Member Exit Survey Data?

Started by JC004, April 15, 2007, 04:01:42 AM

JC004

A long while back, there were a few copies of results from exit surveys floating around.  It was in some PowerPoints and such, but I can't seem to find them anymore.  Does anybody know where this can be found?  It has some nice figures on percentages of folks leaving for _____ reason. 

RiverAux

Haven't seen anything that detailed.  There was a mention of some such survey information on the Executive Director's web page in January. 

QuoteInterestingly, the survey of former members showed that most left CAP because they simply moved! The majority had no difficulties with our organization nor were they disheartened, they moved to a new location and just had not reconnected in their new locale.

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on April 15, 2007, 04:07:25 AM
Haven't seen anything that detailed.  There was a mention of some such survey information on the Executive Director's web page in January. 

QuoteInterestingly, the survey of former members showed that most left CAP because they simply moved! The majority had no difficulties with our organization nor were they disheartened, they moved to a new location and just had not reconnected in their new locale.

IIRC, some of the data I saw was used in various presentations at the Philadelphia and Cincinnati national conferences.  [darn]ed if I can find the files that I had.  I saw this stuff from the Executive Director's cockpit, but it doesn't seem to have been published in detail and I don't know if I trust that the majority of members left because they moved.  I can think of a couple of squadrons that lost significant numbers of members over the past few years and most of those folks (most of whom I know, many of them are friends who I still remain in contact with) didn't leave because of moving.  It's not a cross-section of the whole organization, but still...I don't think the majority of members here would think that is our main retention problem either.

mikeylikey

Wasn't it something like  "all of our members that are leaving CAP are leaving because of moving".  They referenced very few legitimate reasons for quiting CAP.  It was almost pure propaganda!
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 15, 2007, 04:21:32 PM
Wasn't it something like  "all of our members that are leaving CAP are leaving because of moving".  They referenced very few legitimate reasons for quiting CAP.  It was almost pure propaganda!

uh hu...Maybe they just told NHQ that they moved so the black van wouldn't come for them.   >:D  I wanted the old survey, but I don't know if someone out there still happens to have it.  I figured it was worth a try.  I remember the reasons included things like family reasons, time commitment, cost, lack of meaningful duty assignment (a big one IIRC), etc.

RiverAux

The other big factor is whether they separated cadets from seniors in the survey because that could make a very big difference in the results of the survey.  I wouldn't be surprised to see "moving" listed as a reason for lots of cadets going away to college, but I have a hard time believing it accounted for a majority of seniors leaving the program. 

However, that doesn't mean that it couldn't come out as the reason listed by most people, even if it didn't account for a majority.  Imagine if there were 10 options, it wouldn't take very many people chosing one of them to make it the most common selection. 

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on April 15, 2007, 05:24:46 PM
The other big factor is whether they separated cadets from seniors in the survey because that could make a very big difference in the results of the survey.  I wouldn't be surprised to see "moving" listed as a reason for lots of cadets going away to college, but I have a hard time believing it accounted for a majority of seniors leaving the program. 

However, that doesn't mean that it couldn't come out as the reason listed by most people, even if it didn't account for a majority.  Imagine if there were 10 options, it wouldn't take very many people chosing one of them to make it the most common selection. 

The cadet/senior factor is something I was thinking about last night and a good point. When one conducts a survey, it is important for those looking at the data to be able to see the survey itself and its methodologies.  I would hope NHQ releases these in full.

I also wonder how many members leave for a combination of reasons, not just one. 

There's been a lot of discussion about volunteer retention in groups that I belong to/work with related to my other non-profit work.  In sitting down and writing out my philosophy of volunteer retention, I realized...the majority of CAP units (and CAP as a whole) aren't really doing this stuff.  I've taken an intense interest in the subject of retention, especially as I see the National Commander and my Wing King talk about it constantly.

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on April 15, 2007, 05:32:46 PM
I've taken an intense interest in the subject of retention, especially as I see the National Commander and my Wing King talk about it constantly.

I wonder if they have any ideas on how to help retention?  Or perhaps they are just worried they may loose key people that they need for support.  Reference the PAWG CO and the mess that may result when he leaves!
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

Well, they have taken the step of creating a recruiting and retention specialty track to at least recognize people doing this vital task.  Unfortunately, there isn't really much training associated with it. 

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on April 15, 2007, 10:00:39 PM
Well, they have taken the step of creating a recruiting and retention specialty track to at least recognize people doing this vital task.  Unfortunately, there isn't really much training associated with it. 

I haven't seen may people in it either (actual results may vary).

jimmydeanno

I wonder how many people they actually got that were "upset" or "angry" with the organization to reply.  Someone who left on a sour note is probably not going to be as willing to take this survey than someone who just "moved."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rangersigo

I am exiting soon after 5 months in CAP - where is the survey?

keystone102

Rangersigo

Why are you leaving CAP?

Rangersigo

I don't want to fill the board with my personal experiences that have from what I can tell, been about as unprofessional as I have experienced.  Hopefully, I have a move coming up in the near future and will be able to give it another shot at a different wing.

A.Member

Quote from: Rangersigo on April 16, 2007, 06:14:03 PM
I don't want to fill the board with my personal experiences that have from what I can tell, been about as unprofessional as I have experienced.  Hopefully, I have a move coming up in the near future and will be able to give it another shot at a different wing.
Unfortunately, I've heard that before.  I hope you do give it another shot and have better results.  We definitely need quality people that are interested in raising the bar.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Flying Pig

If possible, I would always recommend trying a differnet Squadron before deciding to leave all together.  For some that may not be possible because of where they live.  Its amazing how different some Squadrons are from each other.

I have been involved with CAP off and on since 1987.  In my experience with people it, very few I know have left because they are upset with the organization.  I know many Seniors who had joined because their children were cadets.  Cadets grow up and move on, the parents move on.  In my last unit that happened a lot.  The parents were great and valuable members while they were there.

Some it has been financial.  They cant afford the $86 (in Ca.) when it comes time and decide to just move on.  Theere have been times in my life where $100 needed to go somewhere else.  Maybe they dont take the steps to officially go inactive.  This is probably a small number though.

A large number I have known, it just doesnt fit into their lives anymore, or no longer suits their needs.

I dont know that a Retention Track would do any good.  Unless you give the Retention officer the authority to cater to everyones specific needs.  I think the Sq Comm would be the best to fill that and make those calls.