Main Menu

ABUs

Started by MadGrak, September 15, 2011, 05:14:12 AM

Honor Guardsman

abdsp51

Майор Хаткевич

That was the nat.conference ABU. Nothing official yet.

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 14, 2013, 09:26:21 PM
Quote from: Honor Guardsman on September 14, 2013, 09:23:54 PM
From RCLS

Again cite otherwise is hearsay.

Seriously. That rumor doesn't even match the publicly available briefing on proposed changes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

The only part I've heard from that via Wing CC is that the flag patch is supposed to go away.  The premise behind the idea is that it will bring us more in line with the AF since they don't wear the flag patch on their field uniform. 

We should see it in the new 39-1 supposedly coming out in time for Christmas. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

ColonelJack

Quote from: Angus on September 19, 2013, 08:49:10 PM
... the new 39-1 supposedly coming out in time for Christmas.

Which year?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Angus

Quote from: ColonelJack on September 20, 2013, 10:02:45 AM
Quote from: Angus on September 19, 2013, 08:49:10 PM
... the new 39-1 supposedly coming out in time for Christmas.

Which year?

Jack

He said this Christmas, but as he's heard it before it was amended with a "hopefully"
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

NIN

The holdup will be the graphics.

Which are being worked on, but it takes time to get right.

But I know they want to get that right, unlike the last manual.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Майор Хаткевич

Two ribbon racks put together, upside down? :)

Panache

At our meeting last night, the CC passed along some info from Wing about uniform revisions.  Most of what was passed down has already been mentioned here (ABU's, new 39-1 is December, holdup on new 39-1 is pictures, the exact shade of blue of tapes/grade is still be finalized but will probably be navy, patches will be optional on ABU outfit, no US flag on ABU).  I bring this us because this is the first "official" confirmation we've gotten about this from the chain of command.

abdsp51

Quote from: Panache on October 02, 2013, 03:53:25 PM
At our meeting last night, the CC passed along some info from Wing about uniform revisions.  Most of what was passed down has already been mentioned here (ABU's, new 39-1 is December, holdup on new 39-1 is pictures, the exact shade of blue of tapes/grade is still be finalized but will probably be navy, patches will be optional on ABU outfit, no US flag on ABU).  I bring this us because this is the first "official" confirmation we've gotten about this from the chain of command.

Patches already are optionial outside of grade, tapes and the flag, unless there is an approved supplement.

NIN

Quote from: abdsp51 on October 02, 2013, 04:02:20 PM

Patches already are optionial outside of grade, tapes and the flag, unless there is an approved supplement.

Patches may be optional for *some* things.

If your wing has a wing patch, and your wing commander has said "We wear wing patches on our utilities in this wing.." its not precisely "optional."

C/Amn Smith can't say "Sir, 39-1 says wing patches are optional, so I've opted out!"  8)

Likewise, if your unit has a patch and its been approved thru channels, then while its technically "optional" (as in "not all units must have a patch"), if your unit has said "We have a patch and its worn here.." then its not really "optional."

If you have attended an NCSA then you're authorized to wear or not wear your NCSA's patch at your option. Thats more like truly "optional" at the individual level.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on October 02, 2013, 07:07:50 PM
If your wing has a wing patch, and your wing commander has said "We wear wing patches on our utilities in this wing.." its not precisely "optional."

C/Amn Smith can't say "Sir, 39-1 says wing patches are optional, so I've opted out!"  8)

Likewise, if your unit has a patch and its been approved thru channels, then while its technically "optional" (as in "not all units must have a patch"), if your unit has said "We have a patch and its worn here.." then its not really "optional."

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree on both of the above.  if either of those echelons wants to make the regulations stronger, there is a
process for that, supplement, OI, etc.  "Because I said so..." doesn't fly in the face of regulations which restrict a given authority to a higher level.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2013, 07:29:08 PM

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree on both of the above.  if either of those echelons wants to make the regulations stronger, there is a
process for that, supplement, OI, etc.  "Because I said so..." doesn't fly in the face of regulations which restrict a given authority to a higher level.
OI won't cut it.

OIs only apply to the unit involved.  A Wing OI doesn't apply to anyone other than the -001 unit.  Only supplements apply to subordinate units.

Eclipse

I meant the OI for a unit patch, though I'm not sure that would be procedurally correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

Angus

At the meeting I was at our Wing CC said ABU's weren't even requested yet. However I had heard something last year at RSC from people who were on the committee.   But we'll just have to wait and watch for if and when a new 39-1 comes out. 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Walkman

Quote from: Angus on October 02, 2013, 08:13:07 PM
At the meeting I was at our Wing CC said ABU's weren't even requested yet. However I had heard something last year at RSC from people who were on the committee.   But we'll just have to wait and watch for if and when a new 39-1 comes out.

You may have missed this earlier thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=17800.0

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 02, 2013, 07:29:08 PM

I suppose I mean that the "wing patches are worn in this wing" would be appropriately documented and authorized via supplement, not just the wing commander drolly waving his hand and saying "Make it so, Number One."

Same with the squadron.

But the definition of "optional" in terms of a wing or unit patch is "at the unit's option," not the individual's option.

IOW, the wing decides "OK, yeah, we're not getting rid of wing patches on BDUs" and has a duly promulgated & authorized supplement that says that. 

That way, C/SMSgt VentureCrew doesn't go "Oh, wing patches are optional per 39-1, so let me wear my Venturing patch there instead." (yes, I have the picture of this one) 

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Private Investigator

Quote from: NIN on October 02, 2013, 07:07:50 PMIf your wing has a wing patch, and your wing commander has said "We wear wing patches on our utilities in this wing.." its not precisely "optional."

#1, actually all Wings have a Wing patch.

#2, not all Squadrons or Groups have a patch. But Units that do have a Unit patch, I do not recall any that has made the Unit patch a mandatory uniform item.

NIN

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 03, 2013, 08:11:53 AM
Quote from: NIN on October 02, 2013, 07:07:50 PMIf your wing has a wing patch, and your wing commander has said "We wear wing patches on our utilities in this wing.." its not precisely "optional."

#1, actually all Wings have a Wing patch.

#2, not all Squadrons or Groups have a patch. But Units that do have a Unit patch, I do not recall any that has made the Unit patch a mandatory uniform item.

As far as I know, my squadron's unit patch is a part of our uniform.  Its not like "here, you can wear this, or not wear this, whatever you feel like this week, dude."

At least, thats the way the squadron's operating instructions were written back when we first got the unit patch approved by wing.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP