Getting equipment for ground teams

Started by flyguy06, January 20, 2006, 09:48:08 AM

flyguy06

One of the reasons we dont have a ground team in my squadron is beause of cost. How do you guys afford all the individual GT equipment? My cadets dont have much money. Equipment can go into he hundreds of dollars. What are some ways of getting each cadet the funds? Thanks

Pylon

A solution you may find works pretty well is:

Creative fundraising and/or grant applications + squadron owned equipment signed out to members.

Good luck!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

arajca

Another possible solution is to ask your wing supply for them.

Let me finish before jumping on me ;D

Each unit should be sending a list of item they would like to have issued to them. Whether you actaully get everything is another story. Make sure the ground team equipment you want is on there and be specific, i.e. don't just say "ground team equipment", say "pistol/web belts, lbe suspenders, canteens with covers" etc. (You don't necessarily need to say how many of each you need as some wings will use that to say "Since you only asked for three pistol belts on your wish list, that's all I can give you. Even though you want ten, you only get three.") Your wing logistics folks should combine all these lists into one and give it to the  State Director. Your SD - who can screen DMRO items for units - uses these lists to determine what to screen. Based on what I have been told by my wing logistics folks, the SD can't screen anything not on the list for their wing and wing supply shouldn't be issuing anything to units that is not on the unit's wish list. In some wings, certain CAP members can also screen DMRO items for their wing.

When you do this, make sure everything you get from wing is tracked, i.e., who got it, when, and what condition is it in. It is a good idea to hold periodic equipment inspections to verfiy the member still has it.

Eclipse

Equipment need not cost a lot of money - most cadets who have ever camped have the bulk of the list already.

For the initial training, a school bag, and less than Seal-Team gear is plenty. Since here in IL we rarely deploy for long periods, I required new GTM's to have the full 72 hour in their possession, (for the task signoff) and know what it is, etc. - but I don't check nametags.

Recent experience has shown we can no longer use the excuse that 72-hour gear is a credit card and a cel phone, but for members who are looking for the training over being a ready asset, I want to get them into the program.  I've probably spent in excess of $1000 on my team gear (incl tents, etc.), and that doesn't include things like a GPS and radios which are cross-specialty or used for other activities as well (thank goodness for the tax break).  But I also have a lot of stuff I never use and didn't go down South for the "big one".  A quick check of Target's camping aisle can get everything but the uniforms and MRE's, and a frugal shopper can get completly geared for under $100.  (That's about two Xbox carts). The clearance days in the fall can be a great way to get stuff dirt cheap.

The understanding is that they could not deploy, even in a SAREx w/o their own gear, and if the IC calls for the full 72, they have to get it or stay home.

I then recommend that as the new trainee progresses, they obtain better equipment as money permits and the see what works best for them.

I prefer new GTM's have their own 24, but if the only choice is shared gear, better that than no participation. In the field you have to have your own set, whether it is yours or borrowed doesn't matter to me.

I also usually prefer new ground assets work towards UDF first - it's much cheaper in terms of gear, but the taskings get new GTM's a good head start.

"That Others May Zoom"

Horn229

When I first started, a lot of my gear came from Walmart, except the first aid kit which was a homemade thing (mom is a nurse). I started looking at Blackhawk Industries gear a few years, then went back to walmart after seeing the prices. The packs I have, are all freebies that I've gotten over the years from Squadrons, and contacts in the military.

For the initial pack, a bookbag and and some stuff from the hunting/camping portion of the walmart store will do just fine. If you spend more than $60, you need to do some more searching around for year. All the 24hr gear can be purchased for cheap if you take the time to look.

If you really want military style packs, look at ebay for a few weeks, you're bound to cache a really good deal with no reserve. And remember, you don't need 72hr gear for GTM 3. A GTM 3 will only be in the field for a maximum of 24hrs, no need to buy the ruck and sleeping bag/tent yet.
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Eclipse

Excellent point on the GT3 equipment. 

I got my LBV on eBay for $25, still had sand in it.  Would be several hundred new.

Also, bear in mind how you might use the gear outside ground team. 

A Y or H harness with a canteen on it can be worn at encampments, Sarex's as base staff, open houses, NCOA's, etc., then up-loaded to carry your 24.  While on the other hand you look silly wearing an LBV in formation at an encampment just to carry your canteen.

In fact at Spring we no longer allow cadets to drag their 24 all over the base.

"That Others May Zoom"