Color Guard Preparedness

Started by Greg, February 08, 2005, 03:24:26 AM

Greg

As I gather my stuff from last year's Color Guard and try to organize this next year's team, I thought of several questions...

Who trains your squadron's Color Guard?
When do you usually start forming a team?
Do you have an operational Color Guard, but don't compete?
Typically how much experience does your Color Guard have, and what are the cadets' grades?
On an average, how many non-competition functions does your Color Guard perform at, and what types of functions are they?

And last, but not least...........Do you think that one set of competitions a year (the exact number of competitions your team attends depends upon which level they are eliminated) isn't enough, and would you support the idea of having Invitational Color Guard competitions?
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

baronet68

Quote from: Greg on February 08, 2005, 03:24:26 AM
As I gather my stuff from last year's Color Guard and try to organize this next year's team, I thought of several questions...

Other cadets, with input from active duty types when possible.

Whenever we can get enough people and equipment together at the same time.  Our biggest issue has been equipment.

Not currently.

Typically how much experience does your Color Guard have, and what are the cadets' grades?
N/A  Last color guard we had, the average grade was C/A1C.

On an average, how many non-competition functions does your Color Guard perform at, and what types of functions are they?
Past year, one parade.

And last, but not least...........Do you think that one set of competitions a year (the exact number of competitions your team attends depends upon which level they are eliminated) isn't enough, and would you support the idea of having Invitational Color Guard competitions?
Invitational competitions are a great way to show that CAP is larger than just the weekly meetings.  Also, it serves as a social arena and better prepares teams for the annual competition.  I'd love to see something like that done in WAWG.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager

Pylon

I really like the idea of hosting an Invitational color guard (or other) competition.  It is an excellent way to practice, an excellent way to network, and can be a great deal of fun for all involved.  If someone in my area wanted to host an invitational color guard tournament, I would certainly be game to help facilitate it.

My home unit is currently training a color guard and hopes to submit them to this coming year's competition, but it will be the first time in a while that they have done so.  The average team comprises mostly of Cadet NCOs and SNCOs. 

A second unit in my Group is also currently training cadets to become a color guard, but are in the very beginning stages.  They have goals of submitting them to competitions, but it may take a year before they are ready to compete.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

Quote from: Pylon on February 09, 2005, 07:17:38 AMMy home unit is currently training a color guard and hopes to submit them to this coming year's competition, but it will be the first time in a while that they have done so.

We were in the Wing color guard competition two years ago.  The only reason we didn't last year is because we only got 10 days advance notice that they were having a competition.

Honestly, it looks like it'll be that way again this year.  No news for months, then out of the blue, a competition.  Bleh.

Schmidty06

Right now only our cadet staff wants to actually devote time to a color guard, and when we do have a color guard, we usually only use it for our own squadron's activities and for any public presentations that are requested around the area.

Pylon

Quote from: Schmidty06 on February 15, 2005, 05:47:33 AM
Right now only our cadet staff wants to actually devote time to a color guard, and when we do have a color guard, we usually only use it for our own squadron's activities and for any public presentations that are requested around the area.

Doing color guard for squadron activities and local area presentations is just as much in the spirit of the program as competition, if not more so.  Competition is meant to measure your preparedness for actual performances.   So it's certainly very worthwhile to do color guard for the benefit of doing color guard; competition isn't a requirement and even frees you from some requirements.

Schmidty06

Definately so.  It is more of an operational CG than anything else.  If anything else, it helps get our name out there to the community.  Also, it gives us a community outreach kind of platform from which to work from.

The Admiral

Quote from: Greg

We got cadets from other squadrons as well as the AF Honor Guard at the nearest base.

ASAP!  ;D

We do have a color guard, and we do compete.

Two competitions and about 5 parades, also other ceremonial functions such as basketball & football games.  My team has a C/SSgt (me), two C/SrA (rifle & unit flag), and two C/A1Cs (rifle & alternate).

About 5 a year, 2 parades and 3 or 4 games, funerals, and state functions.

And last, but not least...........Do you think that one set of competitions a year isn't enough, and would you support the idea of having Invitational Color Guard competitions?
Absolutely!  It is great to get out and participate and get to know new people.  For my team, we just do two competitions and that's all.  We did do a competition with the JROTCs in the state...and that was fun.

Great questions!

-Steven
Cross into the Blue!

ClarksburgKnight

Who trains your squadron's Color Guard?  I do - I've been involved with color guard since 1998.

When do you usually start forming a team?  It's a year-round thing.  Anyone who wants to join is not shot down.  Even if I currently have a team, we will train anyone who's willing, to someday take their place or to have as alternates.

Do you have an operational Color Guard, but don't compete?  No, we have a team that competes.

Typically how much experience does your Color Guard have, and what are the cadets' grades? Well last year was the first time this squadron has really tried color guard.  The team consisted of brand new cadets who just got their first stripe.  They placed 3rd at wing.  This year's team had 1 airman, 1 tech sgt, and 3 A1C's.  And they took a first place tie at wing.

On an average, how many non-competition functions does your Color Guard perform at, and what types of functions are they?  None at the moment.  Hard to get gigs in WV!

And last, but not least...........Do you think that one set of competitions a year (the exact number of competitions your team attends depends upon which level they are eliminated) isn't enough, and would you support the idea of having Invitational Color Guard competitions?   I would definitely support more competitions.

Greg

Quote from: ClarksburgKnight on February 21, 2005, 08:41:32 PM
On an average, how many non-competition functions does your Color Guard perform at, and what types of functions are they?  None at the moment.  Hard to get gigs in WV!

C/Maj Logan?

ClarksburgKnight

Nope, not C/Maj Logan.  This is Danielle DeAngelo, originally from the NJ Wing.  I've talked to you before.  who is cadet logan though?

Pylon

Quote from: ClarksburgKnight on May 17, 2005, 04:07:36 PM
Nope, not C/Maj Logan.  This is Danielle DeAngelo, originally from the NJ Wing.  I've talked to you before.  who is cadet logan though?

Hey Danielle!  :)

I believe now "SM" Logan is a frequenter on the cadetstuff boards.

elkorona

Who trains your squadron's Color Guard?  Train and support team, usually 4 people right now, I am the trainer. 

When do you usually start forming a team?  I don't know, C/CC came up to me and told me we are forming it, so I guess now.

Do you have an operational Color Guard, but don't compete?  No, we compete

Typically how much experience does your Color Guard have, and what are the cadets' grades?  Don't know, no one tells the Diet Colonel crap

On an average, how many non-competition functions does your Color Guard perform at, and what types of functions are they?  No idea...

Yea, I know for CAP we aren't that prepared in that section and its hard for me to do anything because I chose a squadron not 45min away from my home in Arizona.  Its kind of hard to commute all that time especially when school begins at Embry-Riddle and my job and being Color Guard Commander for ROTC.  It's definatly going to be tough.
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

Greg

C/Maj (Now a SM) Logan is a guy active on CadetStuff from West Virginia........and yes, I remember you.

elkorona

Quote from: Greg on May 17, 2005, 09:45:46 PM

C/Maj (Now a SM) Logan is a guy active on CadetStuff from West Virginia........and yes, I remember you.

As do I...As does 1st Lt Korona
Lt Col Elliott Korona, CAP
Deputy Director, Civic Leadership Academy

AlaskanCadet

Well. This is an exciting topic Color Guard is my heart and Soul!
I train my squadron.
We are not going to the wing comp this year. Will next year. Practice begins in April-May until Comp. I wish that Civil Air Patrol would do more CG's, my JROTC unit did over 70 last year!

As for the idea of INVITATIONAL CG COMPS this is an OUTSTANDING IDEA
I will immediately reccomend this idea to my wing ASAP!
Good Idea
C/TSgt Bryant

Alaska CAP Rules :)

Maj Ballard

Who trains your squadron's Color Guard? Former competition team members. Currently we have one coach who is a 2x national champion.

When do you usually start forming a team? We have a team year round. They start practice in earnest the summer before comp (3-4 x a month).

Do you have an operational Color Guard, but don't compete? We do both.

Typically how much experience does your Color Guard have, and what are the cadets' grades? Our current team (Wing champs) are two C/SrA, one C/TSgt and one C/SMSgt.

On an average, how many non-competition functions does your Color Guard perform at, and what types of functions are they? Probably 10 a year. We do parades, church presentations, civic club meetings, etc.

Would you support the idea of having Invitational Color Guard competitions? Sure. Sounds fun.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP