Finally some upbeat info from LtCol Hayden CAPF-24

Started by RayHayden, March 30, 2007, 01:54:28 PM

RayHayden

The CAPF-24 speech...

In a nutshell, I used to do a short lecture on the progression in CAP.

A lot of other folks likely saw this and had been doing it on their own, but I made a little speech about it.

When we come into CAP, we all likely ask ourselves, as one of the first questions, "What do I do now?"

The answer is found in obtaining a copy of the CAPF-24, Request for Professional Development Awards.

On that form, you see all that you need to do to earn the awards in the Professional Development Program. As such, it is a wonderful tool to use to Plan your progression in CAP.

Take the form and look over what you need to do to get to the next level. There are things that need to have other requirements met first, so you simply look for what it is you need to do, and how to accomplish those tasks, and in the process, the new member becomes pretty self sufficient on how to find out all they will ever need to know in CAP.

Now, take the blanks for dates and start planning on when you will fill them in. Plan to attend Wing and Region conferences, plan for specialty ratings and when you will reach each level.

Use the form as a check sheet and start filling in things as the opportunities present themselves.

The one item that really keyed the CAPF-24 in for me was that for Level V, Gil Robb Wilson award, you need to conduct a Level I Orientation... this is a Level V requirement for everyone, but a Level I requirement for Professional Development Officers!

That showed me that ANYONE can start knocking out requirements as soon as they can - this, along with the Professional Development Weekend really pumped out a lot of people blasting their way through the CAPF-24 requirements.

In mapping out your game plan with a CAPF-24, you are putting times on when you want to get things done. In doing so, you are committing to getting these things done as it is your individual plan of action for your goals and objectives... you will at a glance know when you can count on the next step in your CAP career.

LtCol Hayden, FLWG
Former Director of Professional Development, Southeast Region

Pylon

Great idea and thanks for sharing some professional development information.

I always liked using CAPR 50-17 Attachment 1 ("CAP Senior Member Professional Development Program Progression & Awards") to track what I've already got completed.   As each "requirement" block, award or task was completed, I'd highlight them.  Unlighted areas meant that I needed to square those away to finish my next level.

For a while, I also tacked it to the wall near my desk as a motiviation to get moving on certain tasks.  A quick glance at the chart showed a lack of highlighting in areas and reminded me to get going to color in the whole page.   8)

Just need to get my rear end to a RSC this summer and finish a few tasks for my Master Rating to finish up my Level IV.  Not too shabby for a 1st Lt.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb