Main Menu

Bye bye NCASE

Started by RiverAux, December 25, 2006, 10:57:39 PM

A.Member

Quote from: lordmonar on January 02, 2007, 04:45:44 PM
Today...it is not nearly as important, IMHO.  Internally I think it is great.  Externally...I think it is at a point of diminishing return.  How much time and energey should I spend here at Las Vegas educating the citezens of this city about how air power helps them.  They alread have an air port.  Their concerns are about noise and property values.  They already have two air ports inside the city limits...the want to move them out!  So AE in my opinion here in Vegas is a losing proposition.
I think you just touched on why AE (externally) is more important than ever.  GA is under attack.  Satellite airports around the country are at risk.  The NIMBY crowd has a loud voice that must be countered.  AOPA does some of this, so can we.

Technology changes.  You mention that in the early days of aviation, greater exposure was needed.  How about today?  Air travel will become even more prevalent on many scales, despite industry issues.  And what about the "space" portion of the word aerospace?  It's a key component of future Air Force.  Hell, it's part of the mission statement.  We need to help people understand why this is important.  We're also in the very infant stages of commercial passenger space travel.  There is much to be shared.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."