New Squadron need cadet help

Started by westover, January 16, 2008, 02:45:40 PM

westover

The squadron was created in December. While I am really green I am trying to do the best job I am able to do. I need to know what is needed for each advancement in rank for the cadets., Where do I go to find it? I don't want to slow any of them down. They earn it and they deserve it. I don't want them to become discouraged.
Thanks Jeff

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Pylon

Just a few tips from somebody who's been rebuilding a Cadet Program that was previous mismanaged:

One of the bigger fallacies is that to promote, a cadet only needs to pass the written test.  An achievement really is a series of things that the cadet must accomplish, all just as important as the other.   For example, for the Curry Achievement, the cadets must pass the written leadership test, pass their PT test for their Phase I gender/age bracket, attend the "Ground School" moral leadership/character development session, recite the cadet oath from memory, be active in the squadron, and have a complete minimum service uniform.

It may seem easier to let some things slide when the unit is new (especially when certain things like a complete uniform may be difficult to get together), but it's a very slippery slope and very difficult to later return to full 100% compliance.  Start with the full requirements from the very beginning and hold everyone to high standards and your cadets will feel very accomplished when they get promoted.

Ask Group HQ for some temporary assistance, particularly if they have anybody with CP ratings that can come to give you points and advice, help you get your records set up properly, and lead you through the typical cycle of Cadet Program Management duties.

I highly recommend getting SIMS set up on your squadron laptop or a computer at your meeting location.  You can use it to easily track attendance at meetings, track each cadets progression, etc.   It will pull your members records in from CAPWATCH, and if you enter things like each cadet's PT scores and test scores, etc., it will tell you if and when each cadet is eligible to be promoted, tell you based on their age and stage if they passed PT, tracks time in grade and all sorts of great stuff.  It will automatically generate forms, like the 52-1s and 66s.  It will automatically generate squadron contact rosters, birthday lists, and all sorts of handy, time-saving things.  The important thing with using SIMS is that you need to keep putting all the information in regularly, otherwise it's not useful as a tool.

For sure, take advantage of the brand-spanking new CAPP 52-15 Cadet Staff Handbook.  It will be very useful to you, as senior members managing and very useful to your new cadet staff members.

Since your unit is new, unless you have a ton of cadets coming in from other units, you'll likely have a lot of fresh faces, and Cadet Airmen.  Strongly consider following the model recommended on pages 2 and 3.  See page 54 for a good squadron structure with your new cadets, as well.

Of course, it goes without saying, please feel free to ask any and all your questions here.  There are lots of people with experience who are willing to share that experience and their collective wisdom.  :)

Certainly, my wishes for much success with your new squadron!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

flyguy06

ditto.

But I have a question. Define active. What makes a cadet "active"? Is it attending meetings regularly? Is it doing outside meeting CAP activities?

BlackKnight

^^
It's attending meetings regularly, and providing advance notice and legitimate excuses for meetings that are missed.  The Curry Achievement requires participation in a "unit activity".  Normally that's some type of weekend activity such as an FTX or a field trip.  However, it could also be a "special" activity such as a service project or short field trip conducted on a regular meeting night.

As a cadet increases in grade and authority, attendance at the outside activities become more important. For example, you don't want your cadet 1st Sergeant missing all your unit activities because they've chosen sports over CAP. Such choices are allowed and the cadet may stay in the program but they shouldn't hold key leadership positions if they won't be showing up.
Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

flyguy06

Thanks. I was wondring because my Squadron doesnt do FTX's or many wekend activities. A large amount of my cadets are seven day adventist folks and they cant do extra curricular activities on Saturdays

Al Sayre

No disrespect to their religious beliefs, but simple ignorance/curiosity about them on my part.  What do they do if you have a real mission on a Saturday?  Also how do they attend encampment etc.?  Any Chaplains who can fill me in on this? 
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

westover

I am looking at this place regularly, I looked at SIMs and I am looking forward to putting it on the squadron computer. When it arrives.
Thanks everyone Jeff

DC

We also have several cadets that do not participate in activities on Sundays so they can attend Church, in the case of overnights they usually leave Saturday night, or early in the morning.

We usually have our Chaplain offer an optional religious service, but several parents are adamant about their cadet going to their regular church...