadet being there, then at best everyone should just work together
to get whatever needs to be done, done, vs. getting tied up in grade and authority.

In that rare case that the seniors can't exert their authority and run a meeting, are there even enough people there to bother with a meeting?

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on January 21, 2019, 08:16:26 PM
If that's the actual question then I would say "no", from both a structural and practical perspective,
any more then a random senior should start trying to "Al Haig" things just because he happens to be the only
one there.

Now that was a heck of a reference.  :clap:

QuoteGranted, there is an inference of authority with cadet grade vs. how it's handled in the senior ranks,
but regardless, a unit meeting isn't a foxhole.  In the given example, the Senior Members should exhibit the
control they always have, and just get things done.

Absent anyone from the leadership senior or cadet being there, then at best everyone should just work together
to get whatever needs to be done, done, vs. getting tied up in grade and authority.

In that rare case that the seniors can't exert their authority and run a meeting, are there even enough people there to bother with a meeting?

This is why you establish the practice of succession of command, and you communicate the person in charge when absences will occur.

If the entire cadet leadership doesn't show up, without notice, that's when the cadre should intervene and later address it with the cadet staff that they left nobody in charge nor did they communicate it (particularly with the command staff).

If the leadership did, in fact, announce it, they should have an alternative plan of action.

But I totally agree, to have a bunch of "junior enlisted" airmen as the only ones present, that's a concern in itself. But I take that narrative with a grain of salt, particularly when it's coming from a C/A1C who may not have insight on the behind-the-scenes construct of the meeting.

CAPed Crusader

^^^ This. Well stated, and should be emphasized very early in CAP life of both Cadets AND Seniors when they join.

That is spoken solid. I joined CAP to serve.

FW

Quote from: francisderosa16 on January 29, 2019, 09:45:44 PM

True, however I joined for the coffee and donuts... >:D

CAPed Crusader

Quote from: FW on January 29, 2019, 10:05:36 PM
Quote from: francisderosa16 on January 29, 2019, 09:45:44 PM

True, however I joined for the coffee and donuts... >:D

Coffee and Donuts!  ;D ;D ;D ;D Another good reason!

ßτε