Main Menu

Squadron Dues

Started by MIKE, March 20, 2007, 05:51:39 PM

afgeo4

"Last I checked, shelling out money wasn't part of the promotion process...just curious."

Funny... I'm pretty sure I won't make Major until I shell out for two conferences. Wait... what does CAP stand for again?
GEORGE LURYE

jimmydeanno

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 16, 2007, 07:19:48 AM
"Last I checked, shelling out money wasn't part of the promotion process...just curious."

Funny... I'm pretty sure I won't make Major until I shell out for two conferences. Wait... what does CAP stand for again?

Exactly my point, squadrons don't do enough fund raising to decrease the costs of their members.  If National HQ isn't going to flow some of the money to the squadron, it is left to us. 

Right now if you want to be promoted to there is usually a fee associated with SLS, CLC, Conferences, RSC, NSC, etc.  So it basically comes down to, if you want to be a Lt Col, give us a thousand dollars and you can be one.  Not to mention whatever other stuff you pay for "out of pocket."

Don't get me wrong though, the PD Courses are worthwhile to go to and can be challenging at times, but a little expensive for my taste.  When I hosted my last SLS, the cost was $0.00.  I worked out donated breakfast and lunch, National Supplied the copies of the material, I got donated binders and such from Wal*Mart.  The member only had to pay for lodging and dinner ($10/night + 1 dinner).  Not too shabby IMO.

Unfortunately, these costs are also frequently given to the cadets, for things as small as their grade insignia and ribbons.  I think it is a true shame for a cadet to not be able to wear the ribbons s/he's earned because they can't afford not to.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SAR-EMT1

IIRC... several years ago, a local VFW chapter graciously purchased a ton of ribbons, grade insignias and ribbon holders for cadets, enough to supply many, for many years to come.  -- I believe the squadron had several members who were a part of said chapter. Including the most amazing Chaplain.  :angel:

I think my unit could pursue the 'snack bar ' idea at meetings. As is,  when seniors grab a styrofoam cup we are required to put a donation into a coffee pot  :P
Picking up a bunch of 10 cent walmart sodas and charging a quarter or so for cadets would work just as well - as long as they are decaf sodas.  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

jimmydeanno

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 17, 2007, 06:01:11 AM
IIRC... several years ago, a local VFW chapter graciously purchased a ton of ribbons, grade insignias and ribbon holders for cadets, enough to supply many, for many years to come.  -- I believe the squadron had several members who were a part of said chapter. Including the most amazing Chaplain.  :angel:

That is/was a great idea!  The members recognized the need, and followed through!  Great Work!  On another note, notice the VFW didn't just add to the 'slush fund,' instead purchased specific things, that way they know what the money was being used for...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CadetProgramGuy

Kansas Wing has a Cadet Kit, that has inspired me to build.  Their kit has every piece of bling that a cadet or officer needs.  They even have the name tags of members that have left the program so cadets that break one, have a temporary replacement.

Stonewall

A little late to the party...

I never heard of squadron dues until I transfered to a squadron that had them.  I felt guilty and it wasn't even my fault or decision.  Not a fan, but you may just be in a situation where they're needed.

We asked for $20 per cadet and $30 per senior each year.  If a family had more than 1 cadet as a member, they only paid $15 a head.  Husband and wife members, only $20 a head.

VFW and American Legion are excellent advocates of the Cadet Program.  I've had grants from both on several occasions.  But you can't just walk up and ask for money.  If you're not involved with either organization just yet, send a letter asking to meet with the post commander as a courtesy, to offer assistance to their post for color guards, flag burning ceremonies, parking lot control for big activities, or to simply help out for whatever they need help with.

We got multiple grants from the American Legion between $500 and $1500.  Just had to explain to them in advance what you would do with the money.

Only one time did we ask for money, and they gave it to us.  Had several cadets that wanted to go to encampment or NCSA's that couldn't afford it.  One family had 3 kids in the program so multiply encampment fees, uniforms, etc by 3.  Had them fund a very active senior member's renewal ($65) because she was a single mom, our MLO and excellent asset to the unit, but lacked money.

Money is out there, sometimes you just have to ask.  And you always have to say thank you and follow up with a report of what the money was used for.  I loath to hear of the day that donated money was misused.
Serving since 1987.