Maj. General Pinada's comments at the TX Wing Conf.

Started by DrJbdm, April 15, 2007, 07:08:00 PM

DrJbdm

This weekend I attended the Texas Wing Conference here in Austin. Gen. Pinada attended the conference and spoke at the opening session on Saturday morning. From what I recall here's a few of the things he mentioned.

1) UNIFORMS: (specifically the TPU) Gen. Pinada said that the "TPU" (was not referred to by that name) was created as a result of what we the members have wanted. He said he placed the uniform together as a result of our input as well as trying to keep costs low. We have been asking for many years to have blue grade slides again as well as metal rank on the service coat. Over the years he has tried many different suggestions to the AF to see if there was someway he could get them to allow such things, they flat refused all suggestions. So he said that he created the TPU so we could have our own uniform that no one could tell us what to do with it. He wanted a professional looking military style uniform that all members could wear regardless of weight. Just have to meet the grooming standard.

2) REMOVING "USAF AUX" OFF UNIFORMS/PLANES: because of the homeland security missions we where being asked to perform, the ruling (not sure by whom) was that we would violate the PCA by having USAF AUX on our planes and uniforms. Gen. Pinada said this is not an attempt to move us away from the AF, he wants to see just the opposite. He wants to see a closer relationship with the USAF.

3) MEMBERSHIP: He said that not everyone who wants to join CAP needs to be able to join CAP. He wants to see an increase in standards in membership.  He is bring a Membership Board back to CAP and will make it manadatory for all membership actions. He is developing a form that says the Unit Commander has interviewed this applicant and that the Membership Board has also interviewed this applicant and they both find him to be capable of serving as a member of CAP and that he brings skills and abilities that would make him as asset to CAP. He further stated there will be no such standards for cadets, that he wants every single youth in America to join CAP. That he's leading a program to go into the inner city neighborhoods to recruit cadets. He's a believer in the life changing power that CAP has in a young persons life.

4) PROMOTIONS: He said that there will be an Oath of office that you will raise you right hand and swear to upon entering into CAP membership, he douse not like the current Oath CAP has now, it may have been fine 20 years ago, but it's not relevent today. further more all promotions will be done in a promotion ceremony, you will once again take an out of office and you will be given a very nice wall certificate for framing and display on your wall. he wants to see it more military like. He said he was tired of seeing people promoted  in a casual manner. He said he has seen people promoted in elevators or just handed new rank and being told, "Oh yeah, your promoted now"

5) NEW FLYING MISSION: He stated that there is a new flying missions for CAP that will involve lot's of flight time, he couldn't say anything more until everything is worked out but that he is VERY excited about this new opportunity for CAP pilots. More info will be released soon.

6) U.S. CAP: CAP's name is being changed to U.S. CAP to better reflect that we are a United States Force. He has said that he has seen the other Civil Air Patrol letterhead and webpages from other nations, all of them state the name of the nation first. he wants there to be no confusion that we are the U.S. CAP. I believe he said that name tags will now be changed as well. I'm not completely certain on that but thats would I believe he said.

I think, that's it, I may have missed a few things but from what I can remember thats pretty accurate of what he said. I have tried to state as close to accurate his own words. Hey, alot of what he said has mirrored what was being said here. Seems as he has been reading some of our ideas. We never know.

I had a chance to meet him and talk to him for a while, he was very friendly and cordial, he and I shared several laughs and talked a bit about our civilian jobs. (we're both LEO's) I thought he was a very nice gentleman. It was nice to finally hear something of a vision that he has for CAP.

ColonelJack

Thanks for that information, DrJbdm.

Now ... we have been given some of the vision Gen. Pineda has for CAP.  Let's not beat that particular dead horse any more, eh?  Sure, there are things in here that many of us will not like ... but hey -- that's why he's the major general and we aren't.  Nice to know there were reasons behind the things done.

Movin' right along ... (Kermit the Frog, "The Muppet Movie")

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

DNall

That's not a vision... a vision is here is where the org WILL be ultimately & here is the detailed step by step 1/5/10/20 year plans how to get there. Now you sq/gp/wg/regs go forth & execute all that you do in a manner supporting of this concept. And sell us all as members on adopting this concept almost as if it were our new religion. If he told you something like that & you didn't mention it then start talking... I'm sorry I didn't go now, I would have pressed him on the subject.

I am glad though to see clarification on some of those other items. That doesn't mean I agree - it doesn't matter what the side of the plane says when you violate PCA, only if it's the AF or the state that's breaking the law. If the miloitary buys us plane/radios, funds the training that makes the mission possible, and the insurance that covers us in case of an accident, and provides oversight of the maint... then we are bound by PCA all the time without exception. Same deal with the uniform. You can't just weasle thru loop holes & think that's alright. If you don't live by the spirit & culture of the rules all the way down to the smallest details, then you just don't get it & can't function. On the other hand, I'm glad to see some things we've talked about, like the more selective entrance standards, review boards, and merit promotions getting some play.

JC004

Well I am glad that he's out there addressing some of the questions that are raised.  I'd like to see it coming out to the general membership, though...possibly through use of nationalcommander.com. (btw...is that site in compliance with CAPR 110-1?)

DrJbdm

Dennis, I agree it's not a vision statement and i don't call it that. It is something of a vision however, but not a substitute for a clear concise statement of vision concerning where we are and where he wants us to go.

I agree with you on the PCA thing, I did bring up that I believed that I had heard that a U.S. Attorney has already made an opinion that he didn't believe it was a violation of the PCA for CAP to do such missions while displaying USAF AUX on the tail or on our uniforms, I suggested that we should have asked for an Attorney General's ruling on the subject before we just took everything that says USAF off the planes and uniforms. But the CAP legal officers are the ones really running the show around here.

It is good that several of the things we have talked about on here are taking fruit to a degree. Hopefully it gets expanded upon. So, a few good things are happening. I'm little more optimistic on some of the things going on.

Dennis, I think you would have enjoyed a chance to talk to TP had you been able to come. I'm glad I went. Wished i would have or could have pressed him on some of the issues but I didn't feel the place was right at that moment.

CadetProgramGuy

I've actually met Gen Peneda, I have my own opinions of the man.

But what are your observations of him?  I don't care for responses if you have never met him.  I do care about those of you that have.

Remember Gen Peneda is alot like President Bush.  Elected official, makes decisions on what he thinks is the best for everyone, and is loved/hated by everyone.

What are your thoughts?

DNall

Quote from: DrJbdm on April 15, 2007, 08:48:16 PM
But the CAP legal officers are the ones really running the show around here.
Civil liability attorneys have no clue about public sector law, especially not on the extremely advanced level this issue exists at. Most of the legal counsel in congress would not be qualified to make that judgement.

QuoteI'm little more optimistic on some of the things going on.
I'm a little sorry I didn't make it out as well. I actually had to get some stuff done for the Army over the last few days & thru the next couple weeks. I am in general optomistic about CAP as a whole, and frankly if TP would just get out in the open & lead from the front in full public view with a vision he sells the members on & lets get going - he'd be dodging crap from detractors, but he's doing that now - then I think most of us would follow. He hasn't done that though & that's a leadership failure... ultimarely it doesn't matter how good your ideas are if you don't lead them thru in the light of day. I understand a lot of important things happen behind the curtain, but that only works when the troops are in gear and on the right road because you've put them there, then you can duck back behind the curtain for a while.

Major Lord

It is spelled P I N E D A, not Pinada, pinata, or peneda, or pendejo. Tell me you guys know your chain of command!

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: CaptLord on April 15, 2007, 09:55:03 PM
It is spelled P I N E D A, not Pinada, pinata, or peneda, or pendejo. Tell me you guys know your chain of command!

Capt. Lord

My Apologies to Gen Pineda.

Eagle400

It's nice to know that general Pineda has answered questions regarding the TPU, removal of "USAF AUX" from aircraft, membership, promotions, new flying mission, and "U.S. CAP."

However, I still have yet to find out why the American flag is worn on the BDU for CAP.  Does anyone know why?

Hopefully, the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" branch tapes will be a good reason to remove the American flag patch from the BDU, as the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" tapes do a good enough job identifying CAP as American.

mikeylikey

I don't like any of what I read.  Sounds like membership will be dropping more $$$ on another change.  Why keep us in suspense of what (new flying missions" are coming.  (My guess is border patrol, in conjunction with that new law that was proposed by that PA Congressman).  

Finally, it is not necessary to raise your right hand and take a new oath of office each time you are promoted.  The military does not even do that any longer.  I think it even says on the paper you sign stating that you took your original oath to commission that you don't need to retake the oath every time.  What is this promotion board going to do?  Who will it be comprised of?  My guess, members that have already become LTCOL's and Colonels!  

I will wait for more details......
What's up monkeys?

DNall

That law doesn't have a remote chance of passing, but even if it by some miracle did, it doesn't change anything at all. DHS can already ask for missions thru AF, and we're either bound by PCA or not. It's a bad law, really.

Far as border flying. We do a lot of that for the state now, and some still for customs... thing is all that goes toa VERY limited number of highly qualified people & you can't just get into that group. They are already satisfied & getting the work they want. It's the guy that joins my unit & wants to train as an observer or MP that isn't going to get any real work for two years. That's the guy that's getting screwed & needs more missions. The bigger deal though is the ground work. The largest majority of ES focused people are on the ground side & that mission is drying up with little to replace it cause they haven't moved on NIMS.

On promotion boards... it's an optional thing to evaluate new applicants & for all promotins on both the cadet & adult side. This would make that mandatory & I assume provide further guidance on where the standards should be. That's a good thing.

And yes you do have to swear an oath every time on the officer side anyway. Legally your comission at 2Lt is invalidated & you get a new on at the new grade. It's the same thing as the VP has to take the oath if the Pres is killed, even though it's the exact same oath they took as VP & still legaly binding, it's still a requirement of officer to declare your loyalty & such.

Major Carrales

DrJbdm's summary of the Major General's speech is accurate.  I would go as far as to say that the Major General was sincere in is tone and serious about his understanding and "vision for CAP."

Before this, I did not know the man...all I knew of him was that official reading form CAP NHQ and what was written about him here.  After hearing him speak, talking briefly with him and seeing how he carried himself I can say that I do not dislike him personally.

The uniform issue is really a moot one.  So many of us have tried to read so much into it.  It really doesn't reflect and relationship "pain or pleasure" between the USAF and CAP.  I really think this man sat down and tried to find a solution...a compromise...to try to make his membership happy.  I don't even think he tried to do it to "go down in history."  I really think he thought he would make those calling for "metal rank and blue sleeves" happy.  I also think the blue sleeve shouldermarks might need to have CAP on them.

Removing USAF Aux, too, has cause much over-analysis.  Here again, I think CAP Legal, not just the Major General really intended to do right to expand the scope of CAP missions.  We will always give priority to the USAF, but CAP is a tool that can easily dull.  By expanding CAP mission into HLS and traditionally Law Enforcement roles CAP is more viable.  I know there are those that see a CAP that "hires out" as being less of the USAF Auxiliary, but did anyone ever think that such an arrangement might actually further the image of the USAF to those agencies?  As for posse comitatus, when asked if we are Civilians or Military which one is the only answer.  After having read Col Hodgkin's remarks at CAPBLOG and fully examined the relationship between CAP and USAF, I am inclined to think that the USAF may actually enourage its auxiliary into that realm.  If not, don't you think that they would "smash us like a bug" for violating it?

In anycase, the laywers to be be certain before we take on those rolls.

What the Major General said about membership should not offend any here, especially those that are always calling for high standards and "oaths."  And CAP as an alternative to gangs and crime is a worthy goal.  In fact I hope my efforts at my school might actually save some kids.

"US Civil Air Patrol," I must honestly say, may be a needless change.  It will cost some money.  I will also say that the Major General also seems to believe that this is a necessary thing.

Well, that was my impression of these issues.  I could be wrong and likely am, one speculations of what another man is thinking are only as accurate as chance may dictate.

In anycase (once more), I will say that I believe in the Squadron and Group and will always put the missions of CAP above the politics of it.  After all, we are here to accomplish a job.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

Quote from: DNall on April 15, 2007, 11:22:09 PM
And yes you do have to swear an oath every time on the officer side anyway. Legally your comission at 2Lt is invalidated & you get a new on at the new grade. It's the same thing as the VP has to take the oath if the Pres is killed, even though it's the exact same oath they took as VP & still legaly binding, it's still a requirement of officer to declare your loyalty & such.

UMM......you Sir are incorrect.  "According to 10 USC 626 14309 eliminates the necessity on executing oath on promotion of Officers"
here is the linky for it http://www.army.mil/usapa/eforms/pdf/A71.PDF
look at the bottom instructions, number 2
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

Quote from: 12211985 on April 15, 2007, 10:30:25 PM
It's nice to know that general Pineda has answered questions regarding the TPU, removal of "USAF AUX" from aircraft, membership, promotions, new flying mission, and "U.S. CAP."

However, I still have yet to find out why the American flag is worn on the BDU for CAP.  Does anyone know why?

Hopefully, the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" branch tapes will be a good reason to remove the American flag patch from the BDU, as the "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" tapes do a good enough job identifying CAP as American.

Geez, just accept the fact that it is required and move on. Come on already.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

Quote from: LtCol White on April 16, 2007, 12:41:42 AM

I agree, it was approved by all and thus it is policy.  If it was somehow wrong the USAF would have (or would at anytime) ordered it removed.

Honestly, I do not see why a US flag is so offensive to some.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: LtCol White on April 16, 2007, 12:41:42 AM

The Army has US Army on their nametapes.  According to your logic they should pull the flag off the uniform.

I know CAP does not deploy outside of CONUS, but don't you feel proud to have the flag on your shoulder?

AlphaSigOU

This is the second time I've met Gen Pineda - and I have no problem with the man or by his vision of CAP. Granted, he's introduced some items that have gotten mixed reviews from the membership, but I think he means well.

I'm one of the ones who wear the 'TPU' corporate combination in my CAP duties. Still has a couple of minor tweaks (mainly the addition of CAP to the grade slides) that need to be done  The flight officer slides already have them; I don't see a problem with Vanguard adding them to the officer grades.

I have served on active duty in the U.S. Air Force, and while I'm just above my max weight for wearing the USAF-style uniform, I'm following the reg and wearing the corporate alternates. I'd rather wear the TPU than the corporate grays.

The female version of the TPU service dress coat is now available from Vanguard. Don't know the catalog numbers, but it is the same $160 as the male jacket.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Monty

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 16, 2007, 12:49:37 AM
...........cut...............don't you feel proud to have the flag on your shoulder?

I know for me, NOT having it on any other clothing I own doesn't make me any LESS proud of being an American......

Eagle400

Quote from: LtCol White on April 16, 2007, 12:41:42 AMGeez, just accept the fact that it is required and move on. Come on already.

No offense to anyone.  All I want to know is why CAP wears the American Flag on the BDU.

I think the uniform is patiotic enough without the flag.  When I get back into CAP, I won't need an American flag on my shoulder to remind me of who I am or why I wear the uniform.  YMMV.