Main Menu

cap unit locator

Started by RiverAux, February 12, 2007, 03:13:36 AM

RiverAux

Does anyone else miss the old CAP unit locator that let you search by state and find all units in that state?  We've now gone to a system where you can only get geographically-limited results (to the nearest unit or 3 units or within a certain distance, but less than 50 miles). 

Unfortunately, the system apparently incluce Wing headquarters, so finding info on them requires separate searches on the regular internet.  I typed in the zip for our Wing hq and it just returned local squadrons.  That sure isn't going to help with other agencies getting in touch with the main player in the state. 

I know this isn't a super critical issue, but is an irritant. 

lordmonar

Much more practical for new people (which is what it is for).  For CAP members who are looking for units...you should go to the wing web page....that's what I do when I need to find all the units in a state.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DNall

RiverAux

Unfortunately a significant percentage of Wing web pages are not that user friendly and may or may not have good information on squadrons.  I suppose what I'm asking for is the addition of a function that would let you few all units in that state.  I don't think that is too complicated or too much to ask. 

Chris Jacobs

I do miss the old one.  I wish they would let you search in both manners.  one way would be the current type in your zip, and the other would be the old look up the whole state list.
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Chris Jacobs

C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

RogueLeader

But what about those interested in joining, would they be able to acess it?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

sure...if they knew that it existed and how to find it.

Most new members or transfering members would just use the search function in the "join CAP" page.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RogueLeader

oh, ok.  Just thought that I'd check.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

Unfortunately that has no squadron web page information on it.  And the addresses are mostly mailing addresses.  The old search function had meeting days, times, etc.  A new person industrious enough might be able to use the unit directory to then do a targeted search on the unit locator to get that information, but why put them through all the trouble? 

Basically we took a half-step backward with this change.  Its not a full step because there are some advantages to the current system. 

Tim Medeiros

not only that but the unit directory pdf file is only updated about every quarter, not good if theres a change of command, change in meeting location etc during that time, or even a unit deactivation or activation
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811