Good things your cadets do...

Started by jimmydeanno, November 30, 2007, 04:31:54 PM

jimmydeanno

I really just wanted to brag share some simple, but notable things and thought it might be a good opportunity for you guys to share too so that we can make ourselves feel good!

Over the last few months I've posted about our squadron's success with air show recruiting.  We ended up with a total of 18 new cadets so we have aproximately 35 at our meetings now. But that's not what I think is great.

We selected a new C/SSgt to head up our cadet orientation program for these cadets in September.  She has less than a year in CAP but is highly motivated and a sharp cookie.  She took this challenge head on and is doing a fantastic job - I'm really proud of her.

She has been training them and guiding them through their first achievement.  Last night, during our promotion ceremony we promoted 15 cadets to C/Amn! (The other three are done with everything exept an outside activity...so next month for them :) )

These new cadets have been working really hard to earn their first stripe and are proud to be in CAP.  Some I've noticed are already natural leaders and are exited to take on some roles in the squadron like Element Leader and Flight Sergeant in a few months.

I just get a sense of pride and feel as though I am making a worthwhile contribution to the organization when I see these cadets working as hard as they do and accomplishing things. 

I think what really encourages me is that the squadron's I end up joining are usually are about to hit rock bottom (2 cadets attending meetings, 1 senior, no activities, etc) and then within a year there is new life and excitement.

For years I've been trying to really put a finger on "why" I send a check every year and I think I've finally realized it.  Nights like last night when 15 cadets are grinning ear to ear running to show their parents their first ribbon.

Just had to share...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt M. Sherrod

OUTSTANDING, Jimmy.  Keep up the excellent work that you are doing.
Michael Sherrod, Capt, CAP
Professional Development Officer
Hanscom Composite Squadron, NER-MA-043

smgilbert101

That's great to hear!  The success stories are often few and far between.  It's great to hear good news.

I have a 12 year old cadet who, in addition to her regular tests (always aces them), spit shines her boots/shoes, presses her uniforms, has gotten her GTM3, teaches safety classes (complete with PowerPoint slideshows) and is even taking FEMA courses online!  All in her first 6 mo.s.  She also finds the time to sing in her school chior and help take care of her 3 year old brother. 

It's the cadets that really put forth the effort make all of this really worthwhile.
Steve Gilbert
SWR-TX-434
Too much rack for my uniform, favorite job is "mentor" (or was that mental..hmm)
ex-alot of things and sometimes gumbly old bear.

Duke Dillio

Man I'd love to have a squadron with 35 cadets showing up on a regular basis.  Great job there Jimmy.

It's great to see the cadet learning and growing.

Here's something I do for motivation specific to ground operations.  When I get a cadet that expresses interest in becoming a ground team member, I issue them a ground team badge.  I buy these myself and issue out of a personal stash.  This generally gets the cadet motivated to complete the requirements to earn the badge.  On a different note, the other cadets who already have the badge push the newer cadets to earn it.  Sometimes peer pressure can be used in a positive manner.

Stonewall

Quote from: sargrunt on December 11, 2007, 03:39:45 AMHere's something I do for motivation specific to ground operations.  When I get a cadet that expresses interest in becoming a ground team member, I issue them a ground team badge.  I buy these myself and issue out of a personal stash.  This generally gets the cadet motivated to complete the requirements to earn the badge.  On a different note, the other cadets who already have the badge push the newer cadets to earn it.  Sometimes peer pressure can be used in a positive manner.

That was something I started doing in about '96 when I left Fairfax and became the DCC of your old squadron, Tim.  And later on, when a few cadets taught me how to use a computer, I started making and issuing a GTM Badge "Certificate of Award".  Had a GTM badge watermarked and had all this cool stuff written.  Need to do that again.  More importantly was the ceremony itself.  Always took place at the end of an FTX.  Send them home feeling good and make them ready for the next one.  For a while, when I had the Ground Ops coins made up, I issued those too.  Man I made a lot of money from my job in DC.  I couldn't give away water with the money I make as a cop.
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 30, 2007, 04:31:54 PMFor years I've been trying to really put a finger on "why" I send a check every year and I think I've finally realized it.  Nights like last night when 15 cadets are grinning ear to ear running to show their parents their first ribbon.

You know, Jimmy, those truly are the times that remind you why I've spent about $1200 on membership costs alone.

The way you manage or lead a squadron is probably completely opposite of the way I do it.  But the cool thing is the end result; where the rubber meets the road.  I've been in your shoes, just like most CP guys who have been in for a while.  Showing up to a squadron hanging by a thread and a year later, POW!  You're thriving again.  What's sad is when you leave 3 or 4 years later and learn that the squadron is back the way you found it...

Sargrunt's old squadron from his cadet days was like that.  I got the call asking me if I'd come try to revive the CP over at our sister squadron.  I was just a leadership officer but had the motivation, drive and enough experience to get the ball rolling.  I showed up and only 6 cadets and 1 former cadet-turned-senior who thought he was still a cadet.  I ran off 3 of them, 1/2 of the cadet program was gone by my 2nd meeting.  So it was me and 3 cadets.

By the next year....

There are three cadet officers.  1 came from my previous squadron to command the new one, one transfered in from an overseas squadron and the other cadet officer was there on a break from college.  The senior member was a guy I recruited to help me out who was a former Earhart cadet.
Serving since 1987.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Stonewall on December 11, 2007, 04:22:37 AM
What's sad is when you leave 3 or 4 years later and learn that the squadron is back the way you found it...

That's what has already happened to the squadron that I left a year ago.  I was talking to one of "my" cadets there and she mentioned that the squadron hasn't held a squadron level activity in almost 6 months.  When I left the squadron we had on average 65 people attending meetings (split about 45 cadets and 20 seniors).  One year later, they are down to about 10 cadets who show up regularly...it saddens me.

The thing is, there isn't much I can do about that situation.  However, it made me think about what I need to do to try to make sure it doesn't happen again.  It's tough because the squadrons that are struggling are usually/always doing so because of poor local leadership. 

In my case, we move rather frequently, every two years or so.  This makes it pretty hard because by the time I go to "leave" the cadets that were recruited are only just starting to earn their WB Awards and you might have one close to the Mitchell.  The newly recruited senior staff also doesn't have too much experience under their belt.

It's hard because I get e-mails and such from "my" cadets wishing that things were like they were and how they don't get to do anything anymore - or how they want to do things and are willing to organize them but don't have the senior support. 

-----------------------------------------------------------

All you other guys (and gals), thanks for the kudos. 

For those of you who 'wish' you had larger squadrons and such, it is possible.  It may be part of why you are here on this board to get ideas on how to increase the size of you squadrons.  You can really increase the size of your squadrons with one good recruiting event, but it needs to be well organized and professional.

The rest is up to local leadership, put yourself up to the challenge.  A good friend of mine told me that the average CAP squadron has 15 members, which means that most really have about 7 that show up.  I think I would go out of my mind if any squadron I was a part of was that small.  In my opinion it just breeds stagnancy and complacancy...

Oh well, I think I'm just rambling now - but it isn't often that something 'truly' sparks my interest...

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad to see people talking about something other than their clothes :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Tim Medeiros

A few months back I got a letter from one of my best friends who is away as BMT right now, her sister (a CAP Cadet from Kansas) had recently received a youth volunteer award.  Here is a quote from an article found here http://www.kansasprideprogram.ksu.edu/PRIDE/PDF/reviews/Pride%20review%202007.pdf

QuoteChristian Sellers (Fort Scott) In her third year participating in the PRIDE program at Fort Scott Middle School,
Christian has been involved in 30 of the 35 PRIDE projects this year. Whether Christian is helping to provide
childcare to community groups like MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers), volunteering at a nursing home, helping
with fund-raisers, or baking cookies for the local tourist center, she is always willing to help. In addition, Christian
is involved in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet program and volunteers for the commodity foods program and her church,
while maintaining straight A's at school. Fort Scott is proud of the commitment Christian has shown to helping in her
community.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Duke Dillio

Quote from: Stonewall on December 11, 2007, 04:16:30 AM
Quote from: sargrunt on December 11, 2007, 03:39:45 AMHere's something I do for motivation specific to ground operations.  When I get a cadet that expresses interest in becoming a ground team member, I issue them a ground team badge.  I buy these myself and issue out of a personal stash.  This generally gets the cadet motivated to complete the requirements to earn the badge.  On a different note, the other cadets who already have the badge push the newer cadets to earn it.  Sometimes peer pressure can be used in a positive manner.

That was something I started doing in about '96 when I left Fairfax and became the DCC of your old squadron, Tim.  And later on, when a few cadets taught me how to use a computer, I started making and issuing a GTM Badge "Certificate of Award".  Had a GTM badge watermarked and had all this cool stuff written.  Need to do that again.  More importantly was the ceremony itself.  Always took place at the end of an FTX.  Send them home feeling good and make them ready for the next one.  For a while, when I had the Ground Ops coins made up, I issued those too.  Man I made a lot of money from my job in DC.  I couldn't give away water with the money I make as a cop.

Great minds think alike....

So why am I thinking like you.....

Questions to ponder...