The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on March 18, 2007, 01:44:22 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 18, 2007, 02:57:22 AM
Flightsuit - Right shoulder in optional space

Blue utilities - Right shoulder in optional space

Negative.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Table 6-4.10 Organizational (Unit)Patch embroidered centered on the lower portion of the right breast pocket of BDU or field uniform shirt or BDU or dark blue field jacket between left and right edges and bottom of flap and pocket. (See note 2.) Patch must be approved by wing commander

Negatory on your negative Mike, time to get the spectacles checked.

He's right, and was referring to the "Dark blue, non-nomex flight suit" by using it's official term, which is Dark Blue Utility Uniform. (minus mentioning the dark part)

He covered the BDU/BBDUs above. 

MIKE

I know what he meant, and I checked the manual while posting.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 4-5.5. Optional Shoulder Patch: Worn centered 1/2 inch below shoulder seam on right sleeve. Member
may choose one of the authorized patches for the right shoulder (see Chapter 6)
, may be wing,
region or National shoulder patch.

Emphasis added, with emphasis added.
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

Quote from: MIKE on March 18, 2007, 03:10:17 PM
I know what he meant, and I checked the manual while posting.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 Figure 4-5.5. Optional Shoulder Patch: Worn centered 1/2 inch below shoulder seam on right sleeve. Member
may choose one of the authorized patches for the right shoulder (see Chapter 6)
, may be wing,
region or National shoulder patch.

Emphasis added, with emphasis added.

Who am I to debate the Reg Slinger? :D
In reference to the above, 8. mentions that Any deviations to the above must be approved by the region commander concerned., thus, it may be plausible that a unit patch may be worn.

Time to ask the CAP Magic 8-ball knowledgebase  ::)

MIKE

Quote from: tedda on March 18, 2007, 03:25:06 PM
In reference to the above, 8. mentions that Any deviations to the above must be approved by the region commander concerned., thus, it may be plausible that a unit patch may be worn.

Possibly, but only on the blue Nomex bag... and only applicable to members of said region.
Mike Johnston

pixelwonk

I actually did ask the Knowledgebase, so I'm eager to hear what the semi-official position is.   :D

RiverAux

speaking of the knowledgebase, I was poking around in there and found a statement that unit patches are supposed to be sent to the CAP National Historian after approval for inclusion in the historical collection.... Have you guys been doing that? 

ddelaney103

Quote from: Jolt on March 18, 2007, 04:51:44 AM
If I understand correctly, the reason that the AF doesn't wear subdued patches on their flight suits is because they sanitize their uniforms before they go out to the planes.

You are correct - since it's not required to wear a uniform with name and patches to comply with LOAC, there's no sense giving away information above and beyond "name, grade serial number and date of birth."

jason.pennington

I designed this patch for our squadron in Huron, CA.  While I admit it is a simple patch, I would appreciate any suggestions for revisions in the future.  The colors were selected because the school we are chartered by, have burgundy, black, and white as their school colors. 

LtCol White

If you change the shape to the normal USAF SQ design (disc with tabs at top and bottom) you can use all these colors and information easily.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on March 18, 2007, 07:10:29 PM
speaking of the knowledgebase, I was poking around in there and found a statement that unit patches are supposed to be sent to the CAP National Historian after approval for inclusion in the historical collection.... Have you guys been doing that? 

I got a friendly letter the other day on ours, since we've got coins due shortly, haven't sent him anything, yet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: jason.pennington on April 01, 2007, 05:21:01 PM
I designed this patch for our squadron in Huron, CA.  While I admit it is a simple patch, I would appreciate any suggestions for revisions in the future.  The colors were selected because the school we are chartered by, have burgundy, black, and white as their school colors. 

Is this actually in use?  Its more of a BSA-type shoulder patch than a military-type unit insignia, and the colors
are not compliant with the Heraldry rules.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eagle400

Here's a favorite of mine:

Simi Valley Challenger Composite Squadron 1986.

Sorry the picture of the squadron seal is so fuzzy.  I'll try to get a better one on here.  A better one can be found in the background of this site: http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/9986/

jason.pennington

We haven't ordered any yet.  But, yes, it is the design we are going with now.  It is more the shape of California's sheriff dept's patches than a BSA council patch.  But I get your point.  I wanted it to be unique.  So far there is no regs on how the patch should look and everyone is using the basic AF shield type design.

Thanks for the reply on the disk and tabs.  I will look at that.

DNall

^ No regs for the most part (some wings have supplements on the issue), but there is a cultural influce to do it right.

Eclipse

Quote from: DNall on April 02, 2007, 01:45:31 AM
^ No regs for the most part (some wings have supplements on the issue), but there is a cultural influce to do it right.

Yes, and in any case the Wing CC has to approve, and they are increasingly aware of the rules...

"That Others May Zoom"

jason.pennington

Check this design out.  I think it looks good!  It also resembles other AF patches in shape.  As far as concepts go, I used the burgundy (school color) as the background.  Since we are the first school program unit in California, I used a lamp on top of books to symbolize education.  The CAP shield is atop the lamp, and our number is on the patch.

Any other ideas?  THanks for your suggestions so far.

arajca

Quote from: jason.pennington on April 02, 2007, 03:42:56 AM
Check this design out.  I think it looks good!  It also resembles other AF patches in shape.  As far as concepts go, I used the burgundy (school color) as the background.  Since we are the first school program unit in California, I used a lamp on top of books to symbolize education.  The CAP shield is atop the lamp, and our number is on the patch.

Following AF rules, units do not use the modified heater shield (aka Air Force shield). Units use a disk with a scroll below with the unit name/number and (optional) a scroll above with a unit motto. Only groups and higher use the shield.
I'd move the unit number to the scroll (HURON CADET SQDN CA-801). Moving the number to the scroll allows for larger images in the body.
You have alot of detail that will get lost when it is embriodered. Simplify your graphics.

LtCol White

Quote from: jason.pennington on April 02, 2007, 03:42:56 AM

The shield is reserved for Command levels in the USAF. SQ's use the disc with the tabs above and below. if you go to www.af.mil the click on the ART tab, you'll see many examples of SQ patches and Command patches. I think you'll find this shape will work better for you.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Eclipse

I know you like the burgandy, but the field should be blue...

I do like the idea of the books.  What about a Cessna on top of the books instead of the lamp?

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Eclipse, burgundy is fine for the background since it does related strongly to the basis for the unit and was not selected just 'because'. Even AF units use colors other than blue for the background on their patches.

Make the scroll(s) blue with gold/yellow lettering.