Main Menu

ES Ratings

Started by Cadet Bonnett, June 20, 2005, 10:35:10 PM

Cadet Bonnett

thank you. however i don't know what type of ES rating there are and what they do.
Could you tell me.
Cadet A1C Christin Bonnett
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

El Campamento del Ala de NH aquí yo vengo.

Schmidty06

Ok, do you want to be a Ground Team Member, an Urban Direction Finding Team member, a Flight Line Marshaller, Mission Staff Assistant or a Mission Radio Operator (pretty much all the qualifications that a cadet can have)?  Ground Teams need a lot of gear, and Mission Staff Assistants need next to none.  It all depends on what you're doing.

Pylon

Quote from: Schmidty06 on June 20, 2005, 11:16:07 PM
Ok, do you want to be a Ground Team Member, an Urban Direction Finding Team member, a Flight Line Marshaller, Mission Staff Assistant or a Mission Radio Operator (pretty much all the qualifications that a cadet can have)?  Ground Teams need a lot of gear, and Mission Staff Assistants need next to none.  It all depends on what you're doing.

Well, those are pretty much the ones cadets under 18 can have.  Cadets over 18 can participate a lot more.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Schmidty06

This is true, but I presented the greater majority of what cadets both above and below the age of 18 participate in, anyway.

Pylon

Quote from: Schmidty06 on June 20, 2005, 11:29:07 PM
This is true, but I presented the greater majority of what cadets both above and below the age of 18 participate in, anyway.

Cadets over 18 can be members of aircrews, too.  That's a pretty large portion left out.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Schmidty06

Meh, ok.  I myself will become GTL and GBD qualified shortly after I become 18.

whatevah

you mean after you do all the tasks after you turn 18, right?  you're not supposed to do the tasks until you've turned 18, that's why "age check" is at the very top of the SQTR.
Jerry Horn
CAPTalk Co-Admin

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Schmidty06 on June 20, 2005, 11:16:07 PM
Ok, do you want to be a Ground Team Member, an Urban Direction Finding Team member, a Flight Line Marshaller, Mission Staff Assistant or a Mission Radio Operator (pretty much all the qualifications that a cadet can have)? Ground Teams need a lot of gear, and Mission Staff Assistants need next to none. It all depends on what you're doing.

I want to be a mission staff assistant. could that help me out in cap though. and what do they do.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

arajca

One of the requirements for MSA is ICS 200 Basic Incident Command System. You can find an online correspondence course at FEMA at http://www.training.fema.gov/emiweb/IS/. There are numerous other Emergency Management courses available there as well.

The courses you'd need to take there are:
IS-100 Introduction to Incident Command System
IS-200 Basic Incident Command System

I recommend also taking:
IS-195 Basic Incident Command System (similar to IS-200, but different materials)
IS-700 National Incident Management System (NIMS)
IS-800 National Response Plan (NRP), an Introduction

Altogether, these courses should take you about 30 - 40 hours. If you sign up for one, you have six months to complete it. When you finish the course and pass the test, FEMA sends you a nice little certificate. Give a copy of this to your ES officer to get credit for completing the ICS training.

Pace

Why IS-100?  We get credit for ICS-100 from CAPT 116 Part  2.  As for ICS 200, it only took me about 2-3 hours.

Carl, I hate to say it to you, but Lt Horn is correct.  Since "age check" is one of the prerequisites for GTL and GBD, you should not be able to get credit for those tasks until you're 18 (UNLESS they transfer from an SQTR for a specialty that you can earn before you're 18).  To my knowledge, though, a lot of the tasks for GTL transfer from the various GTM ratings.
Lt Col, CAP

SarDragon

GTM tasks are GTM tasks, and GTL tasks are GTL tasks. The system has changed. You gotta be a current GTM to be a GTL now. Same for Scanner -> Observer. No common tasks any more.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Schmidty06

I did put a "shortly after" clause in my post.  Meaning, it won't happen immediately.

Cadet Bonnett

Quote from: Schmidty06 on June 21, 2005, 11:16:17 PM
I did put a "shortly after" clause in my post.  Meaning, it won't happen immediately.
Who exactly are you talking too.
Registered Peer Mediator
SET, GES Certified
NH Wing

Pace

Quote from: SarDragon on June 21, 2005, 10:27:40 PM
GTM tasks are GTM tasks, and GTL tasks are GTL tasks. The system has changed. You gotta be a current GTM to be a GTL now. Same for Scanner -> Observer. No common tasks any more.

I earned my GTL rating under the old 101T system so I went back and checked the new SQTRs.  Of the 40 tasks required for GTL (not including age check, GES, GTM3, and CAPT 117), 28 transfer from other ratings that cadets under 18 can earn.  There are 7 from UDF, 2 from GTM3, 10 from GTM2, and 9 from GTM1.  The other 12 tasks are unique to GTL.  Task P-0101 and BCUT are the only two things that transfer to GBD.
Lt Col, CAP

Schmidty06

What I've been doing is I've been training on the GTL tasks, but not getting them signed off yet.  When I turn 18, however, I'll be rocking on a SAREX to get them signed off. 

Matt

Ok, I've just been gandering through some of the threads, and kinda stumbled on this....  Where does it say that you cannot be signed off for a task because of age?  Other then the age req' (i.e. Member Age Check (18), Member Age Check (21)), I don't recall anything saying that you cannot complete tasks.  You cannot be SQRT-T (101T) in GTL until you're 18, and you cannot complete missions until you have the Trainee status, but why can you not get tasks completed.

What you're inferring is that you're going to aim to be pencil-whipped through, and that's worse yet.  Please, let me know if I'm missing something here.

Matt
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

Pace

Take a step back and listen to what you just said:

1) You cannot be issued a GTL SQTR (officially train be to be GTL) until you're 18.

2) Where does it say that you cannot be signed off for a task because of age.

If you cannot use a GTL SQTR until you're 18, then how exactly do you plan to get anything signed off on that SQTR?  Plus each SQTR has a section called either "prerequisites" or "trainee."  A member must meet all criteria in this section to be able to complete for credit any of the tasks on that SQTR.  In the case of GTL, one of the "trainee" requirements is an age check.  If, however, you complete a task in a specialty you can train in and that task also happens to be on a rating you cannot currently train in, the task completion will transfer...unless they changed MIMS again.

Clear as mud?
Lt Col, CAP

Matt

Ok, lets try to get sand this time...

So, what you're aiming at is that although someone may advance their knowledge, they cannot record it because they cannot be issued a SQTR?  Because looking at the training req' for anything you can work on any task, you just cannot be issued a trainee status or qualified, but you should be allowed to have certain tasks signed off regardless of your age or status?

Pace

OK, I think I see where you're going with this.  You're saying that anyone should be able to open up a task guide, learn the skills, and then demonstrate mastery of that task to a skills evaluator for credit.  OK, that's fine.  Sounds great.  Now, here's the problem: Where are you going to document completion of that task if it only occurs on an SQTR that you are not eligible to train in, for whatever reason?  If you do not have the prerequisites/trainee status, point blank you cannot train for that rating.  Training in that rating includes all tasks listed on the SQTR; therefore, you are not eligible to train for the tasks on that SQTR.

Again, the only way you can get credit for a task for a rating you are not eligible to train for is if you get credit for it from another rating that you are eligible to train in.  As far as I can tell, this feature is still integrated into MIMS.

You're still more than welcome to advance your knowledge so that when you become eligible to train for the rating, you will be able to quickly demonstrate your knowledge and skills to an evaluator for credit.
Lt Col, CAP

Matt

But the SQTR is not the master record for tasks - the CAPF 114 contains them, but they are namely recorded on: CAPF 112 and CAPF 113, whichever is more useful.  If you're going paperless, my apologies it's been forever since I've attempted to use MIMS (so unfriendly), the WMU allows you, I believe to record generalized sign-offs, I haven't looked into it that far, I don't have wing and more importantly, unit approval for SET.

On the old MIMS System, I believe that you can also enter generalized tasks, unassociated with quals, but please don't quote me on that, it's been forever since I've looked at MIMS.