Moral Leadership Topic

Started by Major Lord, December 03, 2007, 09:45:55 PM

Major Lord

Help! I am filling in for Moral Leadership tonight and need a good topic. Any ideas?

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Capt M. Sherrod

Sir, you may consider using the Flight Time Guide in the Pamphlets Section of www.cap.gov
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

Pylon

One of the hottest topics we discussed at our squadron was the morality of downloading music from the internet.  I had to stifle discussion just so we could leave on time.  Definitely something we will revisit in the future, too.

Topics that apply to things the cadets do in their lives, or will shortly, seem to draw the greatest input.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Pylon on December 04, 2007, 02:37:27 AM
One of the hottest topics we discussed at our squadron was the morality of downloading music from the internet.  I had to stifle discussion just so we could leave on time.  Definitely something we will revisit in the future, too.

Topics that apply to things the cadets do in their lives, or will shortly, seem to draw the greatest input.

That was the first one that came to my mind as well, since it hits squarely on ethics.

Online conduct and identity is another good one...

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

My resolution to the problem was to put it out to the cadets for group discussion ( actually, I told them if they did not come up with a a topic, I would have to talk about drugs being bad, something no one has ever mentioned to them....) The topic for the night became an issue regarding one of our cadets experiencing bully troubles in school, their rights and responsibilites in dealing with that situation, and when they could morally take action to prevent or defend against physical assaults. Some of their ideas surprised me. For instance, many did not believe that being physically imprisoned  constituted a serious breach of their persons, or that a black cadet would be morally justified in attacking a white student who called him the "N" word ( No, not "Navy") Kids say the cutest things.....It was a very spirited and interactive discussion, and cadets lead it into surprising areas, the morality of war, the futility of pacifism, etc. Reminded me of freshman philosophy class.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

capchiro

I'm sorry, but I think I didn't understand what you wrote above.  Are you saying that a black cadet would be morally justified in attacking a white student who called him the "N" word??  Please clarify.  Thank you.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

jimmydeanno

Quote from: capchiro on December 04, 2007, 11:42:28 PM
I'm sorry, but I think I didn't understand what you wrote above.  Are you saying that a black cadet would be morally justified in attacking a white student who called him the "N" word??  Please clarify.  Thank you.

Just remove the previous section you get...

Quote from: Major Lord on December 04, 2007, 07:05:01 PM
For instance, many did not believe that ... a black cadet would be morally justified in attacking a white student who called him the "N" word ( No, not "Navy")
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Lord

One black cadet ( actually a visiting JROTC student in the process of applying for membership in CAP) felt strongly that he would be morally justified in attacking a fellow student for calling him the racial epithet in question. I am sure you are not seriously suggesting that I would condone violence for mere name calling. The vast majority, but not all, of the cadets were skeptical about the morality of attacking a fellow student on this basis. Jimmydeano correctly interpreted my sentence. I found the idea that they would accept that there is a "superword",  having so much more power over any other idea, that they may morally commit crimes to punish it's very use, to be astounding! The popular culture has apparently removed reason from education.

Major Lord

mikeylikey

^ YIKES gentleman this may turn into something other than what we want it to turn into. 

Lets leave the words and examples out of discussion from here. 

BECAUSE as noted, crimes are created to match words........lets not loose someone here to the groups offended by a single word.  Don't be the guy who is racist simply for bringing forward an example.  Because there are those out there that would love to make a person into a racist for no reason. 

Anyway.......if you want to read about words.....The Army sent an email around regarding what "derogatory" words should not be used in the workplace.  I have a link to the site, and must say I am shocked.  Shocked that they would send it around, shocked that there are some derogatory words that were not included and shocked that, eventually someone will loose their job over the email.  It is a good read.  Here it is ----->  http://michellemalkin.com/2007/11/28/more-diversity-lunacy-the-army-intelligence-and-security-commands-list-of-forbidden-words/
What's up monkeys?

capchiro

Thank you for the clarification.  I was concerned as there is such an issue as "fighting words" that have been used as a defense in assault cases successfully and with the "political correctness" of today's society I am bothered by such.  I am glad you took the initiative and time to work with the cadets to help them discover and reinforce their moral compass.  Thank you.  Only with such work will we truly build the leaders that this country needs and deserves.  Please keep up the good work.  I know we all walk on shaky ground when we work with the moral issues and we all need to feel strong in our commitment to make sure our youth know right from wrong and not just what they have seen on the daily news...Again, thank you.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154