Merit/Demerit system

Started by thefischNX01, January 25, 2008, 04:09:05 AM

thefischNX01

My C/XO recently produced a proposal for the problem that would add a written merit/demerit system in place at the squadron.  Although details still need to be worked out, here is basically what we have in place: Violations of the Cadet Honor Code would be an automatic demerit, other infractions would result in a warning.  Three warnings within six months results in a demerit.  Three demerits in the same results in demotion.  Five demerits is a 2B.  There would be a form outlining the infraction, signed by the accused cadet, the DCC and the Squadron Commander.  The cadet in question would have the opportunity to appeal any of the above within thirty days of the date of the demerit being filed. 

I cannot find anything within the regs that prohibit this (yet).  Has anyone tried this or a similar system at their squadron?  what was the effect?  Should I not even consider this?
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

IceNine

Where is the Merit part?

All I see is a huge plan to demotivate your people or at the very least make them do just enough to not get a warning
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Maj Ballard

Is there a huge discipline problem at your unit? Is there some reason why a demerit system is needed? (If we implemented the plan you've outlined, honestly we would have maybe three warnings every six months, for the whole squadron.)

I'd recommend doing a MERIT system instead, where desirable behavior is rewarded. Perhaps assign points to various achievements and activities and award a Cadet of the Quarter or something.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

thefischNX01

yeah, it probably would have been prudent to include the merit part. 

Merits are simpler: any cadet can nominate another cadet for a merit.  It would have to be approved by the C/CC, and the DCC or the Squadron CC.  We already have a few cadets we want to recognize for achievements, and we would like to do it beyond simply announcing it at the squadron.  These achievements do not quiet warrant a commander's commendation though.  Unfortunately, we also have a cadet or two that could use a warning or demerit every once in a while to keep him/her in line.  I am lukewarm about the idea as a whole, which is why I posted it here to get some feedback.

Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing

Pylon

Terrible idea, in my opinion.  Your cadets should want to be at Civil Air Patrol and want to meet the standards and participate in the program.

Threatening them with "Perform excellently or we will demote you, then kick you out" is not exactly a motivational tool.

I guess my first question is what problem are you attempting to address?  Are you creating this problem "just because" or do you really have some situation that needs addressing?  Solutions in search of a problem are usually not good ideas; I bet there are other areas in a squadron that could benefit from a similar amount of attention and planning.

My second question is: Why aren't the established pieces of the Cadet Program, including regular CAPF 50 reviews, promotion review boards, Letters of Counseling and Reprimand, and annual awards (like Cadet of the Year, AFA, AFSA, VFW NCOotY, VFW CotY, etc.) sufficient tools to screen cadets for issues, give cadets guidance on how to improve, and motivate them to excel?

My guess is that if you're having issues with cadets, you can solve them more effectively by using existing and approved methods like CAPF 50s, promotion review boards, and mentoring.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

dwb

http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=8047

Overall, I think it's a terrible idea. I've expressed my discontent for merit/demerit systems in the past, but it boils down to:

1. Criteria being too subjective
2. Records being too difficult to maintain
3. Staff not taking enough time to issue merits, while the demerits seem to flow like wine
4. Problem cadets making a game out of getting more demerits, which undermines the system

Edited to add: And for the last time, enough with the non-existent honor code.  CAP has Core Values, and they should be used as a basis for these kinds of things.

BillB

Nominate for merits???  Bad idea. Cadet Jones gets all his buddies to nominate him. OR Cadet MAJOR Smith suggests to Cadet AIRMAN Doe that she nominate him. In all the cases where a Squadron used merits/demerits that I've seen, the system did not work. To many demerits or merits were given based more on personalitys and cadet relationships than  the intended system.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Maj Ballard

We have a Cadet of the Quarter / Staff Member of the Quarter system, and the criteria are objective. Pass a test... earn X points. Pass with 90% or above... earn X points extra. Pass PT... earn points. Attend a squadron activity... attend a Group or Wing level activity... win a contest (VFW essay, etc.)... recruit a new cadet... Answer the CAP trivia question in the squadron newsletter, etc. It's worked so far. The cadets really enjoy it, and it's increased morale, especially for the newer cadets.
L. Ballard, Major, CAP

Gunner C

Quote from: dwb on January 25, 2008, 09:15:34 PM
http://forums.cadetstuff.org/viewtopic.php?t=8047

Overall, I think it's a terrible idea. I've expressed my discontent for merit/demerit systems in the past, but it boils down to:

1. Criteria being too subjective
2. Records being too difficult to maintain
3. Staff not taking enough time to issue merits, while the demerits seem to flow like wine
4. Problem cadets making a game out of getting more demerits, which undermines the system

Edited to add: And for the last time, enough with the non-existent honor code.  CAP has Core Values, and they should be used as a basis for these kinds of things.

Completely agree.  Use some leadership - counsel your cadets regularly.  Let them know monthly, every other month, or quarterly where their strengths are, their weaknesses, and a plan to work on both.  That's how leaders work and how leaders are developed.

GC

thefischNX01

All correct and valid points that were in the back of my mind.  The reason I posted it here was to see what others were doing.  I must say, I'm happy I did.   Thanks a lot for your input.  I have decided not to implement this program as a result. 

Thanks again.
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing