Main Menu

LTC William F. Slack

Started by Ed DeSocio, March 11, 2019, 06:45:52 PM

Ed DeSocio

William F. Slack, 70, of Mattydale passed peacefully on Thursday. He was a graduate of St. John the Evangelist High School, a communicant of St. John the Baptist/Holy Trinity Church, where he formerly assisted as a Funeral Server. William proudly served as a Sergeant in the U.S. Air Force; he was a volunteer member of the NY Wing Civil Air Patrol for 50 years serving as a Unit Squadron Commander and ultimately serving on the NY Wing Inspector General Staff with the rank of Lt. Colonel; he was a life member of the Air Force Association and a lifetime member of Mattydale V.F.W Post 1832. He also served as a member of the Town of Salina Planning Board. He was employed as a Design Draftsman for Kilian Manufacturing for more than 30 years. William was predeceased by his parents, S. George and Nora Slack; his brother, Robert Slack; two sisters, Jeanne Phillips and Margaret Vogt. Survivors include his high school sweetheart and wife of 50 years, the former Suzanne Humberstone; his daughters, Shawn (Guy) Babcock of Syracuse, Kathy (Kevin Fairbanks) LaBeef of North Syracuse, and Candy Hammond of Rye Brook, N.Y.; four grandchildren, Courtney, Joshua, Sarah and Caden; two great -grandchildren, Emma and Brandtly, and several nieces, nephews and cousins.
Calling hours will be Monday 4p.m to 7p.m. at the Carter Funeral Home, 1604 Grant Blvd, Syracuse. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated Tuesday 10a.m. at St. John the Baptist / Holy Trinity Church. Contributions may be made to National Kidney Foundation. Online
condolences at CarterFuneralHome.com.
http://obits.syracuse.com/obituaries/syracuse/obituary.aspx?n=william-f-slack&pid=186605948&fhid=27419
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/members/cap-national-hq/member-news/final-salute----december-2017

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594

ironputts

March, 2019

Lt. Col. William F. Slack
New York Wing

Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

ProdigalJim

Hey Ed, thanks for posting this. Sad to see. He was my first CC when I was a skinny, fuzzy-haired cadet.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Ed DeSocio

Yep, he was a terrific squadron commander and friend.  I owe much of my success as a cadet and squadron commander to his leadership, mentorship and example.  I was fortunate to see him and Sue in late 2017. 

Ed DeSocio
Spaatz #594