Main Menu

Insects in the northeast

Started by Hummingbird, April 22, 2016, 05:52:28 PM

Hummingbird

This winter, some areas of the northeastern US were very lacking in snowfall, so it is likely that pests such as mosquitos, ticks, and other pests will be VERY BAD this year, from my predictions. Please keep this in mind when outdoors, and apply mosquito & tick spray to avoid any itchy bites and the chance of Lyme disease.

From the sheriff, who happens to be my neighbor, I learned that mixing 1 part water to two parts distilled white vinegar works to repel ticks, and from his and my own experience it seems to work very well, and is dirt cheap. It smells bad for a time, but you get used to it. You can also add peppermint or something else to make it smell better, in addition to adding another layer of scented tick protection.

For mosquitos, I don't really have any tips. I've never had the best of luck with the bug sprays, as I still get bit often, and I end up covered in the nasty stuff. Maybe we can add something to the tick repellent. Any ideas, guys?
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
Tactical Chef Boyardee guy
NER-NY-390

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

MacGruff

Yeah. That works. Although another event that we are being warned about is the Brood 5 of the Ciccadas are going to be appearing within the next month. Them's the critters that have a 17 year cycle...

KASSRCrashResearch

If you don't mind a dedicated skeptic chiming in, just remember that the reason a lot of old wives' tales fell out of use is because they didn't work.  For example, I've never seen any scientific evidence that vinegar actually repels ticks. Even with the essential oils that have been shown to have limited effects on reducing bites, they don't last very long (often less than 10 minutes after application) and thus become somewhat impractical in a field setting.

Regarding mosquitos: http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/skeeters.asp

Especially when it comes to critters that can kill or pretty badly mess your day up, it's best to stick to things that have some hard data that says they work.  If you want to back them up with something that MIGHT work, go for it but relying on some anecdote or supposition is a pretty questionable bet. 
I have complete faith in the continued absurdity of what ever is going on.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on April 22, 2016, 11:32:37 PM
If you don't mind a dedicated skeptic chiming in, just remember that the reason a lot of old wives' tales fell out of use is because they didn't work.  For example, I've never seen any scientific evidence that vinegar actually repels ticks. Even with the essential oils that have been shown to have limited effects on reducing bites, they don't last very long (often less than 10 minutes after application) and thus become somewhat impractical in a field setting.

Especially when it comes to critters that can kill or pretty badly mess your day up, it's best to stick to things that have some hard data that says they work.  If you want to back them up with something that MIGHT work, go for it but relying on some anecdote or supposition is a pretty questionable bet.

Thank you for posting this. In addition, here is the CDC guidance:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/the-pre-travel-consultation/protection-against-mosquitoes-ticks-other-arthropods

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on April 22, 2016, 11:46:17 PM

Thank you for posting this.

Not a problem.  I may not officially be CAP yet, but I still look out for my brothers and sisters.

Hummingbird

Quote from: KASSRCrashResearch on April 22, 2016, 11:32:37 PM

The sheriff has done it on multiple occasions with success, as have I. Works fine.
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
NER-NY-390

Eclipse

Sunday AM while waiting for breakfast, I had this visitor.

"That Others May Zoom"

Hummingbird

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2016, 03:39:50 PM

Good shot! These guys eat some of the pests we'll have to deal with
C/MSgtHummingbird CAP
NER-NY-390

KASSRCrashResearch

Quote from: Eclipse on May 03, 2016, 03:39:50 PM

That's pretty awesome.  I love dragonflies.  It's hard to believe that there used to be ones with a 2+ foot wingspan.  Five bucks says one of those things were probably about as loud as a Cessna 172 at full power. 

stitchmom

Permethrin for clothing and bags
DEET for skin