CAP Charter School

Started by RiverAux, January 31, 2008, 04:39:43 PM

RiverAux

It looks like PA Wing is starting its own charter school in Philadelphia: http://www.pawingcap.com/charterschool.php

Is this getting a little too involved?  Is it CAP's job to provide education on non-AE subjects? 

SSgt Rudin

How would that work? It would have enough students to be it's own group. With more than multiple squadrons, but then how do you work out the charters? or do you have 1 squadron with 50+ flights? What if a cadet decides to leave the program in the middle of a semester? I don't see this being a good idea...
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

RiverAux

Well, they don't say whether you'd be required to be in CAP to go to the school, and since charter schools are public schools I don't think you could.  I suspect that you would be offered the choice to participate in CAP activities as a separate option. 

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: RiverAux on January 31, 2008, 07:29:15 PM
Well, they don't say whether you'd be required to be in CAP to go to the school, and since charter schools are public schools I don't think you could.  I suspect that you would be offered the choice to participate in CAP activities as a separate option. 

I guess Charter Schools are different in PA than FL. Here charter schools are Public
"Private" Schools. It does not cost the student anything to go, but the school it's self is owned and operated by a private company that recieves some funding from the school board (however the cafeteria is run and staffed by the county). But the building is owned by the "owner" of the school not the county, and none of the teachers are county employees, they work for whom ever owns the school. And they have strict admission and retention policies, and under that I would say that "yes" they could require you be a member of CAP to be a student of the school.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

RiverAux

I think they're probably the same in that respect.  But, as a public school I don't think that they could require you to join a private non-profit organization and pay membership dues, etc. 

RiverAux

Some interesting things from the Philadelphia Charter school web page http://webgui.phila.k12.pa.us/offices/c/charter_schools FAQ:
QuoteWho is responsible for the actions of a charter school and its employees the charter school or the School District of Philadelphia?
As an independent, publicly funded school, each charter school has its own Board of Trustees. According to the charter law (Act 22 of 1997), the school is a non-profit, non-sectarian corporation and is "solely liable for any and all damages of any kind resulting from any legal challenges involving operation of a charter school."

Matt

Well, here's another one. http://wisconsinairacademy.com/

He has set one up in FL, now, we're having one open by June.
<a href=mailto:mkopp@ncr.cap.gov> Matthew Kopp</a>, Maj, CAP
Director of Information Technology
<a href=https://www.ncrcap.us.org> North Central Region</a>

RiverAux

By the way, I don't think there is anything wrong with having a CAP unit associated with a charter school, but in PA it appears that CAP is actually running the school itself - which is a whole different story. 

FW

PAWG presented their charter school application last year to the school district.  It was rejected.  I do not think the application will be resubmitted.  As of this date, there is no CAP Charter School in PA.

RiverAux

Says it is opening this fall....

mikeylikey

Quote from: RiverAux on February 02, 2008, 10:34:34 PM

General Colgan here has not been too quick on updating the Wing Website, something to do with how no one in PAWG wants to help him out, and the Wing Commander has decided to be "really hands off" on everything CAP related.
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on February 02, 2008, 10:34:34 PM

I have no idea what is going on with that.  Last I was told, those were the date for it, so that is what remains on the site.