Main Menu

New Specialty Tracks

Started by RiverAux, January 15, 2007, 04:30:34 AM

RiverAux

Are there any senior member specialty tracks that we don't have now that we should probably consider developing? 

The Information Technology track is one that has been suggested elsewhere that I think is obviously needed. 

In case you don't remember, here is the list of the current ones:
Personnel
Public Affairs Officer
Finance Officer
Inspector General
Senior Program Officer
Administration
Logistics Officer
Flight Operations Officer
Operations Officer
Standardization/Evaluation Officer
Emergency Services Officer 
Communications Officer
Aerospace Education Officer
Cadet Program Officer
Safety Officer
Plans and Programs Officer
CAP Chaplain
Historian
Moral Leadership
Recruiting and Retention Officer

arajca

IT and HSO tracks are currently in development. I think the IT track is closer to being launched due to the legal issues surrounding the HSO track. An instructor track is being discussed at Maxwell.

DNall

I don't know. I've never liked the way the CP & AE tracks are structured versus how everything else is broken down into sub-tasks. I can't really see much that's missing. Alwasy open to new ideas though.

Jolt

I don't understand what the hold up is for the HSO track.  Is there a problem regarding treatment given during CAP activities?

IT sounds like a great idea for a specialty track.  I think it would be great to allow cadets to get involved with this because some of them seem to know so much about computers.

Guardrail

A good friend of mine is very involved in the CAP-STK (Satellite Tool Kit) program, which explores the space aspects of aerospace and is very in-depth.  He once mentioned the possiblity of a Space badge for cadets who complete the STK program.  Space/STK may be a good idea as a specialty track for both seniors and cadets.

TankerT

How about a Uniform and Bling Badge Design specialty track?

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Guardrail

Quote from: TankerT on January 15, 2007, 05:51:19 AM

Doesn't national take care of that?  Besides, there's no such specialty in the Air Force.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Guardrail on January 15, 2007, 06:10:59 AM

Doesn't national take care of that?  Besides, there's no such specialty in the Air Force.

I don't think TankerT was serious about that.  Careful with that, Dennis might call you a cynic since all the "uniform talk" actually IMPROVES CAP!!!  ;)  Just kidding Dennis!!! >:D
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SarDragon

Doesn't national take care of that?

Well, they seem to be in charge of the process. As for actually taking care of things, sometime I have my doubts.  :o

Quote from: Guardrail on January 15, 2007, 06:10:59 AMBesides, there's no such specialty in the Air Force.

And that matters how? For as many prospective designs for new bling on here and other forums, there might as well be. It might keep more people off the streets.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: Guardrail on January 15, 2007, 04:58:56 AM
Space/STK may be a good idea as a specialty track for both seniors and cadets.

That's knows as "Aerospace Education".  Remember, specialty tracks aren't just for training, the cover staff duties.

Guardrail

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 15, 2007, 06:16:40 AM

I don't think TankerT was serious about that.  Careful with that, Dennis might call you a cynic since all the "uniform talk" actually IMPROVES CAP!!!  ;)  Just kidding Dennis!!! >:D

Me?  Cynic?  Naw...  I love uniform talk!  Hope Dennis knows that!  <a href="http://plugin.smileycentral.com/http%253A%252F%252Fwww.smileycentral.com%252F%253Fpartner%253DZSzeb008%255FZNxdm824YYUS%2526i%253D29%252F29%255F1%255F9%2526feat%253Dprof/page.html" target="_blank">SmileyCentral.com" border="0 

Guardrail

Quote from: shorning on January 15, 2007, 06:22:33 AM
Quote from: Guardrail on January 15, 2007, 04:58:56 AM
Space/STK may be a good idea as a specialty track for both seniors and cadets.

That's knows as "Aerospace Education".  Remember, specialty tracks aren't just for training, the cover staff duties.

Good point, sir.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Guardrail on January 15, 2007, 06:27:30 AM

Me?  Cynic?  Naw...  I love uniform talk!  Hope Dennis knows that! 

I used to talk "uniform" with the best of them until I realized that all the stuff I was proposing would cause people to spend more money.  Plus, it wasn't worth all the fights and trouble I was getting into.  Sound and fury signifying nothing is what it amounted to.  Then when I posted up just how much it was actually discussed compared to other more "mission related" topics...I got lambasted for my troubles.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Quote from: SarDragon on January 15, 2007, 06:18:34 AMFor as many prospective designs for new bling on here and other forums, there might as well be. It might keep more people off the streets.  ;)
Oh yeah, here comes the DDR money now!  >:D

Don't need a space badge, AEX like LtCol Horning said. Not even worth a clasp on a cadet ribbon. Not sure why we have a Crossfield ribbon AND master AE badge, that was dumb. I don't mind adding or reappropriating a ribbon to motivate cadets to do some above & beyond eagle scout project style AE project, but we don't need another badge for it. Don't we have enough of those stupid things already.

If there isn't a good reason, you shouldn't just do stuff. The uniform changes I've recommended have been limited, focused, & with a list of reasons behind them (mainly embroidered tech badges, standardized wear policy, improved design - all related to professional image & morale/retention). You can go along with that or not, but that's the context under which I siad the stuff.

Far as the specialty tracks go, the biggest thing I think we could do to make an improvement there is to go to a four level track w/ no badge at the bottom. That gives incentive to get past that apprentice level & on to a newly apportioned tech level that actually denotes the ability to do that job w/o supervision at the Sq level. The other part was to get specialty track managers at the Wg level (seperate from the guy doing that job for the Wg) who coordinate the training of officers in the track at subordinate units.

arajca

Quote from: Jolt on January 15, 2007, 04:54:20 AM
I don't understand what the hold up is for the HSO track.  Is there a problem regarding treatment given during CAP activities?
To ensure CAP and the members are not being put in jeopardy of legal action, the HSO track needs to be vetted by the CAP and USAF legal folks. As for treatment during CAP activities, there shouldn't be any, unless it is for a life threatening injury. CAP Health Services personnel are not authorized to give routine medical care while on a CAP activity as a CAP member. Everyone knows it happens and I think that is one of the hold-ups with the legal folks.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: arajca on January 15, 2007, 04:44:52 AM
IT and HSO tracks are currently in development. I think the IT track is closer to being launched due to the legal issues surrounding the HSO track. An instructor track is being discussed at Maxwell.

HSO?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

MIKE

Mike Johnston

ZigZag911

Quote from: DNall on January 15, 2007, 10:16:33 AM
The other part was to get specialty track managers at the Wg level (seperate from the guy doing that job for the Wg) who coordinate the training of officers in the track at subordinate units.

This is  a great idea!