Traditional cadet program vs school enrichment program

Started by RiverAux, October 28, 2007, 09:14:09 PM

RiverAux

The school enrichment program seems to be gaining a lot of ground and I recall seeing some stats about the increasing percentage of total CAP cadets that are part of that program (I might have even posted them here someplace, but don't recall).  I think CAP has probably about reached its potential for forming new traditional cadet or composite squadrons, except for perhaps in some of the smaller cities in rural areas where a stand alone unit could probably be formed if an adult grabbed the ball and ran with it. 

But, it seems undeniable that the school program is definetely the wave of the future for cadet programs in urban and suburban areas.   The explosive growth in school program units says to me that for whatever reason it is much, much easier to get a new one of those going than a new traditional unit. 

My experience has been with the traditional programs and I haven't had any contact with school programs, but I see that several on this board are.  Can you speak to some of the differences, if any, that you see between the traditional cadet unit or cadets in composite squadrons vs those involved in the school programs? 

Are the school program cadets more AE focused rather than ES or "military" focused?  Are they getting supported by other units for orientation rides?  Is there any movement from cadets who start in the school program into more traditional programs after they're in CAP for a while?  If so, why did they move? 

If you're in a town with both types of units, are potential recruits for traditional squadrons ending up joining the programs in the schools instead, causing negative impacts on the older, traditional units? 

Do the cadets in the school programs end up participating as much in other cadet activities (encampments, cadet competitions, color guard, etc)?

Dad2-4

I'm currently in the process of trying to start up a middle school based squadron where the kids would not otherwise be involved with the nearest composite squadron about 6 miles away. Mine is a very urban school in a very urban district on the edge of Houston. So far I have about 20 kids filling out applications and eating up every piece of information I can give them until we get our charter. I can't tell you how anxious they are to get into uniform and start doing real activities. These kids are hungry for it. I'm almost 100% certain none of these kids would ever be involved with CAP otherwise. Most of them aren't even aware of JROTC until they start signing up for 9th grade classes in April or May.
I'll definitely be tapping at least three other units, 2 composite and one Senior, for o-flights and any other assistance they can offer.

flyguy06

Does anyone know where or how I could get a pying job working for one of these middle school CAP units? I lover working withthe Cadet Program. If I could incorporate it with a career that would be great

Capt Rivera

Quote from: flyguy06 on October 29, 2007, 01:52:38 PM
Does anyone know where or how I could get a pying job working for one of these middle school CAP units? I lover working withthe Cadet Program. If I could incorporate it with a career that would be great

Also interested in that info.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 28, 2007, 09:14:09 PM
But, it seems undeniable that the school program is definitely the wave of the future for cadet programs in urban and suburban areas.   The explosive growth in school program units says to me that for whatever reason it is much, much easier to get a new one of those going than a new traditional unit. 

Please define "explosive".

All I have seen so far is about 10 units as part of the pilot program in Alabama, and from anecdotal information, the majority of these units have been in areas where the children have very challenging personal situations and the schools are reaching for any life preserver they can find.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Dad2-4 on October 28, 2007, 11:50:26 PM
I'm currently in the process of trying to start up a middle school based squadron where the kids would not otherwise be involved with the nearest composite squadron about 6 miles away...

<snip>

...I'm almost 100% certain none of these kids would ever be involved with CAP otherwise. Most of them aren't even aware of JROTC until they start signing up for 9th grade classes in April or May.

I keep hearing this about the MSP - but the question I have is, Would they not be involved because they have no access to CAP, or because they are 10?

If age is not a factor, just charter a new unit, with 20 kids you'll be ahead of the curve from the gate. If its the age, it remains to be seen whether this is a good idea or not. 

If it results in better "real" CAP candidates when they reach 12, well, then Que Sera, Sera, however is it results in further watering down of the "real" program to allow for the MSP kids to participate, we're running down the wrong street.

Most 12 year olds are ill equipped to handle their first year in CAP - try catching one with a wet Curry certificate at an encampment - I guarantee you that the older cadets are going to have no patience or ability to handle MSP-age kids in an encampment environment.

And if this just remains a "separate but equal" program, similar to the cub scouts, we run the risk of dividing our resources even further, especially with regards to senior members.

I can see why it has appeal, and the initial startups have some built-in resources like the school itself, but when it starts poking around large urban areas like Chicago, its going to be a whole different ball game.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

QuotePlease define "explosive".
Keep in mind that I'm talking about the current middle school program and not the new kiddie cadet program.  A while back some NHQ board minutes quoted some membership numbers from the middle school program and they constituted about 10% of our entire cadet membership -- just think how big this would be if implemented on a large scale.   

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 15, 2007, 09:50:30 PM
QuotePlease define "explosive".
Keep in mind that I'm talking about the current middle school program and not the new kiddie cadet program.  A while back some NHQ board minutes quoted some membership numbers from the middle school program and they constituted about 10% of our entire cadet membership -- just think how big this would be if implemented on a large scale.   

OK, I'm confused, because that's what I thought we were talking about here...

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

The school enrichment program is the middle school program.  That new fangled AE program is something else.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on November 15, 2007, 11:17:57 PM
The school enrichment program is the middle school program.  That new fangled AE program is something else.

So the MSP is just regular-aged cadets in the standard program that happens to have a school's support?

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Here's a link to the CAP page on the program:

http://level2.cap.gov/index.cfm?nodeID=5753

I have to take some time to read all this...

"That Others May Zoom"

SSgt Rudin

WIWAC I joined threw the pre-middle school program, middle school program. Basically the local cadet squadron had a "club" at all the local middle schools, it started about 1/2 way into the 1st quarter and 3rd quarter, you did POCBTS (now FACTS) at the school once a week for 8 weeks and at the end had a lock in with all the other doolies at the other middle schools and took your Curry exam. After the lock in you started going to the "normal" squadron meetings on Thursday night. At the time if you were a middle schooler this was the only way to join the squadron (that is unless you didn't live in the city and therefor didn't go to one of the middle schools.) While the program was running my squadron had about 100 cadets, with about 60 active. Then the new middle school program started and we had to do away with ours :(.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP