Brand new, NTC-approved, inexpensive handheld radios!

Started by JoeTomasone, April 01, 2013, 02:05:25 PM

Panache

Quote from: brent.teal on November 25, 2014, 03:33:09 PM
In PA we have comm kits containing, issued to units, that contain 10 or so ISR's.  They are in a aluminum tool case with foam padding and cut outs.  I'm not sure if thats a pa thing or more broadly implemented.

They're also not real ISRs (at least not the ones we have).  They're off-the-shelf FRS/GMRS radios, which you can't use on actual missions.

brent.teal

Hmm, lurs are actual icom's however to your point I never read the model number so I dont' know for sure.  I am fairly certain they are since we've used them at summer hawk this past year.  I'll have to take a closer look. 
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

Eclipse

Quote from: Panache on November 28, 2014, 09:15:45 AMThey're off-the-shelf FRS/GMRS radios, which you can't use on actual missions.

And of course NO ONE would use the GMRS frequencies without the proper licenses.

(Says someone who actually paid the $75).

"That Others May Zoom"

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2014, 10:24:30 PM
Quote from: Panache on November 28, 2014, 09:15:45 AMThey're off-the-shelf FRS/GMRS radios, which you can't use on actual missions.

And of course NO ONE would use the GMRS frequencies without the proper licenses.

(Says someone who actually paid the $75).

I actually had to correct another squadron's Comm officer because they had everybody's radios set to a GMRS frequency during an airshow.

There was talk of removing the licensing requirement for GMRS, but it seems to be held up in bureaucratic heck right now.

brent.teal

Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.