Recruting and Retention Track

Started by BillB, February 07, 2007, 10:18:46 PM

JC004

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 05:36:54 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 20, 2007, 05:33:16 AM
Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 05:30:59 AM
Sounds like Mikey's in serious need of some R&R "love"

Pretty much he was saying his initial quote to himself.  He dissociates sometimes.  I need him around for my revolution, though.

Just noticed that you're from PAWG... will you be attending the McGuire AFB Air Show next month?

I might be.  We shall see.  My schedule has been all kinds of whacked recently.  I'm doing Sun N Fun this weekend...come on down...it's hovering around 80 degrees down here (and not real humid).   :D

CadetProgramGuy

Being a former Army Recruiter, the first thing CAP must focus on is the internal problems.

Retention:  CAP has a loss rate measures in days and months.

Officers leave the program after about 90 days, cadets about 6 months.

The quesiton should be asked Why are they leaving?  If you or your unit cannot answer this question effectivly then you have a retention issue.

Find out why.  MML and SIMS tells you when a member is 90 days from Expiring membership.  Drop them a phone call, better yet talk to them in person.  Let them know you care. (Taken from another thread)

If your membership chooses to leave CAP send them a letter, thanking them for their time and effort, reminding them that the training they received is valuable to CAP.

Only when the hemmorage is stopped, then you can concentrate on recruiting.  To be honest, recruiting may become easier if you treat your people better.

Just a couple of thoughts.

JC004

CadetProgramGuy

And with that...My one good thought for the week is gone. ;D

SAR-EMT1

Ok, my situation is that my unit only has 4 active seniors and 3 active cadets.

To keep any newbie involved for more then a month we need a MASS influx.

The only way to get new bodies is to offer interesting opportunities. And we cant do that with our numbers.

To even have a shot at keeping our new applicants for 3 months, - let alone 6 months. Id say my unit needs 5 more seniors and a dozen cadets.

So my question is... how can I recruit that number whilst keeping folks from leaving at the same time?

- edit for spelling
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

BillB

One thing you can do for the first month or so, is forget the CAP cadet program per 52-16. What you need to do is to get prospective cadets or your current cadets to do interesting activities, such as touring a Control tower, meeting with the person in change of the flight line at your FBO. Find a school that has JROTC (air force or army) and get the instructor to visit and teach basic D&C. Things along this line to keep the cadets interested. Then start the program per 52-16. This will get you some cadets and with cadets come the parents.
The above can be done with the few active members you have, and should help build the unit to the point that you can do an effective recruiting program. The old Florida Wing Manual CP-1 "Project Boot" has been updated and is a recruiting and retention manual. It can be modified to meet your particular needs since it was produced to be only a guide. Send me an email address and I'll forward it.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

arajca

1. Set aside a meeting date. Make it regular meeting date. Cancel whatever has been planned for it.

2. Set a reasonable goal.

3. Call or write (letter, not email) every member, active and inactive, and invite them to the meeting. Invite parents as well. My current commander did and we got one inactive member to become active again.

4. At the meeting, explain you're planning for the future of the unit. Get everyone to buy into the goals - this may mean changing them slightly, but having full buy-in is important. Come up with a rough plan to attain those goals - make everyone is involved in it somehow.

5. Refine plan to include measurable steps along the way to provide a sense of accomplishment.

6. Contact folks a wing and national for support and supplies (recruiting materials, etc).

7. Implement plan.

8. Follow-up. Put a poster size chart with all the steps and update it at every meeting to show progress.

DNall

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 20, 2007, 11:10:00 PM
Being a former Army Recruiter, the first thing CAP must focus on is the internal problems.
Retention:  CAP has a loss rate measures in days and months.
Agreed!

QuoteOfficers leave the program after about 90 days, cadets about 6 months.

Find out why.  MML and SIMS tells you when a member is 90 days from Expiring membership.  Drop them a phone call, better yet talk to them in person.  Let them know you care. (Taken from another thread)

If your membership chooses to leave CAP send them a letter, thanking them for their time and effort, reminding them that the training they received is valuable to CAP.
That's fine, except they are six months gone by that point, forgot what CAP is, ditched the uniforms... unrecoverable, or at least harder to bring in than a fresh face. You have ot track you own attendance, and I don't just mean a stack of sign in sheets in a binder, and be proactive about it earlier in the process. If people are missing more than a couple mtgs a quarter then you need to talk to them. Bringing back the dead, that's almost a job for Gp/Wg RR to work on.

QuoteThe quesiton should be asked Why are they leaving?  If you or your unit cannot answer this question effectivly then you have a retention issue.
More then that. There's probably a lot of issues, but I think the main thing is people EXPECT to come into a professional organization with its collective crap together at all levels & operate in a fairly structured way.  With regular ES & flight opportunities (as in at least once or twice a month if not more). With units that are tasked administrative & operational responsibilities commensurate with their real manning. And overall about 100-times less BS.

On the national level... you've got to be absolutely kidding me with this freakin eServices BS, and the ES qual system. That's about as user friendly as a kick in the junk. Fix the services we provide to be 150% user friendly for non-tech savy outsiders that don't know & don't need to learn the personnel administrative system to get their own stuff done. In the marines everone is a rifleman first then whatever other MOS you may have, in CAP I guess you have to be a senior rated personnel officer before you're allowed to progress in the program. That's unacceptable BS that loses us literally thousands of members every year.

When you get done with that, you can fix our crappy outdated regs & really revise a lot of BS rules that make things FAR too complicated. Everything needs to be streamlined & user friendly.

THEN they need to go full bore into: 1) revitalizing our capabilities/readiness; 2) selling that capability to create new & greater mission taskings into the hear tof IMPORTANT things the govt is doing; and, 3) deliver those missions to the professionals in the field.

Acoomplishing the above in my opinion requires a revolutionary change int he quality of membership, way we do business, and professional development program to grow our own leaders thruough their career rather than relying on what they bring from outside systems & experiences.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 04:56:46 AM
My only issues with the requirements are:
1. Attending a recruiting/retention workshop/seminar... Who's going to be the instructor for this seminar? This is a brand new specialty track!

Perhaps a commercially available one?

http://www.recruitersnetwork.com/conferences/

Recruiting is recruiting in my opinion, whether it's CAP or private sector.  It's all about the image you portray and the message that you deliver.  True it's not going to be "tell them CAP is this...," but rather, these are some great places/ideas/tools etc. for recruiting.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 23, 2007, 03:16:33 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on April 20, 2007, 04:56:46 AM
My only issues with the requirements are:
1. Attending a recruiting/retention workshop/seminar... Who's going to be the instructor for this seminar? This is a brand new specialty track!

Perhaps a commercially available one?

http://www.recruitersnetwork.com/conferences/

Recruiting is recruiting in my opinion, whether it's CAP or private sector.  It's all about the image you portray and the message that you deliver.  True it's not going to be "tell them CAP is this...," but rather, these are some great places/ideas/tools etc. for recruiting.

I attended some at national conferences...  Commercial might be an option too - it is probably up to the unit CC or PDO to judge if you met that requirement with whatever class you did.  Knowledgebase would gladly give you TWO answers on commercial courses if you ask!   ;)

jimmydeanno

I'm going to try, right now...HERE IS A SUGGESTION...make the CAPWATCH login information work on the knowledge base, why two accounts!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

CAP Producer

Quote from: JC004 on April 20, 2007, 04:45:44 AM
Data from NHQ:

Recruiting and Retention Specialty Track numbers (nationwide)
Total Enrollments: 178
Master-Rated: 7

I am one of those seven (who hold a master rating in Recruiting and Retention) and I agree with alot of the problems that have been talked about in this discussion

Where alot of our problem is that we sell program A and deliver program C. We promise the world and deliver a small sliver of it.

I think if we were more open with potential members, were more selective about who joins and if the recruit and leadership understood what each expected from the other then we would not have the retention problems that we have.

Policy and process are another issue. but one that is being addressed.

This weekend at our Wing Conference our Wing Recruiting Staff held a breakout session on some of these challenges and how we can address them as well as reaching out do different age groups.

If you are interested in a copy of the handout please either PM me or e-mail at al.pabon@mncap.org

FYI I am also the Wing PAO so it was easy to do the track as alot of it is stuff that I was doing.

If you are interested in ideas and tips on the track (especially on how you can put on RS workshops in your wing/region, complete with powerpoint and handouts) you can also e-mail or PM on that. Forgive me if I take a few days to reply. :)

Al Pabon, Capt, CAP
MN Wing Recruiting and Retention Officer
AL PABON, Major, CAP

RogueLeader

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 20, 2007, 11:18:57 PM
And with that...My one good thought for the week is gone. ;D
You had plenty of good thoughts during the weekend. :)
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

jimmydeanno

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 23, 2007, 03:29:07 PM
I'm going to try, right now...HERE IS A SUGGESTION...make the CAPWATCH login information work on the knowledge base, why two accounts!

UPDATE:

Quote from: CAP Knowledgebase e-mail sent to yours truly
Response (Administrator) - 04/24/2007 07:57 AM
Check with your wing or region to see if a recruiting and retention workshop/seminar is being offered at an upcoming wing or region conference. If not and no CAP member is qualified to present a recruiting and retention workshop/seminar, check with your unit commander to see if he/she will certify attendance at a non-CAP seminar or workshop on recruiting such as one offered by a local agency on recruiting volunteers to meet the requirements in CAPP 226.