Main Menu

National Must be Joking, Right?

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, October 16, 2010, 05:02:56 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: ZigZag911 on October 24, 2010, 03:45:11 PMGuess I invented a new term accidentally -- it was supposed to be "Darwin Awards",
Well, inadvertent or not, it's still yours. Mind if I borrow? Kinda like it.

ZigZag911

DakRadz

The NatComm seems to understand the true meaning of our Safety program- or at least her script writers do. "If Safety was the only number one priority, then we would never fly airplanes. We would not take a ground team into harm's way following a devastating hurricane." etc., so on. Something very positive considering the other thread elsewhere..

In relation to the new Safety video which is discussed elsewhere.

sneakers

In my opinion many of the "higher-ups" in CAP are obsessed with safety. Should we exercise common sense? Absolutely. But if you look at the new "intro to safety" course that is required, the questions border on the idiotic! Injuries will happen to a certain extent. The only way for no injuries to happen (I think) is to make our mission only going door-to-door selling cookies like the girl scouts.

Eclipse

Quote from: pilot2b on April 01, 2011, 02:18:12 AMThe only way for no injuries to happen (I think) is to make our mission only going door-to-door selling cookies like the girl scouts.

The way for no injuries to happen is to practice ORM in our activities, which, despite the posturing here and elsewhere about
"too much safety training", has not slowed the number of avoidable vehicle and bodily injury mishaps we have had in the last year.

When we get to statistical zero on avoidable mishaps we will have more standing to complain.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on April 01, 2011, 02:48:47 AM
Quote from: pilot2b on April 01, 2011, 02:18:12 AMThe only way for no injuries to happen (I think) is to make our mission only going door-to-door selling cookies like the girl scouts.

The way for no injuries to happen is to practice ORM in our activities, which, despite the posturing here and elsewhere about
"too much safety training", has not slowed the number of avoidable vehicle and bodily injury mishaps we have had in the last year.

When we get to statistical zero on avoidable mishaps we will have more standing to complain.
Perhaps some of our activities and personnel are just more accident/injury prone :-\.  Likely better supervision in conjunction with supervisory keen awareness of ORM many have an impact on accidents/injury rates.  I'm not so sure sitting someone down in front of of a computer and read/take a multiple question test accomplishments very much.  May a simple laminated card, with ORM principles and a few slogans such as THINK BEFORE YOU ACT, coupled with a very thoughout briefing BEFORE the specific activity begins might be better.
RM

commando1

Quote from: pilot2b on April 01, 2011, 02:18:12 AM
The only way for no injuries to happen (I think) is to make our mission only going door-to-door selling cookies like the girl scouts.
That comment makes me wonder how many Girl Scouts are injured every year..."Scout Snuffy was selling cookies and was stung by a wasp." "Scout Snuffy slipped off a curb and sprained her ankle"...etc. What is the Girl Scout response? Accidents happen. What would be the CAP response? We'll put together another mandatory safety test about curbs.  >:D
Non Timebo Mala

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: commando1 on April 10, 2011, 07:38:15 PM
Quote from: pilot2b on April 01, 2011, 02:18:12 AM
The only way for no injuries to happen (I think) is to make our mission only going door-to-door selling cookies like the girl scouts.
That comment makes me wonder how many Girl Scouts are injured every year..."Scout Snuffy was selling cookies and was stung by a wasp." "Scout Snuffy slipped off a curb and sprained her ankle"...etc. What is the Girl Scout response? Accidents happen. What would be the CAP response? We'll put together another mandatory safety test about curbs.  >:D
Actually door to door selling (at least in my area), has pretty much stopped.  There was concern for GS safety, so it usually is sold to folks they know (e.g. your coworkers bring the order form to work) or when they get the cookies a group of them, supervised by adults will sell it in a public area where permitted.

I think that's why some of CAP's former fund raising activities, pretty much aren't used anymore.  Door to door selling can be dangerous to anyone, but especially young teenagers.
RM   

lordmonar

I don't think that door to door selling is all that dangerous.....but it is no simply not allowed in many communities.

I hate when sales people knock on my door.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

manfredvonrichthofen

I just think it is a little outrageous to say that if there is one accident this year everyone is at fault. I would have to say that accidents are part of being human and while almost all are avoidable saying there should be NONE is out there. I would however say that with each accident the proper forms would have to be filled out and proper measures should be taken to ensure that the risks are minimized and if an accident does occur proper measures are also taken to ensure that the same accident doesn't happen again.

Turning CAP into the girl scouts should be out of the question and out of everyone's minds. We just need to ensure that we are all (and here comes the Motto link) vigilant, and take proper measures. Remember, proper prior planning prevents [urine] poor performance.

EDIT: for language.

commando1

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on April 11, 2011, 12:35:10 AM
I just think it is a little outrageous to say that if there is one accident this year everyone is at fault. I would have to say that accidents are part of being human and while almost all are avoidable saying there should be NONE is out there. I would however say that with each accident the proper forms would have to be filled out and proper measures should be taken to ensure that the risks are minimized and if an accident does occur proper measures are also taken to ensure that the same accident doesn't happen again.
I completely agree! Sometimes it seems as if CAP would rather sacrifice operational capability than safety. Don't get me wrong, safety is important. But having a 30 min long safety briefing for every single operation we do seems a little much. YMMV
Non Timebo Mala

jimmydeanno

Other than the ORM course work and new member safety course, the safety briefings, etc have done nothing to curb our operational abilities or amount of time we have to do activities.  Sometimes I wonder if people are making a mountain out of a molehill. 

I just went to a weekend long activity.  The safety briefing at the beginning of the day consisted of where the exits were and the rally point in case of fire.

The safety briefing the next day reminded people to make sure the vans were in good repair before leaving (since most of us had 4+ hours of drive time ahead of us), and to take some rest stops.

Safety is only intrusive if you make it that way.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Yep.

Encampment week 1 -

Day 1 - exits, hydrate, fire drill, health issues (useful info)

Day 2 - ditto, plus a little swimming and PT common sense

Day 3 - mid-day weather briefing as mother nature threatened to flatten the Midwest (and then, apparently, was distracted by something
shiny and forgot to finish).

However...

Teaching ORM-B to a roomful of excited / tired / scared / sleepy cadets, most with no input into the activity itself, seems
like a use of time which would be better spent elsewhere.

"That Others May Zoom"