Should the Safety Beacon be scaled back or discontinued?

Started by RiverAux, July 10, 2014, 09:01:22 PM

Live2Learn

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 14, 2015, 06:28:07 PM
As always, the data may exist, but the next step is to convince someone going off of that data to consider the option, accept is as the best course of action, and implement it.

That's the very, very challenging part of safety. Awareness is generally easy. Advocacy, on-paper, is easy if you have an audience willing to hear you out. Getting them to actually go by your message is a whole new ballgame.

Yep.  Nice summary of the issue and a follow up problem statement.  When I hear CAP "safety officers" among the apologists for the status quo it's clear there ain't likely to be much movement in view point or action.  I don't think mandating helmets would be necessary to see increased adoption.  Some level of adoption would like occur if CAP would negotiate a preferred price schedule with a couple of suppliers who offer equipment at different cost strata.  I tried a Faro helmet last winter that was fairly comfortable, with ANR included priced about  $400.  that.  That's a whole lot more palatable than a Gentex at $1600.  David Clark's helmet is known to have made at least three 'saves' in Alaska.  I'm told it's comfortable, but the company says it won't handle LightSpeed or Bose headsets.  Bummer.

rsuncloud

I sat in a meeting today and listened to an Introduction To Behavior Based Safety.  The speaker told us the way to get Buy In was to ask the Employee (read volunteer) what needs to change to be more safe.
Is there value in BBS.
Can CAP find a way to use this?
My Goal is to find, develop and distribute world class training that not only meets the letter of the law, but teaches fundamental principles which allow employees to make safer, more economical decisions

James Shaw

Quote from: rsuncloud on August 21, 2015, 12:36:21 AM
I sat in a meeting today and listened to an Introduction To Behavior Based Safety.  The speaker told us the way to get Buy In was to as the Employee (read volunteer) what needs to change to be more safe.
Is there value in BBS.
Can CAP find a way to use this?

BBS is an excellent approach to developing and improving a Safety Culture. There are a couple of things that are key in the implementation of BBS.

1) The people that are instructing BBS have to be SME in their approach and able to show you and the organization how it can be beneficial within your current organization. '
2) It is not a system that can be approached overnight and expect immediate results. It may only take months to do the base training for it, but it will take years for it to work within the culture. Old behaviors and attitudes are difficult to address.
3) BBS is on the baseline program. It gives you a guide on how to address the behavior but the people and their participation are the most important cultural element.
4) BBS processes and approach have shown significant  results and then kind of level out. it is very important to keep the "program" alive through retraining and new approaches. The "Cycle" of success will last about 3 years and then it will need a reboot.
5) The program MUST be spearheaded by the Organizational Leadership, they have to be active or it will die quickly.

Safestart is a BBS program and an excellent organizational tool to address known behaviors.....it has to be implemented in their methodology.

I have been lucky in that within my 25+ plus years of Safety that most of that has been spent teaching and implementing a BBS system with very large corporations and several years as a Safestart Instructor.

Excellent programs if properly utilized.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - Current
USCGA:2018 - Current
SGAUS: 2017 - Current