What year did I join CAP as a cadet? ID 650143

Started by futura, January 04, 2017, 07:48:50 PM

futura

Having a senior moment so to speak. It was either 1966 or 1967. Many thanks!

kcebnaes

Are you a current member? If so, you can check on eServices, in the Administration Tab click on "Member Search." Once there, typein either your name or CAPID, and then click your name. Once there, you can click on Member Search Report and that information will be there!

If you re not a current member, you'll have to ask National Headquarters.. I would try Ms Susie Parker.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

stillamarine

Quote from: kcebnaes on January 04, 2017, 08:09:18 PM
Are you a current member? If so, you can check on eServices, in the Administration Tab click on "Member Search." Once there, typein either your name or CAPID, and then click your name. Once there, you can click on Member Search Report and that information will be there!

If you re not a current member, you'll have to ask National Headquarters.. I would try Ms Susie Parker.

Not always. If you had a large break in service your cadet stuff may not be in there unless you have a major milestone. None of my cadet stuff from the 80s is in there but I had like a 15 year break.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

kcebnaes

That's actually kind of interesting! I had about a 6 year break from when I stopped being a cadet, and when I rejoined. The date I joined as a cadet is the date eServices lists as my join date.

I guess the big point is: your results may vary! Best of luck to you!
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

FW

From the ID# given, it looks like you joined in 1967.  I joined in November of that year and had an ID# of 651517

Eclipse

Did they restart CAPID's?

They are currently issuing numbers in the 59#### range, and most of the old timers I'm aware of have IDs in the 12#### range.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

They did.  I rejoined in 1982 and have a "110***" ID number; given after SS numbers were no longer permitted.  I think things have changed a few times over the years...

SarDragon

Well, I'm not going to search for my olde posts on this, so I'm gonna shoot from the hip a bit on this.

When I joined, cadets and SM had different types of CAPSNs The SMs had a 7- or 8-digit CAPSN, presumably sequential. Cadets had CAPSNs in this format - C-nn-nnnnn, issued by each wing. The C was for cadet, the next two numbers were the wing number according to the original numbering scheme from the '40s, and the remaining digits were the sequentially assigned number. Mine was C-22-10171.

Sometime in 1965, the cadet numbers were changed to a nationally assigned 6-digit number, and everybody got a new one. I have no knowledge of the specific scheme, but I do know that they were into the 623xxx area by July 1966, and all the way up to 6665xx by the end of 1968. Mine was 519522.

By 1971, SM CAPSNs were changed to their SSANs. I don't know when the same thing was done for cadets.

In 2001, we went to CAPIDs, starting with 100001. Apparently, they were initially assigned in SSAN order, until they got to about 148xxx, and had converted all existing members. There's a gap, and then they restart at 149000, when they started assigning them in join date order.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

When I joined as a Cadet in 73, my CAPSN was 75XXXX.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Toad1168

Quote from: kcebnaes on January 04, 2017, 09:04:44 PM
That's actually kind of interesting! I had about a 6 year break from when I stopped being a cadet, and when I rejoined. The date I joined as a cadet is the date eServices lists as my join date.

I guess the big point is: your results may vary! Best of luck to you!

Definitely varies.  I was converted to the new system when they went to CAPIDs.  13XXXX.  Took a nine year break and when I came back, eServices has my join date as 1994, when I transitioned to SM.
Toad

GaryVC

Quote from: Toad1168 on January 05, 2017, 02:55:19 PM
Definitely varies.  I was converted to the new system when they went to CAPIDs.  13XXXX.  Took a nine year break and when I came back, eServices has my join date as 1994, when I transitioned to SM.

I joined as a cadet in 1964, became a senior member in 1969 and let my membership lapse in 1995. I rejoined last year and was given a serial number of 145xxx. My join date in eServices is when I became a senior member in 1969.

futura

I appreciate everyone's comments. Yes I did contact the amazing Susie Parker. Not a surprise but National records don't go back 50 years. Please keeps those replies coming.

wacapgh

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 05, 2017, 12:46:26 PM
When I joined as a Cadet in 73, my CAPSN was 75XXXX.

Near the end of 74 - 757XXX.

I remember when the switch back from SSAN's to the 6 digit was announced, there was an immediate avalanche of "Can I have my old Cadet ID back?" requests.  ;D

SarDragon

As far as join dates go, there are two places in your online record where they appear.

If you click your name in the unit listing, the entry on the General tab should show your first joined date.

If you click Member Search Report, you will get your most recent join date.

I was a SM when I lapsed for six years, so there was no cadet transition issues.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

stillamarine

Quote from: SarDragon on January 06, 2017, 12:54:24 AM
As far as join dates go, there are two places in your online record where they appear.

If you click your name in the unit listing, the entry on the General tab should show your first joined date.

I was a SM when I lapsed for six years, so there was no cadet transition issues.

Still don't show my cadet time. But eServices didn't exist back then. I'm pretty sure we used SSANs. I remember ordering the metal id card from the bookstore and it having my SSAN on it.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

I joined as a Cadet in Dec 1969 and my CAPSN was 691XXX.

SarDragon

Well, after massaging all the given data, I've got to agree with FW on the 1967 time frame, and will SWAG it down to September or October of that year.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Toad1168

Quote from: stillamarine on January 06, 2017, 01:04:25 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on January 06, 2017, 12:54:24 AM

Still don't show my cadet time. But eServices didn't exist back then. I'm pretty sure we used SSANs. I remember ordering the metal id card from the bookstore and it having my SSAN on it.

Still have my metal one!
Toad

futura

Thank you Sar Dragon and everyone else that helped me unravel the mystery. It was in September and we've confirmed that 1967 was the year I joined as a 14 year old cadet. Boy 50 years went by pretty quickly!