Main Menu

AZWG Drone Wiki

Started by Lt Seidell, March 24, 2022, 11:41:00 PM

Lt Seidell

All,

Hope you've been well. Just wanted to pop back in and mention that I've started working on the UASMP portion of the Drone Wiki. There's some interesting new content available now. I check this forum a few times a week. If you have collaborative feedback, I'm all ears.

Thx!

Lt Brett Seidell
AZWG DOU

wacapgh

Any update on the requirements for the Cadet SUAS Badge? Not cadets getting a Technician or Pilot qualification, but the Cadets only Badge?

Lt Seidell

Quote from: wacapgh on May 24, 2022, 08:58:41 PMAny update on the requirements for the Cadet SUAS Badge? Not cadets getting a Technician or Pilot qualification, but the Cadets only Badge?

Last I read about that was from the Nov 2021 sUAS Programmatic Update. It said the ICL for hard badge requirements was still in draft. I think it remains in draft at this point. That said, R39-1 does currently allow the wearing of sUAS badges.

Vanguard currently offers the Pre-Solo sUAS Badge, which is in the exact same configuration as the Cadet sUAS Badge from R39-1. After seeing this, and speaking with colleagues in NYWG, the way I understand it is this: The Pre-Solo Badge is for cadets who have underwent an orientation clinic, or have otherwise received primary flight training, and have demonstrated clear competency with the aircraft and basic safety elements, but they have not yet completed a Form 5U Evaluation.

According to the Nov. 2021 Programmatic Update, once you pass a Form 5U Evaluation with Recreational Pilot Endorsement, seniors and cadets become eligible for the Basic sUAS Pilot Badge.

My commander informed me that award of the badge also requires a formal CAPF 2A be submitted to them.
Lt Brett Seidell
AZWG DOU

Lt Seidell

All,

Just wanted to update you that NHQ Volunteer sUAS Program Manager Joel Shreenan (GAWG) approved the formal name change from "AZWG Drone Wiki" to "Civil Air Patrol Drone Wiki". It is anticipated that the wiki will be linked to from the National Website.

I had to switch link domains, so the new link for the wiki is: https://capdronewiki.notion.site/Civil-Air-Patrol-Drone-Wiki-2b606dfb3c074ea9bde17e2a83f0d026
Lt Brett Seidell
AZWG DOU

Lt Seidell

Youtube algorithms just served me this video. Interesting discussion about CAP sUAS from Feb. 2022.

Lt Brett Seidell
AZWG DOU

etodd

Quote from: wacapgh on May 24, 2022, 08:58:41 PMAny update on the requirements for the Cadet SUAS Badge? Not cadets getting a Technician or Pilot qualification, but the Cadets only Badge?

Ugghh. Ask it this way:

"I'm really interested as a Cadet in the sUAS Program, and want to know what opportunities there are? How can I get involved?"

(Then, after you've done everything, there may, or may not, be a badge or certificate for you. But that should always be an after thought.  Don't do things just for bling. Let it be a nice surprise at a meeting one day if you get presented with a badge.)

JMHO ... others may differ ... obviously.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: etodd on June 17, 2022, 12:26:00 AMJMHO ... others may differ ... obviously.

Reading far too much into a simple question. Not every request to understand requirements for a piece of CAP bling is part of a quest to pencil-whip or otherwise do the minimum necessary to tick the boxes.

wacapgh

Quote from: etodd on June 17, 2022, 12:26:00 AM

Ugghh. Ask it this way:

"I'm really interested as a Cadet in the sUAS Program, and want to know what opportunities there are? How can I get involved?"

I haven't been a Cadet for 40 years...

As an Adult Leader I am trying find an NHQ published definition of what is required for a cadet to earn the Cadet sUAS Badge that was announced in ICL 21-01 to R 39-1, 9 AUGUST 2021

Lt Seidell

I was recently able to secure a draft copy of the award requirements you are asking about. Take a look: CAPR 35-6 with sUAS Additions v2.doc

There is also a robust thread discussing these ratings over on the CAP sUAS Facebook Page.
Lt Brett Seidell
AZWG DOU